Text in tables

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 06:55 pm
I have a 4-column table which requires text below each entry. The text runs the width of the document with 2 to 5 lines for each entry, but the table won't permit it to cross the boundary lines for the columns, and crowds it all into the first column.

I use Word 2003.

How can I combine the text and the table setup?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,578 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 07:23 pm
have you tried to hit the TAB button when you want to move to the next column?

0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 07:40 pm
@Tomkitten,
Try highlighting all the cells in a row and clicking on the "Merge Cells" command. This will remove the boundary lines between the columns in that row and allow you to insert text that runs the length of the whole table.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 03:30 am
Sully -Yes, I've worked with tabs, but tabs aren't exactly perfect; columns don't always line up neatly.

Shapeless - is this cell-merging in WORD? If so, where?

BTW - I tried this with WORKS spreadsheet & got an error message when I tried to print it. However, this is a separate problem & I now use EXCEL for spreadsheet matters. If your suggestion applies to EXCEL, where would I find the cell-merge?

Thank you both.

George

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:33 am
@Tomkitten,
Here's how to do it in Excel.

Highlight the cells you want to merge.
Right-click in that area and select "Format Cells . . ."
Select the "Alignment"tab.
In the "Text control" area, check the "Merge cells" checkbox.
Click "OK".
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 09:25 am
@Tomkitten,
Quote:
Shapeless - is this cell-merging in WORD? If so, where?

I'm afraid I can't speak for Word 2003, but it is in Word 2004. Do you have a menu item entitled "Table" anywhere? I imagine it must be somewhere near the command that allows you to insert a table. If you highlight the cells you want to merge and then right-click the mouse, that may also bring up the Table menu, and the "Merge Cells" command should be among the options.
0 Replies