Sarah Palin thinks David Letterman is a meanie and a creep

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 04:13 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Do you really think this a Palin publicity stunt?

I do.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 04:30 pm
We now have the employee of the Tennessee legislature who circulated a racist e-mail. It in essence pictures Obama as a spook. The question arises whether such a person, paid with taxpayer funds, should retain her job. Her superior punished her by putting a reprimand in her personnel file. This is a tough question; i. e., do you destroy someone's career for sending out such an e-mail.

There should be some strict laws against anyone who makes fun of or otherwise attacks the Presidency. I heard someone say-"I am not going to make a long speech. I will be niggardly. I cannot put up with someone who de nigrates the President of the USA."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:01 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

I don't for a moment believe that anything was concerted between Letterman and Palin, but i do think Palin's handlers are attempting to milk this for all it's worth. There is precious little they can do, otherwise, to keep her goofy mug before the public.
genoves

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:02 pm
We now have the employee of the Tennessee legislature who circulated a racist e-mail. It in essence pictures Obama as a spook. The question arises whether such a person, paid with taxpayer funds, should retain her job. Her superior punished her by putting a reprimand in her personnel file. This is a tough question; i. e., do you destroy someone's career for sending out such an e-mail.

There should be some strict laws against anyone who makes fun of or otherwise attacks the Presidency. I heard someone say-"I am not going to make a long speech. I will be niggardly. I cannot put up with someone who de nigrates the President of the USA."
Gargamel

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 06:44 pm
@genoves,
It was retarded enough the first time.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:09 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

dlowan wrote:

I don't for a moment believe that anything was concerted between Letterman and Palin, but i do think Palin's handlers are attempting to milk this for all it's worth. There is precious little they can do, otherwise, to keep her goofy mug before the public.

Oh, I'd not considered Letterman in on it. I'd more meant the milking as the stunt...though...to be fair...is Palin doing a lot of ther milking, beyond saying she disapproved (which she had every right to do, I think), and her lunatical fans are doing the rest?
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:41 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
s Palin doing a lot of ther milking . . . and her lunatical fans are doing the rest?

That's probably a realistic assessment, but i suspect that her handlers are whipping up the frenzy of a tempest in a teapot as much as they can.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:20 pm
best analysis yet on slate. it ends:
Quote:
I would be remiss if I didn't add that The Joke and Its Relation to the Unconscious teems with the kind of sexist humor that makes Letterman's foray into dirty jokes about sex with Alaskan teens seem tame by comparison. But the enduring point Freud would argue is that one guy's "just a joke" is a sucker punch to someone else's id. We can't ever resolve the question of when "just kidding" becomes bilious psychopathology, because jokes will never fit neatly into just one category or the other. Freud also has a lot to say about the differences between the intent of the jokester and the perception of the listener, something Letterman learned the hard way this week. But in the end, we may be forever doomed to read more into jokes than we do into other types of declarations precisely because jokes originate from"and are directed to"that part of us with no real sense of humor.

Were Freud alive today, he would also tell you that it's no accident the Letterman-Palin fracas ultimately bogged down in mutual self-righteous claims that jokes about sex with so-and-so are simply never funny. But, then, Freud would also be the first to insist that's why these are the funniest jokes of all

http://www.slate.com/id/2220710/pagenum/2
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:53 pm
Mr. Senility wrote:

That's probably a realistic assessment, but i suspect that her handlers are whipping up the frenzy of a tempest in a teapot as much as they can.

If we were talking about Obama, Setanta would say--I suspect that his STAFF is whipping up the frenzy--etc.

If we were talking about Schwartznegger, Setanta would say--I suspect that his cronies are whipping up a frenzy.

BUT, Setanta the senile, uses a pejorative when he talks about Palin--He said=
" I suspect that her HANDLERS are whipping up a frenzy"

Which Handlers? Does she have handlers? How do you know? Do you have proof?
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:54 pm

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:27 am
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/letterman-does-damage-control/article1309721/

Ms. Palin mighta been correct - just not in the way she thought
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 04:23 pm
Bristol Palin and Levi Johnson have split again. Apparently, he has impregnated another girl. It is time he had a vasectomy as his zipper seems to be permanently broken.

