The new Pelosi firestorm

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 10:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Granted, it really shouldn't matter which congress member asks for any investigation of the CIA, but it's the conservatives who's been making hay out of the Pelosi yarn for the past month.

I don't care about the health of the conservative movement, I care about the health of America. I need the CIA to do their job right, it appears that they did not, so I have no sympathy for them. If they knew anything about how power works they would have known from the get go that doing the bidding of the Right in violation of their fiduciary duties to the majority was going to **** them. Those who powered over them are not going to protect them now when it becomes clear to all that they were too weak for the mission. The CIA friend list is shrinking fast, and their respectability is as well.

You should be cheering those on the Right who are not letting their parties desire to hurt Polosi get in the way of speaking up for what is the correct position on the CIA. Why can't you say "by golly, some of the guys on the other side are alright sometimes"?
genoves

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 11:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye--Cicerone is senile and Cyclops is a far left winger from Berkeley
We will start with that. But, note:

Here is the Wall Street Journal Editiorial with facts. It is up to the left wing to show that those facts are incorrect or they stand.

REVIEW & OUTLOOK MAY 11, 2009 What Congress Knew

On September 4, 2002, Porter Goss, then the Chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, and Nancy Pelosi, the ranking Democratic member, were given a classified briefing by the CIA on what the Agency calls "enhanced interrogation techniques," or, in persistent media parlance, "torture." In particular, the CIA briefed the members on the use of these techniques on Abu Zubaydah, a high-ranking al Qaeda operative captured in Pakistan the previous March.

AP
Abu Zubaydah was a name the future Speaker was already familiar with. That spring, information obtained from the terrorist had the FBI and other government agencies scrambling to prevent possible attacks on the Statue of Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge. It wasn't clear whether Abu Zubaydah was being truthful. "He is also very skilled at avoiding interrogation," Ms. Pelosi was quoted in Time magazine. "He is an agent of disinformation." It is precisely for such reasons that the CIA resorted to its enhanced techniques later that year, after gaining legal authorization.

These days, Speaker Pelosi insists she heard and saw no evil. "We were not -- I repeat -- were not told that waterboarding or any of these other enhanced interrogation methods were used," she told reporters late last month. "What they did tell us is that they had . . . the Office of Legal Counsel opinions [and] that they could be used, but not that they would."

That doesn't square with the memory of Mr. Goss, who has noted that "we were briefed, and we certainly understood what the CIA was doing," adding that "Not only was there no objection, there was actually concern about whether the agency was doing enough."

From the CIA
Read the documents provided by the Obama Administration's Director of National Intelligence to Congress on the CIA briefings attended by various Members.
Ms. Pelosi's denials are also difficult to square with a chronology of 40 CIA briefings to Congressional Members compiled by the CIA and released this week by Director Leon Panetta. For the September 4, 2002 meeting, the CIA's summary of the discussion reads: "Briefing on EITs including use of EITs on Abu Zubaydah, background on authorities, and a description of the particular EITs that had been employed." We emphasize the verb tense to underscore the contradiction with Ms. Pelosi's categorical denials of last month.

Ms. Pelosi was replaced by Jane Harman as the Committee's ranking member, but the bipartisan briefings continued. On February 4, 2003, Senators Pat Roberts and Jay Rockefeller of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence were given a briefing in which "EITs [were] 'described in considerable detail,' including 'how the water board was used.' The process by which the techniques were approved by DoJ was also raised." The document also adds that Mr. Rockefeller, the Committee's ranking Democrat, was later given an "individual briefing."

Nor was that the only time Mr. Rockefeller, who chaired the Committee from 2007 to 2009, heard from the CIA. The West Virginian was briefed at least 12 times more about interrogation techniques, legal authorities and other aspects of the program. The last, in June 2008, was offered to 10 members of the Senate Intelligence Committee and covered "discussion of EITs and the OLC [Office of Legal Counsel] opinions. Specific mentions of waterboarding numerous time."

