What are some ideas to change what my surprise was for him?

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 07:02 am
Ok let me make this short.....Me and my bf are celebrating our 6 month monthsary Smile but he's so freakin picky and his mom has already warned me about him being so picky. It took me 3 weeks to think of just getting him a G1 phone! Were gonna go to the aquarium friday night and get a nice room afterwards. So my plan was to go to the room when i got off of work and have the phone gift wrapped and have it on the bed or some place so that when we came back to the room he would find it.

Well anyways my boyfriend ended up guessing what i bought him by saying "Baby did u buy me the phone bc if so its gonna get messed up at where i work and i dont want u to be mad." So i admitted i bought him the phone and im glad i did bc i whatever i get him i want him to be really happy with it. He said i could buy him shoes or a screen 4 his car or something but i wanted to do a lot better than shoes. Should my feelings be hurt bc i put so much thought into what to get him? Well friday is right around the corner...any ideas on how i can surprise him without him guessing? Also i feel like he should just take what he gets bc he's not getting me anything (so he says) bc he's buying a second car this weekend. Im not really upset bc he's done soooooooo much 4 me like when i was unemployed but yea. Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 833 • Replies: 8
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 08:40 am
@dominicana101,
This is not an idea, but an observation. He wants you to spend less. You shouldn't let your feelings be hurt and you shouldn't overanalyze it, you should just take the hint. See what you can do for $50.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 09:08 am
Yeah, so you can save enough money to buy him a rolex for your 12 months
anniversary.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 10:06 am
@dominicana101,
Ok, so it's a 6 month bf and he is buying a second car instead of getting you an anniversary gift. You have already given him a phone for the anniversary but because you gave it to him early, you are going to get him another gift? *shudders*

You do not have to get him anything more. Even if he has a done a lot for you while you were unemployed, what you appear to be doing is overkill. Just my opinion.
mm25075

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 10:10 am
@mm25075,
Oh and let me add one more food for thought....

A first year wedding anniversary gift is traditionally PAPER.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 10:31 am
@dominicana101,
Does anyone find this odd? You buy a 6 month anniversary gift for a boyfriend? I've never done that. We didn't even celebrate or buy gifts for our 6 month anniversary when we got married.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 10:38 am
American Latino Hispanic celebrations and gift giving customs have slight cultural variations, perhaps we're not attuned.
In fact, I think a lot of the things dominicana is dealing with in her threads are hard for gringos to comprehend
0 Replies

dominicana101

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:01 pm
@mm25075,
i havent gave him the gift yet....that was supposed to be the gift...i took the phone back already
mm25075

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 03:25 pm
@dominicana101,
Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification.

I have given a gift at a six month anniversary at times, but have gone with things which are really not very monetary in nature. Such as spending time together on a 'surprise' picnic lunch during my BF's lunch hour. Or wrote him an endearing letter, something which is more sentimental in nature, rather than a 'practical' purchased gift.
0 Replies