Has anyone noticed that he could be the grandson of Regis Philbin? They certainly resemble each other.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:13 am
Sarah Palin is a moron. When questioned she couldn't even name a newspaper. She was the governor of Alaska, a state enclosed by Canada, but when pressed did not know the name of the Canadian president. As for her children being fair game. Has she tried to protect their privacy, or has she turned them out at every photo -opportunity? Bristol Palin is certainly fair game she's as publicity hungry as her mother. Incidently why would anyone call their daughter a name that's rhyming slang for tits?
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:26 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
did not know the name of the Canadian president

Who in the hell would know the President of Canada and who would care other then someone in the basement of the Department of State.

Second off hand I would had assume that Canada would have a prime minster not a president and of course the Queen Governor General.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 10:45 am
@BillRM,
I would have assumed that the governor of Alaska would have known their name as they are encircled by Canada, and that all their contacts with the rest of the USA would have to go through Canada.

As for Canada having a president or prime minister, I did think about that when I was posting my original comment. I'm not 100% sure but I think that although Canada is still a member of the commonwealth they became a republic sometime during Thatcher's term in office. I can remember loads of Canadian tribal chiefs (Native Canadians?) coming over to lobby parliament against it, on the grounds that we had a slightly better track record in keeping treaties with indiginous Americans than you had.
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 11:16 am
@izzythepush,
First I am 99.999 sure Canada does not have a President and second Alaska in not surrounded by Canada even if it share a border with Canada and is cut off from the mainland by Canadian territory.

We have a large numbers of states who share a border with Canada and are likely to do far more trading with Canada because that is where the population centers of Canada happen to be then the state of Alaska.

Off hand I do not think that Canada is a very important factor in the economic wellbeing of Alaska as compare to such states as Michigan for example.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 12:07 pm
@BillRM,
Don't think that the governor of Alaska should at the very least know his name? I don't think that's asking too much of a public official.
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 02:17 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Don't think that the governor of Alaska should at the very least know his name? I don't think that's asking too much of a public official.

I am not sure how many of the governors of the other states who share happen to share borders with Canada would know either.

Frankly I hear far more about the internal politics of your country or Germany for that matter then I do concerning Canada.

Except when we can not get a parking place at a wholesale club on the weekend because of all the cars with Canadian license plates we do not even think about our neighbors from the North normally.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 02:59 pm
@BillRM,
Fair enough, but you're not the Governor of Alaska. If you want to live a provincial life that fine. If, however, you're running for the office of vice president of the most powerful country in the world you should know a bit about the rest of the world.

Before going on television to be interviewed about the crisis in Korea it would be a good idea to find out that America's allies were the South Koreans not the North Koreans. This isn't abstract, America fought a war against the North Koreans in the 1950's. Politics aside, Sarah Palin is stupid. There is no other democracy, (I was going to say country, but look at North Korea) on Earth where Sarah Palin wouldn't be treated as a joke. Sorry is treated as a joke, today here and now.

We've got a really annoying woman over here as well. She's called Katie Price, she's in all the celebrity magazines and reality television shows, just as publicity hungry as Palin. And she inspires the same feelings of devotion and loathing over here that Palin does over there. The main difference is, she's not running for public office, because no-one would vote for her, like Palin she just too stupid.

It's not just politics, I know American politics are quite to the right of our politics. Your Democrats are the same as our Conservatives. So your brand of Republicanism is too right wing for us. Similarly our Labour party is too left wing for you, so there's a really different way of looking at things anyway. I loathe Margaret Thatcher, I don't think she did our country any favours at all, but I still don't think she was stupid.

If you've got to have a candidate with wacky right wing theories why not go for Glen Beck? I find his politics just as loathsome as Palin's, but he's not stupid. It would be truely frightening were he to become president though. In a tight fix he may panic and launch the bomb at North Korea, but not at South Korea. Even he's not dumb enough to start a nuclear war by bombing his allies. You can't say that about Sarah Palin. She should stick at being a celebrity and leave politics to people who can not only name a newspaper, but hopefully have read one or two as well. How can you look at Sarah Palin and say she's not stupid?

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 10:00 pm
That's okay. David Letterman thinks palin is a non entity.
0 Replies