Sarah Palin thinks David Letterman is a meanie and a creep

panzade

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 11:05 am
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
Cyclotroll is the antithesis of anti-intellectualism.

very well put Water Dude
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 11:23 am
@Yankee,
Yankee wrote:

Well, then you are blind, I am sorry to say.

How can Nancy Pelosi refuse to meet with Republican leaders be viewed as anything but childish behavior?

Nancy Pelosi is in the House, not the Senate. But of course you knew that.

Quote:

Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.) says he has requested to meet privately with Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) this year, but has been repeatedly rebuffed.

And why not? The Republicans have shown intransigence on every possible issue and have fought the Dems tooth and nail. They are unwilling to compromise and truly don't seem to realize that they are the minority party.

Quote:
In an interview with The Hill, the minority whip said, “I have been told that Speaker Pelosi doesn’t like to meet with Republicans … I would say that is the case in my instance. I have put in requests to meet with her and have yet to be responded to.”

So what? This is not evidence of anything, other than an assertion made by Cantor - a man who is fond of making hyperbolic and foolish statements.

Quote:
Hours later, Cantor would be on the House floor, questioning whether the Speaker should continue to receive intelligence briefings.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/cantor-complains-pelosi-refuses-to-meet-with-him-2009-06-08.html

(I know Cantor is an ass....yadda, yadda, yadda)

None of what you wrote here disproves my above statement in any way. Clearly, the Republicans are having a difficult time these days. They seem to think that the best way to overcome their difficulties are further purity tests and a constant stream of negativity towards Obama. This does not seem to be working, however.

I submit that the Republicans are suffering from a real lack of leadership and focus at this time, and their behaviors should be viewed in that light. They don't know what to do to get back into power, b/c they don't understand how they got dumped out of power. So they flail about in a variety of amusing yet utterly pointless ways, as is evidenced by the quote above as well as several other recent Republican mis-steps.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 11:26 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:
I hope that you no longer think this is obvious. You would be assuming that everyone who is not a republican is a democrat. You would also be assuming that Palin has never been bashed by someone who considers themself a republican.

Yankee seems to think that everyone who is a Democrat thinks alike, and that everyone who is a Democrat thinks like David Letterman. He also apparently thinks that there is some valid logic in an inductive process which goes Letterman>Democrat>all Democrats.

I wonder why Yankee thinks that such a line of "reaonsing" deserves any respect, and why Yankee thinks that anyone who won't accept trip such as that has not provided a thoughtful response.
aidan

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 11:38 am
@Setanta,
I clicked on Setanta's post to reply because part of my reply was in response to what he said but first:
H20 man said:
Quote:
http://www.usmagazine.com/files/obama-girls-b.jpg Obama Birthday Party Video The little one can dance..

And then I said:
Those are two of the prettiest little girls I've seen in a long time - and talented too you say .... good for them.

Yankee - I voted for Obama and this is what I said:
Quote:
I've always liked David Letterman, but I don't think he was in the right here. A public personality might put their child on stage or in the spotlight, but that child might have no choice about being put there.

I'd say Sarah Palin or Obama or anyone on any part of the political spectrum might make themselves a target - so whatever goes goes, but the kids who have no say or choice in the matter-should be given an exemption from the cruelty.

What purpose does it serve? They're not running for anything. They're just along for the ride (and maybe- in fact at 14 most probably)- not even a very willing passenger.

So, although I do like David Letterman - I don't like what he said - about Sarah Palin's child (whichever one - the elder or younger daughter it makes absolutely no difference).
They're kids - and even if their parents make them into political tools - that's wrong because they're not- they're kids.
Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 11:47 am
I see nothing in that that remotely relates to anything i've posted. Kindly keep my name out of your random observations.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 11:49 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Yankee wrote:
Is that what I posted, Setanta?

Did I actually say Letterman represents ALL Democrats?

What made you come to that conclusion?

In your earlier post . . .

You wrote:
Seems to me that Democrats go out of their way to attack Gov Palin and her family continually and with much malice.

. . .

Yet, I wonder if Democrats have some sense of fear about her that causes them to attack her and her family in order to try to minimize whatever influence she may have within her party.

