Blimp-Shedding-Cat

Chumly

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 09:49 am
We've adopted a new cat, The last one was consumed by the coyotes. He's a very friendly guy but.......he's way-fat and won't stop shedding.

I taken away his food for 50% of each 24 hour period and that has not worked. I've been brushing him lots most days and the shedding has decreased, but not by much, so that hasn't worked.

He's a pure white friendly blob relegated to the balcony until the shedding stops. Truth is, I got him on the claim that he likes to go outside (so I figured he would be a good mouser). All he really wants to do is sleep, eat, purr, shed, and rub up on things.

I've named him Harry White, and he needs to get with the program around here pronto! How can I quickly turn him into a sleek, trim, non-shedding, mousing machine?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,014 • Replies: 18
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 10:18 am
@Chumly,
Maybe your cat is bored. Activate him.

http://pawlickers.com/products/toys/kitty-toys

http://cats.about.com/od/cattoys/tp/homealonecats.htm
Chumly

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 10:23 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
He won't play with stuff like most cats, and he has no interest in catnip. But he sure likes to eat, shed and purr! My wife says she saw him chase a moth once, so I guess there might be some promise under that fat & fur, but then again I didn't confirm this spark of activity, so perhaps it was a mirage.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 10:33 am
@Chumly,
The Furmanator is the best thing I've found to reduce shedding.

http://www.entirelypets.com/furminator.html?gclid=CK_QveHkm5sCFRFMagodKAokoA

BBB
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 11:30 am
@Chumly,
are you free feeding during the other half of the day?

(i give a set amount of food for a fat cat on a diet)

as to the mousing, do you have a tail you can affix the your backside? then all you have to do is lead by example, and he will surely pick up on it as you chase the mouse for him...

good luck chum.
Chumly

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 12:26 pm
@Rockhead,
I guess I am free feeding el fats, so I'll have to put out a daily portion Sad
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 01:54 pm
@Chumly,
Shedding is not just a seasonal thing. Cats can shed like crazy when they're nervous or scared. Maybe it will mostly go away.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 02:01 pm
when I first brought Big Puss home from th shelter he shed like nothng I've ever seen. After he got comfortable with his surroundings it stopped.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 10:42 pm
Hi Chumly,

Have you taken him to a vet? Does he shed all over or does he shed in spots? There are lots of resons this might be happening. One thing I have found out about cats is some things aren't that easily pinned down when it comes to strange or unwanted behaviors. The best thing to do is take him to the vet and see what the vet says. He might be stressed like Roger says. Cats can become stressed at the slightest thing and they can show that stress in many ways.

I guess you could always shave the cat an pass him off as a Sphynx? Just kidding!
Chumly

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 11:09 pm
@Arella Mae,
He's been recently vet checked by his previous owners and had a clean bill of health except that he's fat. Also being a pure white cat doesn't help the hair factor!

Harry White = Barry White

He's now on 1/2 cup of dry catfood per day.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 11:13 pm
@Chumly,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1Oza-UzG2s&feature=related
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 11:32 pm
@Chumly,
Might be best if you just invest in several sets of white clothing. I swear, if Spooky and Nermal ever go away, my next cat is going to be grey.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 12:06 pm
@Chumly,
I second the use of a furminator. It works great on my long haired kitty.

My big orange (round) tabby has problems keeping his rear clean because of all the fur, so about twice a year I get him trimmed into a lion cut. I don't normally believe in doing something like that, but it helps both of us tremendously because he is very sensitive (hides) and trying to wrangle a 20lb cat to clean his rear can be a bit of struggle. We both are much happier when he is trimmed.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 12:53 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly,

Did the vet say his weight was any kind of a problem? I'm glad you have him down to a decent sized meal because that is important to a cat's health. I am sure you have already tried brushing him daily or bathing him daily? I can imagine the white hair everywhere! I would still ask the vet about some kind of medication. I'm not sure if Prozac would be the right stuff but cats will shed when stressed or nervous. Of course, I am just guessing here Chumly. I can only tell you of experiences I have had with cats through the years. I do have to say kudos to you though for trying to figure the problem out instead of just dumping the cat because he's not perfect. Too many people do that kind of thing.
Chumly

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 02:16 pm
@Arella Mae,
Strangely the vet said the weight had not caused any health problems (yet). The people that owned that cat before me had to give it up because of allergies (that's what they told me any-who).

He's on 1/2 a cup per day of dry, so we'll get him in shape.
roger

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:44 pm
@Chumly,
1/2 cup sounds about right - for a large canary.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 04:01 pm
I'm still wondering how a cat can shed blimps.
Chumly

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 09:56 pm
@roger,
The bag puts the daily amount @ 1/2 to 2/3 cup for 10 to 15 pounds of puss. Harry White told me he's just big boned but I don't buy that.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 09:56 pm
@joefromchicago,
Shedding-blimp-cat?
0 Replies