Can someone translate this?

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 09:11 am
I'm looking for a Latin translation of this quote - "Warrior of God"...it's for one of my karate student's black belt......I did some digging earlier, and I came up with "Proeliator Deus"...but thats really only "warrior" and "God"...what can i use for "of"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,605 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 09:14 am
I tagged this thread for an English to Latin translation . . . George should be along, sooner or later, to help you out . . .
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 10:47 am
@jmcook1023,
Latin has declensions, so you're looking for the genitive (which includes the "of"), and that is "Dei".
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 11:23 am
@jmcook1023,
Bellator, I believe would be a better word than proeliator. Thus, Bellator Dei. (Unless George comes along and contradicts me. Smile)
High Seas

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 11:33 am
@Merry Andrew,
Unless George says otherwise, Andrew, I've a vague recollection of bellator, bellatrix used as adjectives, so I'd leave the original proeliator as JM Cook wrote it.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 11:38 am
@High Seas,
According to my dictionary (Pocket Oxford Latin Dictionary, second edition), bellator can be used as either an adjective or a noun.
High Seas

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 11:41 am
@Merry Andrew,
That was the point I was making, and that's why proeliator seems stylistically preferable to me in an epigram.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 01:29 pm

Don't have any tattoos. They're silly.

Once I had "Llandudno" tattooed you-know-where, but it only says "Ludo" now.
High Seas

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 02:28 pm
@Merry Andrew,
OK, I looked up the word in Tacitus, he seems to use it as an adjective. That doesn't prove much, of course:

Not sure if this link works, it's a search result and the Perseus server (at Tufts) is on the blink.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 02:38 pm
@McTag,
Your term is easier to research than the original query's - it's found in a book by Mrs Varina Davis, the wife of Jefferson Davis, of all people:

Quote:
Varina Davis, Jefferson Davis: Ex-President of the Confederate States of America, A Memoir by his Wife, Volume 2, Chapter 74: after release in 1867, to 1870. (search)
friends; but I had young children, and would not leave or impose them upon others who felt less interest in them; then again we represented no country, and general visiting might have brought about unpleasant contretemps. The Northern people were then, as now, the most numerous class of travellers; to them might be applied the commentary on the Scotch, Had Cain been a Scot, God had altered his doom, not forced him to wander but kept him at home. It was quiet we sought, and I found it at Llandudno, and Mr. Davis accepted an invitation from Lord Shrewsbury to visit him at Alton Towers, while with our dear friends the Norman Walkers and the Westfeldts, I remained in Wales. The quiet of my outing was broken by my little William being very ill with typhoid fever at Waterloo, where he and his brother were at school, and then I learned to love the English people and acquired a sense of home among them. Every kindness that good hearts and sound heads could devise was showered upon us

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/nebrowser.jsp?query=Perseus:text:2001.05.0038&id=tgn%2C7008540
High Seas

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 02:42 pm
@jmcook1023,
JM Cook - subject to the opinion of George, whenever he gets here, it occurs to me you could just go with "gladiator Dei", it's clear in Latin and the second word also exists in English.
McTag

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 02:43 pm
@High Seas,

Well I never. What roundabout routes we do take, our wonders to perform.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 02:54 pm
@High Seas,
I agree with that...

but so what? The only latin book I've saved is from year 4 (I think - it's in some box of 'don't throw away just yet books) - that was the year of Virgil, and the book had little by way of grammar explanation, while full of footnotes.

If I want to keep paying attention to these threads, I'm going to have to buy a nice used latin grammar book, and, I suppose, a dictionary. But I'm trying to get rid of books...

(I know, I could google, but not today.)
High Seas

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 02:54 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Well I never. What roundabout routes we do take, our wonders to perform.

So true! Mathematically this is an application of network theory with phase transition:
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/faculty/uzzi/ftp/media%20hits/Amaral%20-%20barabasi%20Perspective.pdf
Quote:
...the teams coalesce through a
phase transition such that all players become
part of a single cluster.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 03:10 pm
@ossobuco,
There's no need to buy new Latin books, lots of texts with search functions and dictionaries (including Greek to Latin to Old Norse, not just Latin to English) are on the Perseus site
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/search
and there are many other dictionaries online:
http://archives.nd.edu/latgramm.htm
ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 03:25 pm
@High Seas,
how about grammar?
I haven't seen Perseus yet (will check) but some sites, Babel Fish, for example, are a complete joke at translation, at least re another language I fractionally know, Italian, and another one I know even less, Spanish. I still have about twenty ital language books and thick notebooks of my own compilations of grammar/verb conjugations, which I did as a way to ram all that through my thick skull by incremental accrual. Living there would have been smarter, but impossible at the time, and I still would have been searching out grammar books.

That's one thing about a background with latin - it left me quite grammar oriented, even if that is not discernible in my online chat - but left me not very agile in learning to talk in another language.

Ah, I just saw your second link.. thanks.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 04:41 pm
Wow, I never expected to see a full-blown Latin discussion on A2K.
This is great!

Perseus really is a treasure-trove isn't it? It is optimized for translating Latin to
English. It works less well in the English-to-Latin direction because it searches
its definitions of Latin words and returns every Latin word that has your
English word anywhere in its definition.

Anyhow, usually I render "warrior" as "bellator" because it is rooted in
"bellum", the word for "war". "Proeliator" is rooted in "proelium", the word for
battle.

So I would say "Bellator Dei", but I wouldn't have a problem with "Proeliator
Dei".
ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 04:45 pm
@George,
Bravo, George. Uh, oh, Georgius - or...
jmcook1023

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 05:46 pm
wow...that was surprisingly intense for a simple translation! thanks everyone for all your help! if you guys get a chance, think anyone could translate "Fight the Good Fight, Finish the Race, Keep the Faith" for me? something ive been wanting to get as a tattoo for a while now...
ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 06:39 pm
@jmcook1023,
I'd start a new thread on that, jmcook, as George gets a lot of these questions and probably considers this one answered.
0 Replies