Australian scientists test male contraceptive injection.

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 04:36 am
From the Australian Broadcasting Corporation: http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s960055.htm

"Aussie researchers claim success in male contraceptive trial

Australian researchers say a male hormonal contraceptive has been successfully trialled, with no pregnancies reported.

The 12-month trial involved 55 couples.

The man in each couple was given testosterone by way of a hormonal implant every four months, as well as a progestin injection every three months.

Scientists at the Anzac Research Institute in Sydney and Prince Henry's Institute in Melbourne hope the trial will lead to a final product of a single injection that could be given every three to four months."

I wonder what effects this might have socially if it is judged safe for release?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 782 • Replies: 2
No top replies

cheat

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 06:29 am
A similar thing was done in the US years ago, by way of testosterone injections. The men reported an increase in muscle mass, and acne. Their wives gave them the injections. Wonder if they enjoyed that?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 06:46 am
Welcome, Cheat!

Hmm - I would have thought increased testosterone would be associated with increased chance of circulatory problems - like heart attacks and strokes - the increased incidence of which, in men compared with women, seems to be related to testosterone, rather than being, as was thought before, protected against by oestrogen.

I wonder if the progestin modifies this?

I certainly wouldn't enjoy injections!
0 Replies