What is the point of Philosophy?

JLNobody

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 11:32 am
truth
Fresco, excellent insights.
Frank, I think you've found another deserving victim. Have at him...but gently if possible.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 09:22 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Singh

The charade is wearing thin.

Figure out the spelling and phrasing conventions you are going to use while playing this little game -- and stick with them. This back and forth between reasonable English and the erzatz written accent nonsense is about as much fun to deal with as one of those phony French accents one encounters on the radio from time to time.

Use the "s" to pluralize words -- not the "z." Nobody with any brains is buying it anyway -- so consistency is probably your best shot.

Yez Zir !! Laughing Thanx for the advize !!
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 09:23 pm
IDEAL Singh wrote:
Letty wrote:
All right, singh. Discuss this:

(more of a paraphrase) You have to have life to love life and you must love life to have life. That is a quote within a quote taken from Wilder's OUR TOWN who was quoting, (I think) Edgar Lee Master's SPOON RIVER ANTHOLOGY.

Ok... Rolling Eyes Well What I gather from this paraphrase is: There is not spelling mistakez in your writingz... Laughing Laughing

Ok now I am cerious....

It sayz LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL !!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 07:38 am
singh, read "The Bridge of San Luis Rey" sometimes. Thornton Wilder's philosophy is pretty well encompassed in that book. Your succinct reply about Master's quote is simplistic; have to give you that. Smile
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 09:12 am
Another in my series of STUPID questionz...

Dont you think by reading someone's philosophy we restrict our imagination to his philosophy only...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 09:15 am
IDEAL Singh wrote:

Dont you think by reading someone's philosophy we restrict our imagination to his philosophy only...

Shouldn't that be "hiz philosophy only?"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 09:28 am
singh, Nope! As a matter of fact, I was stunned to realize that Wilder's philosophy concerning God was just the opposite of what I had earlier believed it to be through the eyes of the cast in OUR TOWN.

This link might help:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1565112210/ref=pm_dp_ln_b_6/102-1381870-5460132?v=glance&s=books&vi=reviews

Frank, you would appreciate Wilder's book as well.
0 Replies

Garath

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 04:45 pm
Simon Blackburn's "Think" is very good for explaining reasons that philosophy is good, helpful or fulfilling.. im not going to try and quote him as i can't do the book justice. It's very good for anyone interested in philosphy but with no background of it
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 05:30 pm
Philosophy is only one part of the total picture. We also need to understand psychology, physiology, cultures, physics, chemistry, and a whole slew of other stuff.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 08:56 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
IDEAL Singh wrote:

Rather it should be... "Hiz PhiloZophy only?" Laughing but as they say to err is human... Smile
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 08:59 pm
Letty wrote:
singh, read "The Bridge of San Luis Rey" sometimes. Thornton Wilder's philosophy is pretty well encompassed in that book. Your succinct reply about Master's quote is simplistic; have to give you that. Smile

Then, What is the point of philosophy? Dont you think that the main reasoning in favour for philosophy is to simplify the things?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 09:32 pm
One thing is simplicity, another thing is simplism.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 03:29 am
InfraBlue wrote:
One thing is simplicity, another thing is simplism.

Rolling Eyes Can you explain the paradox of Simplism ? Embarrassed
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 04:09 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
IDEAL Singh wrote:

Ok Sir... Now I would behave like a normal person. Sorry again for all stupidities... Crying or Very sad

Reagrds
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 02:55 pm
Simplism is the tendency to oversimplify an issue or a problem by ignoring complexities or complications.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 10:47 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
Simplism is the tendency to oversimplify an issue or a problem by ignoring complexities or complications.

Isnt this the point of philosophy? Kindly discuss the complication in above saying.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 12:36 am
To All

Here's a distinct possibility.

"Ideal Singh" is in fact one of those computer dialogue programs which keeps thowing back elements of the last interaction without adding anything new!

On this assumption, the program is perhaps not the best example of its kind. :wink:
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 07:39 am
fresco wrote:
To All

Here's a distinct possibility.

"Ideal Singh" is in fact one of those computer dialogue programs which keeps thowing back elements of the last interaction without adding anything new!

On this assumption, the program is perhaps not the best example of its kind. :wink:

You assume too much !! But your assumption is IDIOMATIC? What have YOU added new to the discussion rather than manupalting your good english communication skills... Rolling Eyes ... Also explain to this forum ? Confused
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 08:30 am
Yes it looks like I was correct! The "program" has challenged me by throwing the words "new" and "assume" back at me rather than displaying any original ideas.

I think the programmer should have wired in some controversial "points to Philosophy" rather than the simple negative "it has no point". For example, it might have been fun debating "philosophy is mental recreation for intellectuals" or "philosophy is the Devil leading us to doubt real Truth".

Oh well, we can all live in hope I suppose.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 08:38 am
IDEAL Singh wrote:
What have YOU added new to the discussion rather than manupalting your good english communication skills:?

Dont try to avoid questions? Afraid of replying Question

I stick to my above question. Plz reply.
0 Replies