Yet in October 2008, following a Washington Post report on the existence of the OLC memos, Mr. Rockefeller disclaimed any knowledge of the opinions. "If White House documents exist that set the policy for the use of coercive techniques such as waterboarding, those documents have been kept from the committee," said Mr. Rockefeller. "That is unacceptable, and represents the latest example of the Bush Administration withholding critical information from Congress and the American people in an attempt to limit our oversight of sensitive intelligence collection activities."

Amusingly, or almost, Senator Rockefeller's denial is flatly contradicted by his own report on the subject released last month, which notes that "On May 19, 2008, the Department of Justice and the Central Intelligence Agency provided the Committee with access to all opinions and a number of other documents prepared by the Office of Legal Counsel . . . concerning the legality of the CIA's detention and interrogation program. Five of these documents provided addressed the use of waterboarding."

So much for the canard that the Bush Administration didn't keep Congress informed. But Congressional Democrats are being equally disingenuous when they pretend they could do nothing about what they were hearing from the CIA. Members could, and sometimes did, object to proposed CIA actions and could stop them in their tracks.

More importantly, Congress had the power of the purse. Pete Hoekstra, the House Committee's current ranking member, tells us there was "pretty bipartisan support for the authorization bills and the funding bills," at least until the issue blew wide in the pages of the press. Latter-day opponents of the interrogation techniques, he adds, "never used a tool that was available to them if they wanted to stop them."

We suspect a last line of Democratic defense will be that the Members privately objected to the practices and made their concerns known to the CIA. That seems to be the case with Ms. Harman, who wrote the CIA just days after she was first briefed saying the interrogation practices raised "profound policy questions" and that she was "concerned about whether these have been as rigorously examined as the legal questions." Ironically, Ms. Harman now finds herself a target on the left for the unrelated AIPAC non-scandal.

If there were other Members who objected strenuously to the techniques at the time, let's see their letters. Otherwise, perhaps the CIA should release whatever notes they kept of the briefings. Our guess is that's one pile of memos Speaker Pelosi & Co. aren't especially eager to declassify.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 11:52 pm
Woiyo-

Read the exerpt from the WSJ editorial. Cicerone Imposter is, of course, senile.

Note:
These days, Speaker Pelosi insists she heard and saw no evil. "We were not -- I repeat -- were not told that waterboarding or any of these other enhanced interrogation methods were used," she told reporters late last month. "What they did tell us is that they had . . . the Office of Legal Counsel opinions [and] that they could be used, but not that they would."

That doesn't square with the memory of Mr. Goss, who has noted that "we were briefed, and we certainly understood what the CIA was doing," adding that "Not only was there no objection, there was actually concern about whether the agency was doing enough."

From the CIA
Read the documents provided by the Obama Administration's Director of National Intelligence to Congress on the CIA briefings attended by various Members.
Ms. Pelosi's denials are also difficult to square with a chronology of 40 CIA briefings to Congressional Members compiled by the CIA and released this week by Director Leon Panetta. For the September 4, 2002 meeting, the CIA's summary of the discussion reads: "Briefing on EITs including use of EITs on Abu Zubaydah, background on authorities, and a description of the particular EITs that had been employed." We emphasize the verb tense to underscore the contradiction with Ms. Pelosi's categorical denials of last month.

In order for Pelosi not to be lying, the following must be true:

l. Porter Goss is lying

2, the 40 CIA breifings released by the CIA DO NOT include the September 4, 2002 meeting which reads-"briefing on EIT's including use of EIT. on Abu Zubayday, background on authorities ,AND A DESCRIPTION OF THE PARTICULAR EIT'S THAT HAD BEEN EMPLOYED" or that the CIA manufactured the C IA briefing above.

3, That Leon Panetta, a DEMOCRAT appointed by Obama is being complicit in defending the CIA. If Mr. Panetta, who, I am sure is a loyal Democrat, thinks that some members of the CIA were lying, he would press for an investigation and cashier the guilty parties.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 11:54 pm
Woiyo---

Pelosi claims that she is telling the truth. It seems that the Democrats are confused and do not remember. Let us look at one of the members of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence--Senator Rockefeller.

quote from the same WSJ editorial-

Nor was that the only time Mr. Rockefeller, who chaired the Committee from 2007 to 2009, heard from the CIA. The West Virginian was briefed at least 12 times more about interrogation techniques, legal authorities and other aspects of the program. The last, in June 2008, was offered to 10 members of the Senate Intelligence Committee and covered "discussion of EITs and the OLC [Office of Legal Counsel] opinions. Specific mentions of waterboarding numerous time."

