California contemplates ultimate reform - no welfare

Yankee

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 06:22 am
Could California become the first state in the nation to do away with welfare?

That doomsday scenario is on the table as lawmakers wrestle with a staggering $24.3 billion budget deficit.

County welfare directors are "in shock" at the very idea of getting rid of CalWORKs, which has been widely viewed as one of the most successful social programs in the state's history, said Bruce Wagstaff, director of the Department of Human Assistance in Sacramento.

"It's difficult to come up with the right adjective to react to this," Wagstaff said. "It would be devastating to the people we serve."

H.D. Palmer, a spokesman for the state Department of Finance, said California is in an unprecedented fiscal situation that has made all programs, from education to human services, vulnerable to deep and painful reductions.

"I don't wish for a moment to minimize the profound impact" that eliminating CalWORKs would have, Palmer said. "But the easy decisions are way past being in the rearview mirror for us. We face the specter of California not having cash on hand to pay its bills in July."

Wagstaff and other administrators are betting that the state will rescue the "welfare to work" program. But they are bracing for cuts that would slash benefits to the lowest levels since the late 1990s, when CalWORKs began as part of the federal government's bold reform of the welfare system.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/nation/story/69467.html

California? Is Conservatism coming to this once great State?

McGentrix

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 06:39 am
This is what happens when allow the voters to decide to pay themselves and control taxation. California is heading for bankruptcy if they do not turn the budget around.
rabel22

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 08:16 am
@McGentrix,
I guess we could tell the voters that they cant vote unless they have at least a million dollars in the bank.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 08:18 am
@rabel22,
rabel22 wrote:

I guess we could tell the voters that they cant vote unless they have at least a million dollars in the bank.

Why would we want to tell them that?

Instead, why don't we allow them to vote for the people to hold office and then allow the office holders to run the government. You know, like most of the other states that aren't facing bankruptcy.
rabel22

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 10:06 am
@McGentrix,
I dont mean to burst your bubble but that is just how we elect people in Illinois and it dosent make any differance. Dem, rep, it makes no differance they are all politicians, just one step below lawyers.
engineer

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 10:36 am
@rabel22,
I'm with McG. California is an extremely wealthy state by any measure. Lots of industry, tourism, resources, etc. The people have completely hamstrung the government's ability to tax them, but they still expect services. The government there has already made some hard decisions and went to the voters with a tax increase package (another hard decision). I don't think you can blame what happens from here on politicians.
0 Replies