Y DOES CONAN WANNA DRIVE IN CIRCLES in a PARKING LOT?

Sglass

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 02:57 pm
Conan is not too scruffy considering he graduated from Harvard University magna cum laude and was president of the Harvard Lampoon.

Just clean, Irish Catholic humor.

Come to think of it Leno and O'brian are both from Massachusetts.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 05:51 pm
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:
Quote:
Conan is not too scruffy considering he graduated from Harvard University magna cum laude
and was president of the Harvard Lampoon.

Just clean, Irish Catholic humor.

He might be a non-scruffy Irish Catholic, but there 's not much humor.
By my observation of him, it appears that his major guiding principle
is to imply and invite scorn for his paucity of humor.
In other words, to imply:
" its very laffable how completely I fail. "
This is comparable to taking a pratfall.
I don 't mean to be unkind in saying this -- just observational.

Johnny Carson did that too.

I wonder whether this analogy is justified or not:
I have read that some rock music (maybe from the 1970s onward)
used devices called "fuzz boxes" INTENTIONALLY to subvert
the clarity of a song 's lyrics so that it was more difficult or impossible
for the audience to hear and understand what was being said,
altho it was plain that SOME words were being projected out.

Is this concept reflected in hiring comedy writers who are not too funny?
I do not know for a fact that thay have rejected from employment
any writers who 've been deemed to suffer from the malady of being excessively humorous.

I 'm just wondering whether thay do that,
in the same spirit of promoting frustration as applying "fuzz boxes."

WHATAYATHINK ?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 05:54 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

" its very laffable how completely I fail. "

You are 100% right; that is exactly why he is funny.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 08:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Fuzz box....hmm, your mention of it peaks my interest, I don't know that I've ever heard such an anology about fuzz boxes being used to subvert lyrics.

I've always been big on the fuzz box sound....but I'm not sure if you mean an actual fuzz box or a vox box {talk box}....the vox, which is generally used in conjunction with a guitar, has a very unique sound....you can hear it clearly in songs such as "Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith, "Rocky Mountain Way" by Joe Walsh....I'd say the most famous might be from Peter Framptons solo in "Feel Like I do"...since for a very long time that was a very popular album, and still is an 70's rock staple song.

There is another device called the vocoder, which is what gives ELO it's "sound", Jeff Lynn has a neat voice, but it ain't that neat....Cher used it a few years ago in "Believe" {in life after love}....Bow wow wow yippi yo yippi yay...from Atomic Dog, is pretty well known...and then of course there is Roger Troutman, who used the device in nearly every song he recorded alone or with Zapp....may he rest in peace....bow your head Dave, trust me he was a great musician.

Even George Strait used it a few years ago in his "Stars on the Water", which is pure C&W.

A proper fuzz box though....is just a basic guitar pedal...a loose distortion...."Spirit In The Sky" sound...but I've read where that was just a busted speaker...but that is exactly what the fuzz box duplicates. Two films pop into mind, the soundtracks anyway...one is Something About Mary...a little known guy does several filler songs during the movie....you can actually see him and his drummer in the scenes....Jonathan Richman is his name...but near the end of the movie he plays a song called "Let Her Go" that is pure fuzz box at the end of the song....and the other movie is "From Dusk Til Dawn"....the scene where Selma dances on the table....my speakers are not working worth a crap right now...but, in that song I'm pretty sure he is using a bit of fuzz, wah wah, and a lot of reverb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayACsykYOQ0

I have a better version of the video, don't know where I got it from though...and then there is also "Walking on the Sun" by Smash Mouth which is heavy laden with the fuzz box.

0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 08:37 am
Last night's show was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. And I'm relieved. Vintage Conan, particularly the Twitter bit. That's the kind of stuff you can expect to see over the laung haul. On the old show the remote bits where he's goofing off in public were done only every now and then. A few of those became "greatest hits," so I think he feels compelled to do a bunch of them this week.

I thought it was hilarious, which means David most likely hated it. And that's how it should be.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 10:35 am
@Sglass,
Quote:
. . . Irish Catholic humor.

Bridey, an old, old woman, living in the Cove of Cork, benefits from a small inheritance which includes a newly farrowed boar. The neighbors come by and notice that she is preparing some litter and a water bowl for the young boar.

"But Bridey, old thing, whatever will you do about the smell?"

"Ochone, Biddy . . . the creature, he'll just have to get used to it."
Sglass

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 12:38 pm
@Setanta,
cute!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 12:58 pm
well, looky there, wouldja. There are more odd numbered days in a year than even, so McG is offering Cyc more than half--and we thought there was no such thing as a compassionate conservative.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 01:08 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

well, looky there, wouldja. There are more odd numbered days in a year than even, so McG is offering Cyc more than half--and we thought there was no such thing as a compassionate conservative.

I'm not sure that works out, if you do the math on the number of weekdays.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 03:22 pm
@Rockhead,
conan was the only late night talks how that was funny..

letterman garbage the big chin guy also garbage.

ahh the old days

*an airplane flies over when conan is doing a show on those people who wear black and dont use electronics*

"WHAT DEMONRY IS THIS?!?!?!??!!?!??!"
0 Replies