Blessed Are The Strapped, Praise Jesus!

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 10:39 am
i grew up only a few miles from where this church is. i shouldn't be surprised, but it being 2009 and all....

Quote:
Gun-loving pastor to his flock: Piece be with you
Jun 4, 9:52 PM (ET)

By DYLAN T. LOVAN

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - A Kentucky pastor is inviting his flock to bring guns to church to celebrate the Fourth of July and the Second Amendment.
New Bethel Church is welcoming "responsible handgun owners" to wear their firearms inside the church June 27, a Saturday. An ad says there will be a handgun raffle, patriotic music and information on gun safety.

"We're just going to celebrate the upcoming theme of the birth of our nation," said pastor Ken Pagano. "And we're not ashamed to say that there was a strong belief in God and firearms - without that this country wouldn't be here."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090605/D98K7KL80.html

read the whole article, it only gets more bizarre...

Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 11:06 am
@DontTreadOnMe,
praise the lord, and pass the ammunition...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 11:32 am
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 11:36 am
almost 30 years ago there was a meeting of baptist ministers from across the US in Detroit

a fair number of firearms were confiscated (and returned on leaving the country) by canadian customs officers, who were amazed in equal parts by the fact that none of the ministers had thought to inquire about Canada's gun laws, and the number of baptist ministers who carried guns
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 11:41 am
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/pics/75aguns1.jpg

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/pics/75aguns2.jpg
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 12:04 pm
i don't think i've ever heard or read anything about jesus being strapped with a sword while delivering the sermon on the mount.

Brand WTF

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 12:08 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
I'd say he prolly went commando.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 12:55 pm
@Brand WTF,
or figured the idea was to learn to not kill each other. at least not all of the time...
Brand WTF

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 01:00 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Actually(supposedly) he set the tone....you're either with us or against us...and if against us you're going to hell.

Not very peaceful if you ask me.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 01:07 pm
@Brand WTF,
Brand WTF wrote:

Actually(supposedly) he set the tone....you're either with us or against us...and if against us you're going to hell.

Not very peaceful if you ask me.

right. i agree. however, if the guy is saying, "love one another as you love me", as he is alleged to have said; you'd think that those who are supposed to be firm followers would want to distance themselves from doing violence.

you could make the argument that a rifle's primary purpose is for getting food, but a handgun is only good for blowing someone away.

either way, it's pretty weird to me that a preacher would tell the faithful, "hey y'all, why don'tja bring yer guns to church next week?"
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 01:10 pm

Hand guns only or are long guns allowed?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 01:18 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Hand guns only or are long guns allowed?

didn't even read read the post or the article did ya? too busy tagging the thread with your clever "tiny liberal penis" tag again? hmm?

Quote:
New Bethel Church is welcoming "responsible handgun owners" to wear their firearms inside the church June 27, a Saturday. An ad says there will be a handgun raffle, patriotic music and information on gun safety.

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 01:23 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,

I read read the post and it said said nothing about responsible long gun owners... that's why I asked.

Does your tiny liberal penis offend others?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 02:33 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

I read read the post and it said said nothing about responsible long gun owners... that's why I asked.

Does your tiny liberal penis offend others?

it said nothing about rifles because it is about handguns. wha? are you going to protest discrimination against rifles by the church?

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 02:51 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,

Are you going to protest discrimination against your tiny liberal penis by the church?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 03:00 pm
I love it . . . at the bottom of the page for this thread there is an ad for "Manna-4-U-dot-com," a Christian discussion board . . . you should go sign up, DTOM, and post your thread there . . .
Foofie

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 08:00 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I love it . . . at the bottom of the page for this thread there is an ad for "Manna-4-U-dot-com," a Christian discussion board . . . you should go sign up, DTOM, and post your thread there . . .

This might show that diversity in the U.S. is greater than different nationalities; diversity perhaps should be redefined as different nationalities and different mindsets.

0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 08:27 pm
well, the original and intended definition is simply to denote "variety". it most often gets lumped into the lexicon of political correctness, it seems.

there are different mindsets. i'm cool with that. however if something seems odd to me, i have the right to say so. just like i have had people comment on my mindset, and those who share it, for most of my life. to me, just glossing over some weird stuff just because it's religious people or a church (etc.) doing it is just another kind of political correctness.

for instance, i see absolutely no difference between bombing a women's clinic and sending a kid into a restaurant loaded up with tnt.

no difference between murdering Dr. Tiller and beheading Daniel Pearl.

so, are those incidents examples of diversity of mindsets, or are they simple demonstrations of insanity? remarkably, they have being fueled by religious zealotry in common.

so if it strikes me as a little troubling when a pastor urges his flock to carry sidearms into the house of god; and to register for a handgun raffle, it's not without good reason.
Foofie

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 08:39 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

so if it strikes me as a little troubling when a pastor urges his flock to carry sidearms into the house of god; and to register for a handgun raffle, it's not without good reason.

I believe in states rights, and if the pastor is not disobeying any local/state laws, it is his right, and any non-local dissenters are just perhaps somewhat alienated from their local cultural ways. Why should I think my cosmopolitan, eastern mindset should be practiced in the entire country? It might be a little presumptuous of me, if not downright high falutin'.
msolga

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 09:13 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
A pastor was shot while leading a church service? Shocked

... And why on earth would anyone require a gun while attending a church service? Confused

Quote:
...John Phillips, an Arkansas pastor who was shot twice while leading a service at his former church in 1986, said a house of worship is no place for firearms.

"A church is designated as a safe haven, it's a place of worship," said Phillips, who was shot by a church member's relative for an unknown reason and still has a bullet lodged in his spine. "It is unconscionable to me to think that a church would be a place that you would even want to bring a weapon."

Phillips spoke out against a bill before the Arkansas General Assembly that would have permitted the carrying of guns in that state's churches. The bill failed in February. .....

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090605/D98K7KL80.html
0 Replies