What is the point of Philosophy?

fresco

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:56 pm
IDEAL Singh

There are usually NO answers in the traditional sense of informing choices between actions...but the path taken towards these issues modifies our approach to almost everything else, including what we mean by "ordinary".

I realise that your rejoinder could be merely rhetorical, but if not, your slogan about "KNOWLEDGE etc" must also be a mystery to you.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:57 pm
Do you somehow think you are without ignorance now?
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 12:04 am
fresco wrote:
IDEAL Singh

There are usually NO answers in the traditional sense of informing choices between actions...but the path taken towards these issues modifies our approach to almost everything else, including what we mean by "ordinary".

I realise that your rejoinder could be merely rhetorical, but if not, your slogan about "KNOWLEDGE etc" must also be a mystery to you.

usually NO Answers... So, then How do you consider them to be Big Questionz... just because we have no answers...

What knowledge you are talking about... Did I even boost my little knowledge... I here to broaden my perspective... Moreover why you all taking it personally...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 12:12 am
No.

You appear to be here only to ask questions...not to listen to answers. Try an alternative forum such as "Abuzz" for kindred spirits.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 06:06 am
fresco wrote:
No.

You appear to be here only to ask questions...not to listen to answers. Try an alternative forum such as "Abuzz" for kindred spirits.

I am not a Preacher or any Priest...

And cant I ask questionz... Is there any harm in seeking answers to questionz... ? And If the answerz do not strike me then Should I not ask further questionz... huh ? I think you do want me to think out of BOX...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 07:48 am
Singh, Why not share some of what you believe. Your questions have no definitive answers. I have always gotten a kick out of cracker barrel philosophy. One of my favorites is "It takes one to know one". Now when you think about it, that's an interesting observation. Smile Translated, it could perhaps be: It is difficult for us to recognize faults in others that we don't already possess ourselves.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 09:26 am
Letty,

Your reconciliation attempts are to be commended.

The problem here is that Singh, a newcomer, has has asked about half a dozen questions in less than a week but does not seem to know how to handle the replies. Most of us test the water first by responding the threads of others and "getting the level". Singh is either unable or unwilling to do this, and it remains to be seen if he is prepared to take advice in this matter. It is possible of course that his quwerky linguistic style is used to coverup that he is not a native speaker of English. If so, this this would explain quite a lot.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 09:33 am
I understand what you're saying, Fresco. I once told my students to never be timid about asking questions. I learned to regret part of that unqualified announcement, because I begin to get questions with no answers, which, of course, was the goal of the brat brigade. Smile
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 10:47 am
fresco wrote:
"getting the level"

Embarrassed Yeah !! I am getting familiar to the level of mentality of some of memberz and their attitude... If you read one of threadz... http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13215&highlight=
, You would realise the "level" & Attitude...

So, You want me to ask questionz that you are familiar with and can easily provide the answerz and be happy ? Then What is the point of philosophy ? Very Happy Actually this thread is devoted to the questionz which have actually no definitve answerz... So Whatz the problem in that... ?Kindly feel free to put questionz which have no definitive answerz... And then when we find the answerz we can share with each other Very Happy ...

Yep ! my English writing skill is pretty much limited... but getting better everytime I am here on this Forum Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 11:19 am
All right, singh. Discuss this:

(more of a paraphrase) You have to have life to love life and you must love life to have life. That is a quote within a quote taken from Wilder's OUR TOWN who was quoting, (I think) Edgar Lee Master's SPOON RIVER ANTHOLOGY.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 11:20 am
Ideal Singh.

The issue is not one of "writing" but of comprehension. For example in an earlier post I did not say "there are no answers"... I said "there may be no answers in the traditional sense of informing a choice between action". You have ignored the essence of my reply either because of "perceptual set"(you don't want to hear my answer) or because of level of language skills (you don't understand my answer but think you do).
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 08:22 pm
fresco wrote:
"there may be no answers in the traditional sense of informing a choice between action"

How is this different from simple English comprehenstion if you we simply say "There are no Answers"?

Are there any answers in a non-conventional sense ? Please share them...
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 10:25 pm
Thinking out of the BOX is in the box, try thinking out of the stove or small yard appliance.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 11:11 pm
Singh

Go back to your original question "what is the point of philosophy". The key word is "point". You assume that this means that all activities are performed for a "specified goal" but they are not.
Take "artistic activities" or "recreational activities" or even "religious activities". Much of this is an "exploration" of the self in relationship to the world, but philosophy goes even further... it attempts to analyse the very concepts of "self" and "world" and comes up with some interesting possibilities such as "they are two sides of the same coin". This interpretation can then suggest a review of the words "fact" and "knowledge" which turn out to be very different from common usage...and so on.

So one answer to your question is that philosophy "alters the nature of the observer" and in common language then we could say the "point" is "to progress"...nether of these imply "action" in the sense of a traditional answer.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 11:19 pm
NNY wrote:
Thinking out of the BOX is in the box, try thinking out of the stove or small yard appliance.

Can you do anything better than manipulating English comprehension ?
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 11:33 pm
Letty wrote:
You have to have life to love life and you must love life to have life.

Rolling Eyes

What I get from this paraphrose is that there is not spelling mistakez in your writing... Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 11:46 pm
fresco wrote:
So one answer to your question is that philosophy "alters the nature of the observer" and in common language then we could say the "point" is "to progress"...nether of these imply "action" in the sense of a traditional answer.

I am getting your observation...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 06:13 am
You first, singh. Smile

Fresco, I done expended all my energy. Razz
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 07:01 am
Letty wrote:
All right, singh. Discuss this:

(more of a paraphrase) You have to have life to love life and you must love life to have life. That is a quote within a quote taken from Wilder's OUR TOWN who was quoting, (I think) Edgar Lee Master's SPOON RIVER ANTHOLOGY.

Ok... Rolling Eyes Well What I gather from this paraphrase is: There is not spelling mistakez in your writingz... Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 07:31 am
Singh

The charade is wearing thin.

Figure out the spelling and phrasing conventions you are going to use while playing this little game -- and stick with them. This back and forth between reasonable English and the erzatz written accent nonsense is about as much fun to deal with as one of those phony French accents one encounters on the radio from time to time.

Use the "s" to pluralize words -- not the "z." Nobody with any brains is buying it anyway -- so consistency is probably your best shot.
0 Replies