11 yr old shephard cross, stopped eating and tongue turning purple

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 01:37 pm
Our dog Kiya is very ill. She is a food motivated animal who now has been existing on the tiniest bites of food for the last 10 days. She is still drinking some water daily. We took her to the vet May 11 as she was listless, had a kind of cough and was panting rapidly. He said her heart and temperature were fine and that she had an upper respiratory infection. He prescribed Clavaseptium and Torbutrol to be administered twice daily for 7 days. This prescription is almost finished, she is not responding well and her tongue is turning purple. She always looks eagerly forward to a daily walk through the woods but now has no desire and is losing weight rapidly. The only unusual happenstance was about three days before she became ill she caught a sparrow on her walk and gulped it down. She is a wonderful intelligent dog and a beloved pet to our children. We would be most grateful for any help at this moment. Thankyou.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 4,251 • Replies: 7
No top replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 02:30 pm
@randolph,
Randolph - take the poor animal to the nearest animal hospital, if your vet's office isn't open now. I hope you read this while there's still some time, the symptoms sound very serious! Godspeed.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 02:51 pm
@randolph,
take her in as soon as you can.

farmerman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 04:50 pm
@Rockhead,
OUr old golden had a purple tongue and bluish gums. She wasnt getting enough oxygen and (It turned out, she was in severe heart failure. We treated her for several months and she let us know when she wanted to end it .

A sign of the heart failure is some edema , panting, listlessness, and inability to do any running or walking for any distance.
We used some diahretics that the Vet precribed and it worked for a while. We increased her appetite by using a vitamin B mix and this helped for a while.

Doesnt sound good. Im kinda amazed that your vet hasnt been able to help this far. YOU NEED A BETTER VET,do you have any vet cardiac centers nearby ?
farmerman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 04:58 pm
@farmerman,
One other thing the vet gave us was Theophylline. However , the side effects of this drug seemed to me to be similar to the dog eating chocolate or coffee. It worked in its dose , but the dog was going downhill fast.
0 Replies

BarbieQPickle

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 04:59 pm
Please please please have the vet check for a blood clot in her lungs! As soon as possible!! Coughing, wheezing, purple tongue all signs of this.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 11:38 am
@High Seas,
Does anybody know if eating that bird might have affected the dog? In NY some years ago we had some madman who was spreading poisoned bread on the sidewalks - pigeons and other birds suddenly started falling off the sky.

The poison was only available at medical laboratories, but even though that narrowed it down somewhat the poisoner was never caught. I'm wondering if the sparrow might have eaten rat poison or something similar left out in fields or in a park. Hope Randolph took the dog to the vet...
sozobe

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 02:11 pm
@High Seas,
I wonder if maybe poison per se wasn't needed but that maybe feathers or something were inhaled and caused the lung infection -- and are still there?

Pure speculation, seems clear she needs to be seen by a vet. Good luck.
0 Replies