Plan invites all Americans to debate foreign policy

PDiddie

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 03:53 pm
This is a tremendous idea and a huge project, and I thought that all of us opinionated types here in A2K would like to know about it (quote's from my local newspaper, moving on AP):

Quote:
In Massachusetts, high school students will square off against senior citizens. In Denver, ex-U.S. senators will exchange verbal jabs. All over the country, people are sharpening their rhetorical skills as they prepare to join in an ambitious plan to get Americans talking about the nation's role in the world.

An unlikely collection of liberal and conservative groups are working together on "The People Speak" -- which is aiming to spur a nationwide, town-by-town debate on foreign policy and the United Nations. The groups have helped organize more than 1,000 debates in 49 states starting Monday and playing out over the next several weeks.

The world is changing rapidly, organizers say, and people need to talk without sound bites or slogans.

"We've got everyone from the right wing to the left wing. Everyone is agreeing it's time to discuss and debate these issues," said Tim Averill, a Massachusetts high school teacher. "One thing that's clear, as I was telling my class this morning, is that America has embarked on a significant shift in its foreign policy."

Elsewhere, there will be noon debates in downtown Des Moines, Iowa, on Oct. 30; ex-governors and an arms control analyst arguing in New Mexico on Oct. 6; and a living room showdown in San Juan Capistrano, Calif., by month's end.

The biggest gatherings will bring top think-tank theorists, former ambassadors, politicians and activists to 14 larger cities.

"This is the kind of debate that's really long overdue," said Tom Donnelly, a scholar at the conservative American Enterprise Institute. "Having a debate amongst Americans about what kind of world we want to make is really quite timely."

The past two years have brought sweeping developments: the Sept. 11 attacks and the war on terrorism; the Bush administration's announcement that pre-emptive attacks may be necessary; the arguments at the United Nations over Iraq; nuclear worries in Iran and North Korea.

Participants come from across the political spectrum, from neo-conservatives like Donnelly, whose support for aggressively pursuing American goals and democratic ideals overseas has been heard in the Bush administration, to liberals like the Open Society Institute to good-government types like the League of Women Voters.

"People are starving for this kind of thing," said Kay Maxwell, the league's president. "What's been missing is dialogue. ... We tune into the cable news shows where everyone is shouting at everyone else. No one does much listening anymore."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 644 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 03:55 pm
Organizers of "The People Speak" are encouraging participants to debate the following statements:

Pre-emptive use of force

· Resolved, that the United States should use military force pre-emptively to meet the threats posed by hostile nations and groups seeking to acquire nuclear, biological or chemical weapons.

Military intervention

· Resolved, that the United States should participate in military operations overseas only where vital U.S. interests are at stake, not for democracy promotion or primarily humanitarian causes.

Nonmilitary issues

· Resolved, that the United States should devote more resources to confront such nonmilitary problems as poverty and illiteracy, the spread of infectious disease and environmental degradation.

International law and institutions

· Resolved, that the United States should show a stronger commitment to international institutions and international law.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 04:01 pm
Cool! Thanks for the link/ info.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 06:23 pm
Sounds like a great idea to me! I assume the aim is to educate as well as to spur debate?
0 Replies