The new Pelosi firestorm

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 03:59 pm
The republicans/conservatives are telling everybody that Pelosi has lied about hearing about torture. That's almost laughable if it wasn't for the fact that a) the republicans are the ones who authorized torture, and b) the Attorney General and the administration's legal advisors said it wasn't illegal, and c) the Bush administration and the CIA lied to congress about Iraq's WMDs at about the same time.

Congress should investigate all of these issues.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 5,911 • Replies: 74
No top replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 04:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The republicans/conservatives are telling everybody that Pelosi has lied about hearing about torture. That's almost laughable if it wasn't for the fact that a) the republicans are the ones who authorized torture, and b) the Attorney General and the administration's legal advisors said it wasn't illegal, and c) the Bush administration and the CIA lied to congress about Iraq's WMDs at about the same time.

Congress should investigate all of these issues.

Absolutely. Pelosi is the one who is demanding an investigation. Pelosi is the one who is demanding the release of CIA records of the "briefing" to prove that the CIA misled Congress. The CIA's "leaked" memo about what the CIA allegedly told Congress has been discredited. Bob Graham's meticulous spiral notebooks corroborate Pelosi's statements and demonstrate that the CIA is engaged in a "rewriting history" cover-up. The fact remains that those who are responsible for violating the law cannot justify their actions nor secure a "get out of jail free" card simply because they allege that Pelosi knew about their unlawful conduct. Even if Pelosi knew that the CIA was engaged in unlawful torture, she was prohibited by law from disclosing any information she acquired during a briefing that was classified as top secret.

The GOP argument: We broke the law, we told her we broke the law, the law prevented her from telling you we broke the law, so it's Pelosi's fault we broke the law, neener, neener, neener! The GOP spin machine keeps spinning the ridiculous.
gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 05:03 pm
I'm not sure if I would equate the GOP with the CIA necessarily, but it does make for some interesting reading.
engineer

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 05:42 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
I also think that Pelosi was informed in general terms about what went on and now is claiming complete ignorance instead of saying "I was told, I objected and I was in the minority and prevented by national security rules from saying anything."
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 05:48 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
I also think that Pelosi was informed in general terms about what went on and now is claiming complete ignorance instead of saying "I was told, I objected and I was in the minority and prevented by national security rules from saying anything."

she can't say that, because she did not object and others at the meeting will say publicly that she did not object. The problem that Dems have is that they were at the scene of the crime and did nothing to stop it. They can investigate now all they want, they will still hang with the GOP.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 05:51 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I'm not sure if I would equate the GOP with the CIA necessarily, but it does make for some interesting reading.

Hi Gus:

The Republican administration was in control of the CIA at the time the unlawful torture took place. The Republican administration (Cheney and Bush) ordered the CIA to torture detainees--not to obtain ticking time bomb intelligence, but to obtain false statements linking Iraq to al Qaida in order to POLITICALLY justify a military invasion of Iraq. Cheney is no longer in office, but he is still a member of the GOP. Under those circumstances, I believe it is fair to equate the GOP crime bosses (and their GOP defenders) to their CIA henchmen. Members of the GOP (e.g., Cheney et. al) are currently excusing the illegal actions of the CIA agents who were ordered by Bush and Cheney to torture by claiming a Democrat (Pelosi) knew about the illegal torture. Even if the allegation is true, it doesn't justify torture. One must also wonder what power, if any, that Pelosi had to disclose information classified as top secret without risking arrest for treason.

Would you agree or disagree that murdering victims of torture to prevent them from testifying as to the extent and nature of their torture is wrong? Would you agree or disagree that it is suspicious when victims of torture who are in the custody of the torturing lawbreakers suddenly turn up dead and the lawbreakers claim the torture victim committed suicide? Don't you think an investigation should be conducted into the sudden and convenient-for-Cheney death of a torture victim?
dlowan

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 06:03 pm
@Debra Law,
Quote:
The GOP argument: We broke the law, we told her we broke the law, the law prevented her from telling you we broke the law, so it's Pelosi's fault we broke the law, neener, neener, neener!

Thank heavens someone said that.

If Pelosi knew, she is hypocritical...that is quite separate and does not detract from the issue of what was done under Bush and how to make it clear and known, and how to address it....if the US has the will to do so, which I doubt. (Not that I consider that the US is the only country lacking the will to address such serious wrongdoing by those in power.)

It's a great Repub tactic, though, of course...if you're dumb.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 06:25 pm
@dlowan,
This government leaks information front right and center, if Pelosi wanted to do something she had options. She reminds me a lot of Hillary, this rationalizing why she failed to step up to the plate when duty and honor required it as the Bush evildoers were taking a hatchet to the Constitution and the rule of law.
dlowan

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 06:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yes...but do you have anything to say on the actual issue?

That is, the torture?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 06:41 pm
@dlowan,
My wife is a U.S Army soldier, you're damn right I do.....We have put all soldiers into harms way by practicing torture. ANNNND, my wife is a human intelligence collector, as in a professional interrogator, and she says that torture does not work. That is good enough for me. She has one of the best "break rates" around, she knows what works and what does not.
dlowan

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 06:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well, well! You have surprised me.

This is hard to say.....but I agree with you!

Wink

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 10:32 pm
@dlowan,
Conservatives still can't figure out that what Bush, Cheney, et al, who authorized torture are the criminals. Anyone sitting in a CIA top secret intelligence committee conference in 2002 (you remember that date, don't you?) being told don't spill any info because what they are doing is not illegal according to Bush's legal team and the Attorney General, then gets "all" the blame for keeping quiet about those meetings.

