Reporters Trapped by a Promise not to reveal sources

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 12:10 am
Reporters Trapped by a Promise
Unnamed Sources At Issue in CIA Leak
By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, October 5, 2003; Page A01

There are at least six people in Washington who know the answer to the city's most politically charged mystery in years. And they're not talking.

That's because they're journalists.

Whether they should maintain their silence -- and whether they might be legally compelled to break it -- lies at the heart of a burgeoning debate about media ethics and the whispered transactions with government officials that shape the daily flow of news and opinion.

Columnist Robert Novak, who sparked a criminal investigation into which "two senior administration officials" told him that the wife of an outspoken White House critic was a CIA operative, isn't the only person who knows the identity of the leakers. Reporters for NBC, Time and Newsday, among others, had similar conversations with administration officials.

Among the questions swirling around the controversy is whether Justice Department investigators might seek to subpoena the journalists after former diplomat Joseph Wilson, who is outraged about the outing of his wife, provides their names, as he has promised to do.

"Our policy has always been to protect our sources," said Newsday Editor Howard Schneider. "People are not going to talk to us if we don't do that. The greater good here is to make sure that confidential sources who have important information can come to us and be protected."

NBC's Andrea Mitchell, who reported after the Novak column was published in July that the administration was trying to intimidate Wilson, said she could not reveal the officials she spoke with because such agreements are "fundamental to what we do as journalists." She said news organizations would have to evaluate the situation on a case-by-case basis "if someone's life was in danger, or a military operation was involved, or evidence of a crime was needed."

Novak said last week that if he revealed his sources, "I would leave journalism."

But not every source is a Deep Throat, the shadowy figure during the Nixon administration who passed Watergate secrets to The Washington Post's Bob Woodward in a parking garage -- and whose identity is still the subject of a capital guessing game.

Nicholas Lemann, dean of Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism, said he has never betrayed a source and that it is a question of "personal honor" for journalists. But he said the "underbelly of leaking" is not pretty.

"Ninety-five percent of the time, people are basically dropping a dime on other people, dissing other people, leaking from base motives," Lemann said. "Let's not pretend all leaks consist of genuine whistle-blowers. Usually it's Campaign A telling you something sleazy about Campaign B that their candidate is afraid to say in public. But you have to honor the principle for the sake of the minority of cases that are really in the public interest."

Some members of the public, if a torrent of e-mails is any indication, suggest Novak and the other journalists have a duty to come forward. If it is a federal crime for officials to intentionally make public the name of a covert operative, these critics ask, why do reporters who serve as a conduit for such information get a pass?

As journalists see it, they have protected status because they are the public's watchdogs, with special freedoms enshrined under the First Amendment. Reporters also say they could not dig out vital information about government and business if sources who might lose their jobs, or face political retribution, had to be quoted by name.

But critics say journalists sometimes abuse their power by allowing prosecutors -- such as Kenneth Starr during the Clinton impeachment, or authorities in the sexual assault case against Kobe Bryant -- to leak damaging details without having to go on the record.

Inevitably, the special status of journalists clashes with other legal rights during an investigation, such as a defendant's right to a fair trial or to have his grand jury proceedings remain secret.

Victoria Toensing, who as an aide to the late senator Barry Goldwater helped write the 1982 law banning the disclosure of covert operatives' names, said journalists were exempted because they, unlike federal officials, don't have clearances for classified information. The only exception is if a journalist engages in a "pattern" of naming operatives, inspired in part by CIA agent-turned-author Philip Agee, who repeatedly tried to expose agency personnel around the world.

Asked about the possibility of subpoenaing journalists in this case, Toensing, a former federal prosecutor, said: "I don't think it's ever a good idea. You're just going to make a hero out of the reporters, who can raise their book prices. It's like calling a lawyer to talk about attorney-client privileged information. You're not going to get it."

Lucy Dalglish, executive director of the Reporters' Committee for Freedom of the Press, said journalists -- like doctors, lawyers, therapists and the clergy -- deserve to be shielded from having to testify. But if Novak were dragged into court, she said, "you think he wouldn't gladly face contempt? This is the kind of thing that young journalists dream of. They love to go to jail."

Actually, it may not be as much fun as outsiders believe. Timothy Phelps, one of two Newsday reporters cited last week in a White House counsel's order not to destroy documents or phone records in the Wilson case, went through such an ordeal in 1991. When he and National Public Radio's Nina Totenberg broke the story of Anita Hill's sexual harassment allegations against Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas, the reporters became the subject of a Senate leak investigation.

