What would you do?

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 11:06 am
My best friend who is over 40 years old, recently got her drivers license. She is a first time driver who has been driving for approx. 2 months now. My question is...do I let my 5 year old go on a road trip with her?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,758 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 11:36 am
She's also been a passenger for 40 yrs. So, I'm going to assume, she's pretty aware of the rules of the road. She's not a teenager trying to impress her friends, so she's probably not a speed demon.
Women over 40 are statistically very good drivers, fewer accidents etc than most of the other drivers on the road.
But the true litmus test is whether you've driven with her or not.
That should give you a good idea as to whether or not she's trustworthy.

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 11:45 am
@SandraDee,
By road trip, do you mean overnight? In other words, how far is she going, and where will she be driving? Will she be driving on interstates along the east coast Washington to NYC corridor (or anyplace comparable, for example)? If so, I'd have to say no.
I've been driving for thirty years and the last time I drove on 95 through Washington, I almost got run into a concrete abutment by a truck driver who refused to let me merge.
On the other hand, if you guys live out in west Texas and the roads are straight and uncrowded, that'd be different.

Maybe you could go with her and share driving duties.
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 12:55 pm
@aidan,
Also, is she driving alone - in the sense - is there any other adult drivers going to be with her? Do you trust her in general? Is she responsible? Do you trust her with your child besides lack of driving experience?

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 05:34 pm
@SandraDee,
Let's approach the question this way. How would you respond to this question as written?

Quote:
My friend's friend who is over 40 years old, recently got her drivers license. She is a first time driver who has been driving for approx. 2 months now. My friend has asked me if I think she should let her 5 year old go on a road trip with the woman. If you were her friend, what would you advise her to do?
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 05:41 am
Who else is going on this trip? A carload of 5 year olds with a new driver? Nahh.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 06:14 am
@SandraDee,
Regardless of gender or age, two months is not a lot of driving experience and children in the car add a lot to the level of distraction. I'd pass if I were you based on what you've told us so far.
0 Replies