Sarah Palin thinks David Letterman is a meanie and a creep

Advocate

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 05:55 pm
The attack on Letterman is a cheap shot by that bitch Palin. She knows that Letterman thought that Bristol was at the game, not her younger sister.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 06:17 pm
@Advocate,

Laughing ... Put the crack pipe down and step away from the computer.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 06:33 pm
@dyslexia,
I have stayed out of this whole argument, mainly because its a stupid issue, and I wouldnt be at all surprised to see that Palin knew about the joke beforehand.

Having said that, I do wonder how you can say its not a double standard.
After all, Letterman has more viewers and more "power" then Imus did.
mysteryman

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 06:34 pm
@Advocate,
So that excuses it?
dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 06:44 pm
@Yankee,

No, in my opinion.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 06:59 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Yankee wrote:

Are children of public figures fair game?

If those public figures put their children on show, abso-dang-lutely.

Don't put your kids on the stage if you've got an issue with them getting public attention.

What has this to do with the poor goddam kids?

If they are really adults and choose to go on the stage, that may be one thing. And I don't count Bristol amongst those adults. I mean old enough to know the true **** that may land on them.

Normally, kids get trotted out by politicians in a sickening and saccharine display of how bright, shiny and wholesome they (the politician) are.

Why should attacking a kid be ok because either they get trotted out by a a parent, or because, they love their parental unit and wanna be there, without any informed understanding of how horrible the media can get?

Attack Palin for using her kids by all means...but leave the kids alone.

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 07:58 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Attack Palin for using her kids by all means...but leave the kids alone.

Yes.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:29 pm
All I can say is that if this ends up with Letterman fired, I will be getting a recording of the jokes and have them blasted through a megaphone at the edge of her property twenty-four hours a day until the end of time.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:32 pm
@kickycan,

Letterman should not be fired over this. No way!
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:15 pm
@mysteryman,
Yes! Bristol is an adult, a public figure, and fair game for a comedian.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 09:17 pm
@kickycan,
Quote:
All I can say is that if this ends up with Letterman fired ....

Fired!!!!

That's ridiculous! (...& obviously I haven't read the entire thread!)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 10:08 pm
@kickycan,
There's no serious talk of firing him, is there?

Rockhead

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 10:12 pm
@dlowan,
<snort>

no.

(they like all the ratings, however)
Debra Law

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 10:23 pm
Fire David Letterman Protest in New York on Tuesday, June 16

Quote:
While thousands in Iran are protesting to demand fair elections, some American politicians and activists are set to protest something that is slightly less important: firing David Letterman.

Protestors have started a "Fire David Letterman" website and are planning to protest the talk show host for jokes her made about Alaska governor Sarah Palin and her daughter Willow.

The protest is being organized by New York State Assemblyman Brian Kolb, attorney Gwendolyn Lindsay-Jackson, and radio talk show host John Ziegler. Earlier in the week, Ziegler was cut off during an interview with MSNBC about the Palin-Letterman controversy.

The Fire David Letterman rally will take place on Tuesday, June 16 at the Ed Sullivan Theater at 4:30pm, an hour before the taping of Letterman's show.

Of course, the odds of CBS actually firing Letterman are a longshot at best, especially since Dave recently started beating the NBC's Tonight Show in the ratings. This week Dave beat out The Tonight Show in household ratings for the first time since Conan O'Brien took over the long-running NBC late night show. Perhaps instead of hurting his career, all the Letterman protests are actually helping it.

Here's the link to the "FIRE DAVID LETTERMAN" website:

http://www.firedavidletterman.com/

Here's a picture from their nutty rally:

http://www.firedavidletterman.com/david-letterman-rally.jpg

msolga

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 10:25 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
no.

Oh thank heavens for that!
Ya never know, though! Sillier things have happened. Wink

0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 12:06 am
Imus was fired for his "nappy headed hos" comment. Letterman will not be fired but he will be much more careful in the future. His first apology was rather niggardly. He did, of course, de nigrate Palin's daughter.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 06:25 am
@genoves,

If Palin was black... Letterman would have been fired long ago.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 06:58 am
@mysteryman,
I don't defend what Letterman said, i also don't watch him, because i consider his "humor" to be based in nasty, invidious comments about individuals. I've felt that way for 20 years or more, so this episode doesn't surprise me at all.

With that caveat, i'd say that Letterman is not likely to be fired because there are so few people who are genuinely pissed off about this, and for whatever my taste in the matter may be, he gets high ratings. Imus made a racist remark, which offended far more people than Letterman's remark has, and one of the women referred to brought suit against him and against NBC. Imus may have enjoyed high ratings with his radio show, but nothing in comparison to what Letterman is worth to advertisers with his ratings. Imus also had a prior history.

In 1984, he referred to Howard Stern as a slut, and a Jew bastard who should be castrated. He referred to a black sports reported at the New York Times as a "quota hire." In 1993, he referred to a female reporter at the New York Times as a "cleaning lady." One columnist from the New York Times reported in 1998 that off camera in a "60 Minutes" interview, he referred to his radio sidekick as having been hired to tell "n*gger jokes." Robin Quivers has said that he called her "n*gger" to her face, and she and Howard Stern both claim that he screamed "n*gger, n*gger" at a black woman employed at WNBC. Imus has referred to Arabs as radheads too many times to count. His station had trouble employing female newsreaders because of his comments on their appearance and he referred to one newsreader as a "skank" on the air. In 1998 he had referred to a critic as a "little Jew boy" (with other grossly offensive descriptors) and in 2004 referred to the owners of the Simon and Schuster publishing house as "thieving Jews." In addition to using slighting terms and racist epithets for Jews, he has offered the same kinds of remarks about the Irish and the Italians.

There's just no comparison between Letterman and Imus, the latter of whom is a loose cannon with a big mouth which he has shot off offensively for years and years. Imus has been employed since the Rutgers flap, and has not learned to keep his mouth shut. He made a racist comment about Dallas Cowboys defensive back Adam Jones.

There is just no reasonable comparison to be made between these two. Once gain, i am not defending Letterman, whom i happen to despise as a comedian. But it is ridiculous to compare this incident with Imus' life long history of insulting and racist remarks.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:13 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Letterman is not likely to be fired because there are so few people who are genuinely pissed off about this

If roles were reversed and god forbid, the victim of the joke was a liberal, the networks would have lead with
the story and called for Letterman to be fired. The networks would have run the story 24/7 until everyone was
pissed off about the situation and the masses were demanding Letterman's big dumb head on a silver platter.
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:18 am
There are few more hilarious bullshit stories circulating among the conservative ditto-heads than that the media is a liberal tool. Thanks for the laughs.