What is the point of Philosophy?

IDEAL Singh

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 08:59 am
BoGoWo wrote:
the simplest answer is, i think singh, 'it's what we do, and we really can't help ourselves.

If you don't think, you don't exist.

Lemme repeat the question again:

What is the ends to it all? What if someone finally figures it all out - then what happens...
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 09:14 am
then we no longer will have any reason to exist, and will probably cease to do so (if we don't succumb to our violent natures first);
but i wouldn't worry about that happening ever, since much of the evidential information needed to figure out even the simplest of questions will elude us probably for ever, and consensus is so far down the tunnel, as to be invisible.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 12:00 pm
Given the hypothesis of someone finally figuring it all out, what happens then would depend on what it is that was figured out, I would think. So, I don't know. It hasn't been figured out yet.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 12:08 pm
We gotta first figure out what needs to be figured out. Wink
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 12:13 pm
What is the point of philosophy?

This is my simplistic answer----philosophers ask the questions for others to answer, such as scientists. I have always been a bit frustrated that philosophy always answers a question with what turns out to be a series of other questions.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 12:38 pm
We haven't arrived at the end all answer.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 02:13 pm
It's easy to philosiphise when your stomach is full.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 08:23 pm
Ok My next question is :

Why we tend to be judgemental on otherz... like we say... You do like this... You do like that... see What you have done...

Why are we Judgemental on Otherz...????
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 08:31 pm
Show me a human being who is not judgmental of otherz and I will show you a "Saint" or a "Saint in Training" :wink:
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 08:40 pm
But Saintz are people who even more indulge in changing the mentality of ordinary people... Do this to attain God... Dont this... So even Saintz are big Judgemental on otherz... I think even the God is a big judgemental on otherz... coz he does not accept us the way we are... rather he acceptz only those who are in his way...
0 Replies

perception

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:31 am
To further indulge in your rather sillly desire to speculate on what Saints and God participate in-----I emphatically disagree-----Saints and God supposedly accept everyone as they are------until judgement day Twisted Evil
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 02:58 pm
"Only shallow people don't judge".

Oscar Wilde
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 04:44 pm
I've been judging people all my life, and I know for sure I'm wrong 99 percent of the time. c.i.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 08:43 pm
perception wrote:
To further indulge in your rather sillly desire to speculate on what Saints and God participate in-----I emphatically disagree-----Saints and God supposedly accept everyone as they are------until judgement day Twisted Evil

Any new Idea or Thinking out of the ordinary alwayz seemz to be silly at first sight... Coz we ain't got any concrete replies to these questionz... So there nothing really to booast off at your judgement... Surprised
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:22 pm
Ideal Singh

Silly speculation is far different than brainstorming or attempting to think "outside the box"both of which I heartily encourage.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 04:48 pm
IDEAL Singh

The point of philosophy is to explore the nature of thought including the "seeking of answers". So having "a point" is itself a fundamental philosophical issue. The exploration of this in turn throws light on the other "big questions" such as "why are we here ?" etc...that is we are seeking a higher vantage point in order to better understand the field of play...and there may be no limit to the height we can achieve.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:31 pm
perception wrote:
Ideal Singh

Silly speculation is far different than brainstorming or attempting to think "outside the box"both of which I heartily encourage.

I still stick my earlier Post Smile
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:37 pm
fresco wrote:
IDEAL Singh

The point of philosophy is to explore the nature of thought including the "seeking of answers". So having "a point" is itself a fundamental philosophical issue. The exploration of this in turn throws light on the other "big questions" such as "why are we here ?" etc...that is we are seeking a higher vantage point in order to better understand the field of play...and there may be no limit to the height we can achieve.

"Why are we here ?"

What if you finally get the answer ? What special you are gonna do or what you have already tried to find the answer? Let me repeat the question again What would happen if we finally get answerz to all these "Big Questionz" ? Can we do anything out of the ordinary if we finally get the answerz.?
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:46 pm
For the ignorant can talk of others ignorance, identify the ignorance, and yet not relate it to their own.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:55 pm
NNY wrote:
For the ignorant can talk of others ignorance, identify the ignorance, and yet not relate it to their own.

Please Enlighten me of my Ignorance ?
0 Replies