Given that you make no distinctions among Democrats, in a discussion of what Letterman said, the 0nly logical conclusion is that you are referring all the Democrats, and inferring that Letterman's stupidity is illustrative of their attitudes.

But let's take this down to the level of what words and punctuation remarks mean. I didn't state that this was what you said, i did not come to any conclusion. Rather, i applied logic to your post, and i asked you if that were so. After all, if you're going to attribute Letterman's lame humor to Democrats in general, and make no distinction among Democrats, but simply make stupid remarks about them, what kind of response do you expect you would get?

I got the same thing out of that.
0 Replies

Yankee

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 12:25 pm
@Setanta,
Based upon posts from you and others here, it seems to me that thoughtful conversation adn the exchange of ideas is outside of your ability.

Many of your positing as just juvenile.
Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 12:33 pm
@Yankee,
I'm sure that you don't recognize the ironic hilarity of insulting someone's intellectual ability, and then calling their posts juvenile.
Advocate

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 01:01 pm
It is interesting that Letterman, to his credit, heartily agrees that his jokes are tasteless. That is the nature of his business.

Considering Palin's really vicious, unfair, and untrue attacks on Obama and his people, she should not be the person to criticize a comedian who is an equal-opportunity basher.

Cantor is a true moron. After he voted against a bipartisan recovery bill, he and Boehner said they did so because Pelosi disrespected them. Thus, the poor little guy in essence said that the country must suffer because of his mistreatment by mean, old, Nancy. (This reminds me of when Gingrich closed the government because Clinton made him exit Air Force One from the rear door.)
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 01:04 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

Considering Palin's really vicious, unfair, and untrue attacks on Obama and his people...

Whoops! What are you talking about?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 01:09 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Quote:
Cyclotroll is the antithesis of anti-intellectualism.

very well put Water Dude

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MjdtULzbIHQ/STWj9VDNnYI/AAAAAAAABc0/6qJDKJyLdUg/s320/SUCKA+Drank+the+kool+aid+didnt+ya.jpg
0 Replies

Yankee

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 01:26 pm
@Setanta,
You can't recognize that, since you do act as a child sometimes.

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 01:56 pm
Pretty weak, Bubba . . . you're way out of your league . . .
Yankee

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 02:03 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta, you have no idea of what league I am in nor would you be able to comprehend. So I suggest you rest up this weekend, relax, and a cool beer and calm down a notch or 2.
Advocate

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 02:17 pm
@aidan,
Letterman's comments were about Bristol, who is 18 and a public figure. She has given press conferences and appeared on various shows talking about, e. g., sex education. Thus, she is fair game in the media.

There is no proof that Letterman was talking about the 14-year old.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 02:21 pm
@Advocate,

18 year old girls are fair game for rape?
Wow that is change you can believe in.
maporsche

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 02:21 pm
@Advocate,
He was talking about the daughter that accompanied Sarah Palin to NYC. That daughter was Willow, 14 years old.

The joke makes no sense unless he's talking about the daugher that was in NYC with Palin.

Now, it's possible that Letterman didn't know that it was Willow that was with Palin and not Bristol, in which case he should still apologize for at least not checking his facts.
maporsche

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 02:24 pm
@H2O MAN,
I don't think the rape charge applies to Bristol in this case. When Palin mentions that it's not funny to talk about raping her daughter, she's referring to statutory rape (having sex with a minor). Since Bristol is 18, if Letterman was joking about her, it would not be statutory rape, and the rape criticism would not apply.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 02:24 pm
@Advocate,
Yeah, I don't watch tv, and I live in England, but I do remember reading something about her doing some sort of publicity thing against abstinence programs- so I guess fair's fair - she may have opened herself up to that.
I just never saw Dave as the sort to take cheap shots at anyone really - that's why I always liked him, but to be honest I haven't watched him in years- at least five- I have no idea what he's like now.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 02:26 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
18 year old girls are fair game for rape?
Wow that is change you can believe in.

Why do you keep trying to tie Obama into this? He had nothing to do with it.