Reporters Trapped by a Promise not to reveal sources

dyslexia

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:49 am
at this point i am not actually sure Mr Novak exists.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 12:00 pm
What a tangled web we weave

When first we practice to deceive!
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 02:49 pm
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 02:17 am
One of the problems on these posts, Perception is that you can't really tell whether people like Frank A Pisa and Joe from Chicago can't read or don't read.

You have put up a great column by Blankley. They are either afraid to comment on it or haven't read it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 06:14 am
Italgato wrote:
One of the problems on these posts, Perception is that you can't really tell whether people like Frank A Pisa and Joe from Chicago can't read or don't read.

You have put up a great column by Blankley. They are either afraid to comment on it or haven't read it.

Well aside from the fact that the columnist is the editorial page editor of a media rag -- a paper whose editorial positions I seldom take seriously, just what kind of reaction were you expecting, Gato?

And why, since you seem to read so much into the fact that neither Joe nor I reacted to the article quickly enough for your tastes, are you not accusing yourself of being unable to read -- since you didn't offer comments on the article yourself? (Unless you consider "You have put up a great column by Blankley" to be an especially erudite commentary on the piece!)

But don't get me wrong, Gato.

I love having people like you around.

Nothing helps strengthen a position like having a ham-fisted, impulsive ideologue arguing the other side.

I love ya, Gato, whether you are a man or a woman.

Keep up the good work.

Oh, about the article. Blankley is right. Whoever leaked ought to out him/her self.

MY GUESS: Falling on swords is going to become the national sport in Washington during the next two years.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 07:22 pm
Why doesn't Ashcroft use the Patriot Act to find the leak?

Quote:
How to find such a person? It turns out, the administration may have an ally in its hunt. The Patriot Act, the anti-terrorism law this administration has fought for and defended, could be used. Viet Dinh, a former assistant attorney general and one of the act's architects, says, "The normal investigative tools contained in Title II of the act may well apply to a leak investigation, such as the voice mail subpoena authority or perhaps the electronic trap and trace authority." The question, he says, is whether the facts of the case will prompt its use.

Of course, the law has already been used in several cases that have nothing to do with terrorism - from white-collar crime to blackmail. All of which suggests that even if you don't like the Patriot Act (and many on the right and the left don't) it's hard to argue against its being used here.

This is a test for the Justice Department and this administration as a whole. Over the past decade, as the Clinton scandals swirled in this town, there has been one consistent theme: Denials aren't enough. Accusations demand investigation. If that was true in the case of an Arkansas land deal gone bad, it is doubly true here, where the stakes are higher - the CIA officer is home, but the network of contacts she established is potentially compromised.

Christian Science Monitor
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 09:33 pm
I believe the leaker is in the CIA or the State Dept and I believe the pres is serious about finding him/her. I would expect the use of every tool provided by the Patriot Act.
0 Replies

fishness

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 08:47 am
I've just initiated myself to the world of 'able2know' and have just caught this thread - so if no-one catched this, then that's understandable as it is about 6mths old - but nevertheless, I'll throw in my opinion.

I'm a student journalist in the UK and I have to say that if it was me, there is no way that I would divulge my source, no matter what the consequences. It's something that's been instilled in me since day one - and I'm even reconsidering my career choice (but that's not the point). Freedom of the press is integral to our news - be it local, national or global, and we HAVE to believe that some journos have a conscience, I know I do.

Nuff sed
0 Replies