What's wrong with this picture?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 12:18 am
@Debra Law,
Debra, (and hello to you as well) I was simply saying that there are some good people in the CIA who became victims of circumstances and even though they did no wrong, and probably felt terrible about the things happening around them, were unjustly blamed for the events.

I agree with you that torture is despicable and brings anyone practicing it down to the level of the Republican.

And I also agree with your desire to see an investigation take place. I agree emphatically.

Free for coffee?
Debra Law

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 01:58 am
@gustavratzenhofer,
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Free for coffee?

Free for coffee? My goodness. That's shorthand for "do you want to fall in love and get married someday?"
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 02:05 am
@Debra Law,
I find myself asking just why congress needed to be briefed. If it doesn't have the power to change policy, and is prohibited from disclosing the briefing material, what is the point?
Debra Law

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 02:31 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

I find myself asking just why congress needed to be briefed. If it doesn't have the power to change policy, and is prohibited from disclosing the briefing material, what is the point?

I agree. There appears to be little point in briefing a few select members of Congress when their oversight powers are nullified by laws that prohibit disclosure of information classified as top secret. Obviously, Congress must come up with a better system.

Parties Face Off Over CIA Interrogation Briefings

Quote:
Allegations of torture under the Bush administration are prompting finger-pointing on Capitol Hill.

On Wednesday, Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee are holding Congress' first hearing on the four so-called torture memos made public last month.

Meanwhile, Republicans have seized on a CIA memo released last week that details more than three dozen congressional briefings on interrogation methods " including participants, dates and subject matter. Republicans have used that memo to suggest Democrats who had been briefed were complicit in what the majority party is now denouncing as torture.

As Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell put it Tuesday, if congressional Democrats want to put the past on trial by probing the so-called torture memos, "we'll want to know who all was briefed, who all approved such techniques " I think all of those are fair questions."

But Democrats don't think it's fair to focus on who took part in the briefings. Two years before Dianne Feinstein became chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, she was briefed by the CIA on its interrogation techniques. Feinstein says she was merely told in abstract accounts " rather than consulted about " what the CIA was doing.

"You're called in, and you sit down, and somebody tells you in as most pure sense, without any of the real world attributes attached to it, what we intend to do, and that's kind of it," she says.

Feinstein's briefing came more than four years after former Democratic Sen. Bob Graham was briefed by the CIA when he chaired the intelligence panel. Graham disputes the CIA's contention that he was told about enhanced interrogation techniques used on a detainee who already had been waterboarded. But even if he had been told, Graham says, it would have all been classified information.

"There's not much you can do, because you can't talk to anybody," he says. "You could talk to the executive branch and express your concerns, but there aren't a lot of effective options available to you."

When Democrat Jay Rockefeller was chairing the Senate intelligence panel in late 2007, the CIA admitted destroying videotapes of the waterboarding of two detainees. At the time, Rockefeller was seething " he said he had been told of those tapes' existence in a classified briefing years earlier, but was unable to disclose that information.

"I'm really angry about it. It's the manipulation of the Congress " the use of two people out of the Senate, two people out of the House " because nobody else can be told, including our committee. We can't even talk to anybody," he says. "And they say, 'Oh, they're briefed.'"

Still, Republicans maintain that Democrats who were briefed actually supported the CIA's actions. Pete Hoekstra, the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, doesn't buy the Democrats' position that they were constrained from acting on what they had learned.

"I've been involved a number of times where I've seen things that I don't like and have gone either public very carefully to make sure I don't disclose classified information, or gone directly to the speaker of the House or the president and said that I wanted policies changed or felt that they needed to be changed," he says. "I think it's sheer nonsense to believe that you can't do anything."

Indeed, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Tuesday that Democrats did act by expanding the group of lawmakers being briefed beyond just eight leaders.

"Once we realized what was going on, we took some actions: We forced changes in the gang of eight. We, secondly, forced changes in the detention and interrogation practices," he said.

Still, no matter how many members are briefed, the conundrum of how to act publicly on classified practices and policies remains.

0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 02:49 am
18 U.S.C. ยง 793.
Gathering, transmitting or losing defense information

(d) Whoever, lawfully having possession of, access to, control over, or being entrusted with any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, or note relating to the national defense, or information relating to the national defense which information the possessor has reason to believe could be used to the injury of the United States or to the advantage of any foreign nation, willfully communicates, delivers, transmits or causes to be communicated, delivered, or transmitted or attempts to communicate, deliver, transmit or cause to be communicated, delivered or transmitted the same to any person not entitled to receive it, or willfully retains the same and fails to deliver it on demand to the officer or employee of the United States entitled to receive it; . . .

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 10:34 am
@Debra Law,
That "ticking bomb" scenario belongs on the laugher curve, because they had to waterboard a prisoner 183 times in one month - and got zilch info out of him.

tick....tick...tick...
genoves

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 01:07 am
@cicerone imposter,
Was Cicerone Imposter waterboarded when he was in the concentration camps in California? If so that might explain his confusion!
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 01:10 am
Hawkeye 10 wrote:

This government leaks information front right and center, if Pelosi wanted to do something she had options. She reminds me a lot of Hillary, this rationalizing why she failed to step up to the plate when duty and honor required it as the Bush evildoers were taking a hatchet to the Constitution and the rule of law.
0 Replies