Phelps was hit with a subpoena for his home and office phone records, which was blocked when a Senate committee refused to enforce it. And his government sources came under investigative scrutiny.

"It was very difficult to get any reporting done when they're under this kind of order to produce any records relating to any contact with me," Phelps said. "And that is also the case today. I'm not getting my phone calls returned."

Attorney General John Ashcroft must approve any subpoena of a journalist under his department's restrictive guidelines, which is why it happens so rarely.

"The essential guiding principle is that subpoenaing a journalist should be the last resort," said Justice Department spokesman Mark Corallo. "We should do everything we can to avoid the chilling effect on the press."

The guidelines say: "All reasonable attempts should be made to obtain information from alternative sources before considering issuing a subpoena to a member of the news media. . . . In criminal cases, there should be reasonable grounds to believe, based on information obtained from non-media sources, that a crime has occurred, and that the information sought is essential to a successful investigation."

Law enforcement sources familiar with the CIA case say subpoenas have basically been ruled out but reporters may be asked to submit to voluntary interviews. "It would be improper for the FBI not to call and say, 'Are you willing to sit down for an interview?' " said one official who asked not to be identified because of the case's sensitivity. "When the reporter says no, that would probably be the end of it."

Some of the Justice Department's leak investigations, such as a probe of a classified intelligence briefing for Congress that leaked out after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, are continuing but have not produced any charges.

Ashcroft did not block a subpoena in 2001 for freelancer Vanessa Leggett, a Texas writer who spent 168 days in jail for refusing to reveal the sources she interviewed in the murder of a Houston socialite. Justice officials did not consider Leggett, who was writing a book about the case, a legitimate journalist. She was freed when the grand jury disbanded.

Also in 2001, the Justice Department approved a subpoena for the home phone records of Associated Press reporter John Solomon, who was digging into an investigation of then-Sen. Robert Torricelli. Last year the FBI seized a package that another AP reporter in the Philippines had mailed to Solomon. The FBI has launched an internal inquiry into whether the interception was proper.

The issue keeps popping up in court. On Tuesday, a U.S. district judge in Washington ruled that a reporter for the military's Stars and Stripes newspaper did not have to disclose the government sources who leaked her information about a Pentagon job application by Linda Tripp, who became famous after taping her conversations with Monica Lewinsky.

In one high-profile case, a reporter fired by the Cincinnati Enquirer did divulge his source for stories about Chiquita Brands that led to a retraction and a $14 million settlement. The reporter, Michael Gallagher, cooperated with prosecutors and named former Chiquita lawyer George Ventura as his informant. A federal judge this year threw out a Ventura lawsuit charging that the paper had broken its promise not to identify him.

Protecting sources is important, said Joe Conason, a columnist for Salon.com, but sometimes "you reach a breaking point with it."

"The knee-jerk reaction -- 'Oh no, these are sources and we can't talk about it' -- is a little too easy," Conason said. He said most of the journalists who received the CIA information "had this prod from the White House to go after Joe Wilson, and they didn't report that the White House was out to get a critic. Whenever Bill Clinton was seen to be doing something like that, it was always big news."

NBC's Mitchell believes no-name journalism has gotten out of hand. "Anonymity is conferred much too frequently in Washington," she said. "We really should strive to name sources much more often," or to offer details that would "give readers and viewers as much information as possible about what their bias could be or what ax they could be grinding."

The murkiness of the subject emerged at a White House briefing last week. Reporters wanted to know whether administration officials had not only leaked the identity of Wilson's wife but also called attention to Novak's July 14 column in subsequent conversations with reporters. Press secretary Scott McClellan accused them of "moving the goal posts," saying: "The subject of this investigation is whether someone leaked classified information."

All this puts journalists in the uncomfortable position of peppering administration officials with questions some of their colleagues, now in the media spotlight, could answer.

