Liverpool sign Bent

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 06:56 pm
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9797/liverpoolz.jpg

Rockhead

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:40 pm
@hingehead,
only just a little, or is this a joke americans are too dense to understand?
djjd62

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:42 pm
@Rockhead,
canadians don't get it either
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:52 pm
@Rockhead,
Didn't work in New Mexico, either.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:55 pm
@roger,
The Latvians make it unanimous.

I don't get it.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 08:01 pm
It's a football joke.
djjd62

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 08:03 pm
@Robert Gentel,
from what i've been lead to believe, football is no joking matter
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 08:04 pm
@hingehead,
<jumps up and down waving madly>

I get it. I get it.
I think.
I think I heard this on the CBC (but not like incredibly recently eh)

It sort of goes with the Bud get Truck story.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 08:32 pm
Sorry guys. It's a joke for English football fans. Darren Bent is a fairly famous English footballer (soccer player) and noted goal scorer who plays for Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs). Liverpool is one of the big four premier league clubs, and all clubs are now beginning to prepare for the coming season by buying and selling players. The headline is eminently believable until you see the bad pictorial pun.
panzade

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 08:43 pm
@hingehead,
Very Happy
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 08:47 pm
@hingehead,
ahh, a soccer joke.

no wonder...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 01:11 am
@hingehead,
Ahhhh. Liverpool Signs Bent. It's all crystal clear now. Dawn breaks over Marblehead, as they're fond of saying in Massachusetts.

But Rockhead's right, of course (was it Rockhead?): football is no joking matter.

(No, in fact it ws djjd26...or 62...or...)
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 05:22 pm
I forgot about this topic. Strangely enough Bent signed with Sunderland, my EPL team (but only for the last 40 years). Darren had a brilliant first season with us scoring a swag of goals.
spidergal

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 12:21 am
Fabulous! Love it!
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 12:22 am
@hingehead,
Sunderland aren't doing too well, are they?

But so is Liverpool. Sigh.
hingehead

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 01:37 am
@spidergal,
Not so bad spidey, only two losses, but humiliated by Newcastle last weekend.

My brother is a Liverpool supporter too - it's been decades (actually, never) since the last time we were above them in the table at this point in the season. We'll come good, and your guys will won't get relegated, but I think they can forget about European football next season.
spidergal

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 04:10 am
@hingehead,
Yeah, hopefully, HH. Anfield men do seem to be getting back to winning ways. Honestly, I suport them because my fave guy Torres is in there. I know a that's very "teen" approach to premier league football, but my brain works like that. I supported Chelsea till the time Ballack was with them.

But I like the Black Cats too! Didn't they hold Arsenal and Man United to draws this season?

I've also realised I've developed a soft corner for West Brom. I mean who beats Arsenal in their maiden top-flight season! And for a day, they actually managed to pop into top four, but since Arsenal and others won their matches next day, Albion receded to sixth on goal difference. I know they lost their last match, but I wouldn't be suprised if they finish in top five!
hingehead

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 06:37 am
@spidergal,
I don't think supporting a team because you like a particular player is a bad thing, in fact it's more intellectually honest and less tribal.

My fave was always Thierre Henry, but Sunderland is my team.

I too am impressed by West Brom. Also like Blackpool's attack at any cost method.
Sadly experience tells be WBA won't make top 7. They just don't have the money to maintain a top level squad for a whole season of injuries, but Di Matteo has got them believing they deserve to be top flight - great stuff.

I actually like watching Sunderland play more than I care about the result (not something I would have said last year or before), they're coming along. Some really good young players - Jordan Henderson and the Egyptian Elmohady are entertaining. Just wish someone other than Bent or O.G. could score for us. We'll get there though. In past seasons I would have expected the worse but this term has earned the right to be confident about their abilities.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 06:40 am
@spidergal,
Beat Villa and Man City too, and a draw with the reds.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 06:43 am
Alf Wight, the real "James Herriot" of All Creatures Great and Small fame, was born in Sunderland, and was a Sunderland football fan all his life.

EDIT: I had to go check to make sure, but he took the name James Herriot from Jim Herriot, the goalkeeper for Birmingham City in a game against Man U.
0 Replies