Yet in October 2008, following a Washington Post report on the existence of the OLC memos, Mr. Rockefeller disclaimed any knowledge of the opinions. "If White House documents exist that set the policy for the use of coercive techniques such as waterboarding, those documents have been kept from the committee," said Mr. Rockefeller. "That is unacceptable, and represents the latest example of the Bush Administration withholding critical information from Congress and the American people in an attempt to limit our oversight of sensitive intelligence collection activities."

Amusingly, or almost, Senator Rockefeller's denial is flatly contradicted by his own report on the subject released last month, which notes that "On May 19, 2008, the Department of Justice and the Central Intelligence Agency provided the Committee with access to all opinions and a number of other documents prepared by the Office of Legal Counsel . . . concerning the legality of the CIA's detention and interrogation program. Five of these documents provided addressed the use of waterboarding."

So much for the canard that the Bush Administration didn't keep Congress informed.

So you see, Woiyo, Rockefeller( who was on the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence) denied in October 2008 that he did not seethe OLC memos and then FORGOT? that HIS OWN MEMO of May 2008, five months previous, noted that he had see the OLC MEMOS
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 12:09 am
Woiyo-- Read the following--

http://www.propeller.com/story/2009/05/15/cia-director-leon-panetta-pelosi-received-the-truth/

It is up to the left wing to PROVE that Pelosi DID NOT ADMIT THAT SHE KNEW ABOUT THE CIA'S USE OF WATERBOARDING AS EARLY AS 2003.

Note the following:

quote from link above:

At the same news conference where she accused the CIA of misleading her on the topic, Pelosi acknowledged for the first time that she knew in 2003 that terrorism suspects were waterboarded. She said she learned that from an aide who sat in on a briefing in February 2003.

For weeks, Pelosi had dodged questions about what she knew about waterboarding and when she knew it. Republicans have called her a hypocrite for criticizing techniques as "torture" when she tacitly agreed to the practices after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. At least one lawmaker " Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) " called on Pelosi Friday to step down as Speaker.

At the same time, liberal groups could question why she didn't push back harder against the Bush administration. Pelosi defended herself for not speaking out at the time about information disclosed in a classified briefing. Asked why she didn't co-sign a formal objection by Rep. Jane Harman (D-Calif.), who attended the briefing with Pelosi aide Mike Sheehy, Pelosi said any objection would have done little good.

"No letter could change the policy," she said on May 14 at a news conference. "It was clear we had to change the leadership in Congress and in the White House. That was my job, the Congress part."

0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 06:14 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
We are now talking about the Bush regime from 2001 to 2008:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You are such a fool.

The US has used so called enhanced techniques FOREVER. It works in many cases (and probably fun in all cases!)

The problem with you, is you think you can fight a "clean war" and sterilize death and destruction. You think that probably because you probably never had the guts to fight for your country.

I did and I have a flash for you...WAR SUCKS. People die. Soldiers get mutilated. Civilians lose their property and many, their lives.

For what? Dirt? Religious beliefs? Material goods? (stop me when I get to something really important)

It really bothers me when ding-bats like Pelosi try to play the role of "conciliator" when the fact remains she and every member of Congress knew exactly what we were doing in 2001, 2002, 2003 and so on. They supported it and funded it.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 06:31 am
Republicans Push for FBI Probe into Pelosi's Accusations Against CIA

A growing chorus of Republican lawmakers is calling for an investigation into House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's accusation that the CIA lied to Congress about Bush-era interrogation techniques.

FBI Director Robert Mueller, when asked if a probe was under way, told Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., on Wednesday that he needed a referral before launching an investigation into the allegation.

So Issa offered one.

