Walter Cronkite Is Seriously Ill

djjd62

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 02:04 pm
this could be the worst week for celebs ever

Walter Cronkite Is Seriously Ill
New York Times
By BRIAN STELTER; Compiled by Felicia R. Lee
Published: June 25, 2009

Walter Cronkite, the CBS News anchorman of the 1960s and ’70s, is seriously ill with cerebrovascular disease and is “not expected to recuperate,” his family members said in a statement Thursday. Recent news media reports have suggested that Mr. Cronkite, 92, is close to death. Family members said they wanted to “dispel false rumors.” “Sadly, he is very ill and is not expected to recuperate; he is resting at home surrounded by family, friends and a wonderful medical team,” Mr. Cronkite’s three children told The New York Post. “We thank everyone for their prayers and good wishes.” The family told the blog TVNewser that Mr. Cronkite had “apparently suffered for some years” from the disease. When Mr. Cronkite was the anchor of “CBS Evening News,” from 1962 to 1981, he was often described as “the most trusted man in America.” His demeanor and values have influenced generations of reporters.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,366 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 02:06 pm
@djjd62,
Thanks for letting us know. He is an original, a person who set the tone of TV news for decades. I hope that his passing is gentle.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 02:19 pm
I thought he was already dead!!!

But I will send along my prayers also.
I remember watching him as a kid.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 02:21 pm
If Cronkite should pass on, NASA won't be able to land anyone on the moon ever again, will they?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 02:21 pm
@mysteryman,
he is that sort of person, i would have had to guess if asked if he was dead or alive
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 02:29 pm
Funny thing. There are some people who are so much a part of our culture, that they are always with us, whether alive or dead. Walter Cronkite is one of them.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 03:00 pm
I did not like Cronkite. He always parroted the administration line regarding Vietnam. And then one day, he said, like a revelation out of the blue, that now we collectively realize the war was not like that at all. I thought, How hypocritical, and never listened to him again.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 03:23 pm

92 is a reasonable age to leave this mortal coil.
50 and 52... not so much.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:52 pm
@Phoenix32890,
He will remain a notable figure in American cultural history, but he hasn't been with us for a very long time now.

How many people below the age of 30 even know his name, let alone why he ever had fame.

It's interesting that for a time he was perceived to be the most trusted man in America, but it's hard to understand why he was.

Obviously people once believed the nightly news reliably delivered facts.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 06:05 am
It seems like yesterday only when we were all huddled together in a barn watching the moon landing with Cronkite yammering on. It was a pleasant night enough then the misting rain fell and we decided it was moondust. It took time and place in Connecticutt. At some time I fell asleep and then the event got lost in the past. I have rarely gone back to that state since.

I guess if he goes I can get rid of his book. The one he wrote a few years ago not one he gave to me.

Maybe Cronkite can get to last until July on the 40th anniversary of the moon landing.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 07:21 pm
@Sturgis,
Remind me not to try guessing to on any one else passing.
I got this one too close now.

Walter Cronkite will be missed.
0 Replies