"It's a tough question for journalists," said Columbia's Lemann. "I see why not revealing a source is very powerfully in your personal professional interest. But why is it also in the public interest?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,628 • Replies: 27
No top replies

perception

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 10:48 am
Seems to me that journalism, as in all professions, has it's sleazy element i.e., those who are too quick to capitalize on the head line grabbing quality of a story. If I read all this correctly, the media will be the big loser in this controversy. Since it is not in the best interest of the Justice dept to compel journalists to divulge their sources, but it is in the best public interest to know the facts of a manipulative leak, then it rests with the journalistic profession to police itself. The question then becomes----is the journalism profession capable of this self policing? Has the medical profession ever been capable of exposing incompetent doctors? Journalists must protect their sources otherwise how would whistle blowers ever be protected? Journalists must then become judge and jury about the intent of the source----it is a heavy burden----I would not relish being placed in that position. They just like doctors would be forced to play "God" in the final judgement. How many journalists would you trust with that kind of power?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 10:52 am
Perception
Perception, excellent analysis of the dilemma.

What would you do in the instant case?

BumbleBeeboogie
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 10:54 am
Tim Russert posed the question to Robert Novak, "
Would you go to prison rather than reveal sources." Novak didn't rule out the possibility of being prosecuted but maintained again that he would leave journalism rather than reveal his sources. This has always been a case of journalists finding themselves between a rock and a hard place -- they are not well protected as far as being prosecuted or held in contempt of court if they refuse to divulge sources in front of a judge. It's too soon to really see how this is going to play out and it's not going to go away.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 11:06 am
Perception is quite right. Reporters's sources must be protected or we will no longer have a free press in our country.

There is a famous case called McIntyre Vs. Ohio Elections Commission in which the USSC ruled that the Ohio Law prohibiting distribution of anonymous campaign literature violated the First Amendment's freedom of speech. There are many, of course, who, profess to the ideal but who would wish to gag people who do express thier opinions.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 11:11 am
Italgato
Italgato, an important Supreme Court Decision:

http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/93-986.ZO.html

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 11:25 am
BumbleBeeBoogie- Thank you for your link but I hope that you noticed that I referenced that case already in my post- Namely McIntyre vs. Ohio.

I am quite familiar with the case and need not read the entire case again.

I do hope that you read my post indicating that Perception was quite correct.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 11:53 am
BBB

Please clarify your question---"What would I do in the instant case"?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 12:00 pm
LW wrote:

"Novak didn't rule out the possibility of being prosecuted but maintained again that he would leave journalism rather than reveal his sources".

What a cowardly SOB Novak is-----I take that to mean that he would supposedly leave journalism rather than go to jail-----I have always been suspicious of Novak---now I know why. He is the type of sleaze bag we do not need in journalism.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 01:42 pm
I'm sorry that I put most journalists in the same zoo as politicians and they can often end up in the same cage.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 02:52 pm
Perception
Perception, what would you do, as a reporter, in the case of the CIA leak case?

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 05:41 pm
Re: Perception
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Perception, what would you do, as a reporter, in the case of the CIA leak case?

BumbleBeeBoogie

If the source was a "high" level official of any administration I would immediately suspect I was being manipulated and politely tell the source to find another sucker. The mere fact that the source selected me puts me in a very bad situation-----if I go to the justice dept with the illegal information I will be identified as someone who cannot be trusted by an informant and it will probably put a severe constraint on my future. I'm actually in a no-win situation but if I tell the source no thanks I can rationalize myself into thinking I still have integrity. If a reporter is much beyond the first day on the job he has already compromised his integrity.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 05:45 pm
Italgato wrote:
Perception is quite right. Reporters's sources must be protected or we will no longer have a free press in our country.

We agree Shocked

perception wrote:
What a cowardly SOB Novak is-----I take that to mean that he would supposedly leave journalism rather than go to jail-----I have always been suspicious of Novak---now I know why. He is the type of sleaze bag we do not need in journalism.

We agree Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 07:30 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Italgato wrote:

We agree Shocked

perception wrote:

We agree Shocked Shocked

Isn't it a bit presumptuous of you to use "we"?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 07:35 pm
a very solid case of incompetence can be made against Mr Novak on the basis of his use of the word "operative" in his statement and then defend himself with the excuse that he often uses the word without specifically meaning "CIA Operative"
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 08:04 pm
perception wrote:
Isn't it a bit presumptuous of you to use "we"?

Presumptuous is my first name :wink:
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:00 am
0 Replies

perception

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:19 am
Saphire really cleared that up Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:28 am
He sure did, Perception. The problem is that many will not read that wonderful column which refers to the "leaked upon six."
0 Replies

perception

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:44 am
Hi Gato

I would love to see the "leaked upon six" strike back at the counterleaker :wink: but how do we know at this point if the "leakedupon six" really exist? Laughing
0 Replies