"If the CIA is lying to any of us -- and I've been briefed many times by them as a member of the Intelligence Committee -- it puts me in a position of not being able to do my job properly," he said.

Mueller said he would consult with the Justice Department on whether he should investigate the charges.

The exchange is the latest development in a controversy that began with Democrats seeking to hold Bush officials accountable for enhanced interrogation techniques used on terrorism suspects. But Pelosi's contradicting statements on if and when she was briefed on the methods have given Republicans ample ammunition in the partisan conflict.

Rep. Steve King, R-Ill., also called on Mueller to initiate an investigation.

"The CIA and other American defense and intelligence agencies cannot trust Nancy Pelosi without national secrets, let alone our national security, until this matter is resolved," King said in a written statement. "We need an investigation into the basis of Speaker Pelosi's very severe accusations. If true, there has been a serious violation of federal laws. If false, American national security requires a new speaker of the House. The severity of Speaker Pelosi's accusations leaves no middle ground."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/20/republicans-push-fbi-probe-pelosis-accusations-cia/

BRING IT ON!!!!!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 08:44 am
@Woiyo9,
Yes, let's do exactly that. Let us begin to investigate what happened.

By the way,

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2009/05/not_exactly_airtight.php?ref=fpblg

Quote:

Not Exactly Airtight

So those CIA documents that supposedly show that Nancy Pelosi was briefed on waterboarding also identify Porter Goss as a member of Congress at the time he was actually Director of the CIA.

--Josh Marshall

This is what happens when documents are re-created after the fact; they are full of lies and errors.

So yeah, let's start the investigation into torture and how we used it. I don't give a **** if you approve and applaud it, Woiyo, though the fact that you apparently gain happiness over the idea of torturing people makes you one sick ************ in my opinion. It's still illegal and people should be held responsible for it. And I could care less if it's Dems or Republicans who go down for authorizing it; I want everyone who did nothing to be treated the same.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 10:08 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye, I have no problem saying "the right is right sometimes." However, when the right continues to push an issue like Pelosi is a liar, and all I've done is try to bring some "balance" into the picture - by mentioning that even Boehner admitted a republican congressman also said the same thing. You would think that would be the end of it, but no....they want to pursue BS to the hilt.

I will not let BS fly no matter what the topic - whether it's against a liberal or conservative.

That's the reason I'm an Independent.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 10:25 am
More evidence against the case the Conservatives are peddling -

Quote:
Porter Goss, the former GOP Congressman who was in the room with Nancy Pelosi during their 2002 CIA briefing on interrogations, is declining through a spokesperson to say whether the two of them were told that enhanced interrogation techniques had been used. [...]

I asked a spokesperson for Goss if he would confirm that he and Pelosi had been informed of the use of torture. Goss was out of town, so it took her a while to get back to me, but now she has: She declined to answer the question, saying that Goss would not elaborate beyond what he said in a Washington Post Op ed last month. [...]

So I asked Goss’ spokesperson directly: Were he and Pelosi informed that EITs, including waterboarding, had already been used, and were they given a rough sense that Abu Zubaydah had been waterboarded more than 83 times the previous month?

Her answer: "He believes that his Op-ed makes it very clear and is not engaging beyond it at this time." She declined repeated requests to elaborate.

http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/torture/porter-goss-wont-say-whether-he-and-pelosi-were-told-about-use-of-torture/

When people who were in the room refuse to go on record, it's a pretty good sign that they are lying.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 01:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You betcha!
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 01:16 am
Woiyo9 wrote:

Republicans Push for FBI Probe into Pelosi's Accusations Against CIA

A growing chorus of Republican lawmakers is calling for an investigation into House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's accusation that the CIA lied to Congress about Bush-era interrogation techniques.

FBI Director Robert Mueller, when asked if a probe was under way, told Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., on Wednesday that he needed a referral before launching an investigation into the allegation.

So Issa offered one.

"If the CIA is lying to any of us -- and I've been briefed many times by them as a member of the Intelligence Committee -- it puts me in a position of not being able to do my job properly," he said.

Mueller said he would consult with the Justice Department on whether he should investigate the charges.

