Liverpool sign Bent

spidergal

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 10:36 pm
Liverpool beat Chelsea 2-0, courtesy of a Torres brace!!!!

I really can't express my bloody joy at this.
margo

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 11:37 pm
@spidergal,
Bah! Fooey!
spidergal

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 12:05 am
@margo,
Blues fan, you Margo?

And fooey is Ozzie slang?
hingehead

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:20 am
@spidergal,
Pretty impressive! We finally got a win too - without Darren Bent!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:31 am
@spidergal,
Fooey is American slang, too, although it is rarely used these days, when all the kids think it's cool to use really foul language.
spidergal

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:34 am
@Setanta,
Thanks for filling me in!

Reminds me of a quote I read somewhere: Americans have given us just two things - slang and fast food.

No harm intended, of course, Set.
Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 07:37 am
The slang is a wonderful thing--i would hate to think of a world in which there were not a great diversity of language and expression. The more slang the betterer.

You can keep the fast food, though . . . well, except for fish and chips, which ain't exactly American.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 08:02 am
@spidergal,
I always liked the line 'England and America are two nations divided by a common language' which of course is only vaguely relevant as I'm Australian and Spidey is Indian - who are both equally divided by a common language.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 08:29 am
What about the fish and chips . . . can one get the fish and chips in Oz?
hingehead

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 08:49 am
@Setanta,
Absolutely, though we like our chips crispier and our fish barramundi or coral trout....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 09:11 am
Then there is hope for the antipodes yet . . .
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 08:03 pm
@spidergal,
I arrived in London in 1997 on the day of the FA Cup final, which Chelsea won.

As I was getting the cab to my friend's place, I listened to some after-match discussion of the game and it's players.

When I got to Alison's place, her good friend Johnny was there, and he'd been a Chelsea fan all his life- and was just about crying for joy. Alison and her family had absolutely zero interest in football, and as I had heard some duscussion on the way there, was able to sort of discuss things with him.

I made a friend for life, and have kept an eye on Chelsea ever since.

Mind you - a Wallabies fan first and foremost.
spidergal

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 11:13 pm
@margo,
Understood.

I often feel I might have a thing for the All Blacks.
Don1

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 09:39 pm
I'm from Lancashire and I don't get it Confused
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 12:44 am
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:

I often feel I might have a thing for the All Blacks.

Ain't nithin'wrong with that - haven't we all?

It's the uniforms, I think.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 02:18 am
Once were, and should still be, warriors
Martin Flanagan
November 6, 2010
http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/once-were-and-should-still-be-warriors-20101105-17hkg.html

IN NOVEMBER 2005, in The Times, former Welsh winger and British Lions manager Gerald Davies wrote something I was amazed to read about the place of the haka in professional rugby.
The controversy over the haka re-awoke this week after an article in the Sunday Times by Welsh rugby writer Stephen Jones.
Stephen Jones opened his article by declaring: "Pre-game posturing has no place in rugby today." So there you are. The haka is posturing. He goes on. "The All Blacks and their followers have made it … an instrument of the worst kind of sporting arrogance." That's strong stuff - a verbal haka, it might be said. Jones assures us that opposition to the haka is growing and one of its critics recently referred to it as a ''politically correct lunacy''. And if there's one phrase we can take our bearings from in Jones's article, it's that one.

Full artical
http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/once-were-and-should-still-be-warriors-20101105-17hkg.html
margo

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 08:19 pm
@dadpad,
May have a point, consdering the problems with the rugby league match Oz vs NZ in N Z last week.

Apparently the over-long haka prompted a range of missiles from the stands. Sounds charming!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:10 pm
@margo,
Well Margo, care for a wager on the Black Cats visit to Stamford Bridge this Saturday? Give us a four goal start and you're on!

With you on the Wallabies - long for the days of the team dominated by the great Brumbies players at the turn of the millenium: No Knees Larkham, Gorgeous George Gregan, Melonhead Finnegan, Roffy, Tugboat Kafer, Justin 'The Plank' Harrison. Sigh. I used to like watching Australian Rugby.

As long as the All Blacks don't win the RWC I'll be happy.
margo

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 12:34 am
@hingehead,
They're currently said to be the best team in the world, hinge (even though we beat ém 2 weeks ago) - but they usually choke in the RWC.

I found out only yesterday the the Wallabies tour matches, or at least tests, are being broadcast on Channel 10. What are they doing there? I presumed that they weren't telecast on free-to-air, because they weren't on Ch 7. Be able to watch the Poms this weekend!
hingehead

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 12:40 am
@margo,
That is weird - seems like 10 gets the leftovers whenever 9 0r 7 have competing events
0 Replies