The exchange is the latest development in a controversy that began with Democrats seeking to hold Bush officials accountable for enhanced interrogation techniques used on terrorism suspects. But Pelosi's contradicting statements on if and when she was briefed on the methods have given Republicans ample ammunition in the partisan conflict.

Rep. Steve King, R-Ill., also called on Mueller to initiate an investigation.

"The CIA and other American defense and intelligence agencies cannot trust Nancy Pelosi without national secrets, let alone our national security, until this matter is resolved," King said in a written statement. "We need an investigation into the basis of Speaker Pelosi's very severe accusations. If true, there has been a serious violation of federal laws. If false, American national security requires a new speaker of the House. The severity of Speaker Pelosi's accusations leaves no middle ground."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/20/republicans-push-fbi-probe-pelosis-accusations-cia/

BRING IT ON!!!!!
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 01:18 am
Woiyo9 wrote:

Re: cicerone imposter (Post 3655773)
Quote:
We are now talking about the Bush regime from 2001 to 2008:

You are such a fool.

The US has used so called enhanced techniques FOREVER. It works in many cases (and probably fun in all cases!)

The problem with you, is you think you can fight a "clean war" and sterilize death and destruction. You think that probably because you probably never had the guts to fight for your country.

I did and I have a flash for you...WAR SUCKS. People die. Soldiers get mutilated. Civilians lose their property and many, their lives.

For what? Dirt? Religious beliefs? Material goods? (stop me when I get to something really important)

It really bothers me when ding-bats like Pelosi try to play the role of "conciliator" when the fact remains she and every member of Congress knew exactly what we were doing in 2001, 2002, 2003 and so on. They supported it and funded it.

Cicerone Imposter could not have fought for the USA. He would have been listed as a security risk!!!
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 01:20 am
Woiyo---

Pelosi claims that she is telling the truth. It seems that the Democrats are confused and do not remember. Let us look at one of the members of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence--Senator Rockefeller.

quote from the same WSJ editorial-

So much for the canard that the Bush Administration didn't keep Congress informed.

So you see, Woiyo, Rockefeller( who was on the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence) denied in October 2008 that he did not seethe OLC memos and then FORGOT? that HIS OWN MEMO of May 2008, five months previous, noted that he had see the OLC MEMOS
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 06:29 pm
And as the news creeps out of congress, here's the latest:

Quote:

Cheney hid CIA program from Congress: senator
Reuters

Did Cheney Urge CIA Concealment? Play Video ABC News " Did Cheney Urge CIA Concealment?

* Dick Cheney Slideshow:Dick Cheney
* Sources: Cheney told CIA not to discuss program Play Video Video:Sources: Cheney told CIA not to discuss program AP
* George's Bottom Line on Cheney's Role Play Video Video:George's Bottom Line on Cheney's Role ABC News

Former US Vice President Cheney gestures as he speaks about national security at the American Enterprise Institute in Washington Reuters " Former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney gestures as he speaks about national security at the American …
Sun Jul 12, 2:31 pm ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) " The CIA withheld information from Congress about a secret counterterrorism program on orders from former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney, a U.S. senator said on Sunday amid calls for an investigation.

Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein told "Fox News Sunday" that CIA Director Leon Panetta disclosed Cheney's involvement when he briefed members of Congress two weeks ago. She said Panetta told them he had canceled the program.

President Barack Obama appointed Panetta to head the agency early this year. The still-secret program, which The New York Times said never became operational, began after the September 11 attacks on the United States.

News of Cheney's involvement, reported by the Times on Sunday, prompted an outpouring of criticism by Obama's fellow Democrats and support by rival Republicans in Congress.

Feinstein, chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said: "Director Panetta did brief us two weeks ago -- I believe it was on the 24th of June ... and, as had been reported, did tell us that he was told that the vice president had ordered that the program not be briefed to the Congress."

Asked if the matter should be investigated, Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin said, "Absolutely."

The hide and seek Bush-Cheney team will eventually be exposed for all of their dastardly deeds. The stories get curiouser and curioser.
0 Replies