Do you "egg" people on - on A2k?

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 12:31 pm
I find I do this sometimes. Usually I don't mean to at first - I'm trying to be funny. It is just that most people don't appreciate (or more likely don't understand) my sense of humor. So I start writing something tongue in cheek, but some less than perceptive individual doesn't realize that a bit of what I am writing is an exaggeration. And this eggs them on. And of course I continue (because it is fun). I'm sure others have done it to me as well.

Ever do this? In error, like me? Do you fess up or continue the charade? Do you do this on purpose?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 17 • Views: 4,830 • Replies: 37
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 01:06 pm
I've done it, certainly.

Whether I goad someone or not kinda depends on their initial response. If someone is confused, then generally I apologize and explain. If someone gets up on their high-horse, then my tendency is to spook the horse....
Intrepid

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 02:16 pm
@DrewDad,
http://www.jupitergreetings.com/files/anims/thumbnails/387_sm.gif
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 02:40 pm
mebbe just a bit...
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 02:42 pm
@Rockhead,
u described the entire focus of my posting here.

Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 02:46 pm
Me? Me ? ! ? ! ?

Perish the thought . . .
Mame

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 02:49 pm
@Setanta,
LOL (oops, pulled a Chai there).
farmerman

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 03:11 pm
@Mame,
Seems like Im the onlu one who is fair with all folks. I never have picked up any rocks and handed them to folks to start an Irish Confetti parade.
Im certainly not like that dog breath guy a few posts back.
Linkat

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 03:17 pm
I was thinking about this - because I did it today without meaning to - I wrote something that was supposed to be an exaggeration and instead the person took it seriously so of course from their I kept pushing.

It depends on who it is if I fess up - I've had occassions where I wrote something I thought was funny and so obvious that you couldn't take me seriously and then some naivee but sweet person answered me seriously trying to guide me correctly. Because they were being thoughtful I had to let them know.

Then other cases I am a bit mean and say something like "duh" I was joking - those are usually resevered when some one responds to me hey bonehead how stupid are you.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 03:19 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I find I do this sometimes. Usually I don't mean to at first - I'm trying to be funny. It is just that most people don't appreciate (or more likely don't understand) my sense of humor. So I start writing something tongue in cheek, but some less than perceptive individual doesn't realize that a bit of what I am writing is an exaggeration. And this eggs them on. And of course I continue (because it is fun). I'm sure others have done it to me as well.

Ever do this? In error, like me? Do you fess up or continue the charade? Do you do this on purpose?

My humor is dry and obscure, but most of the time people realize I am joking. The only A2Kers who have ever reacted the wrong way are Farmerman and Setanta. It doesn't really matter though, the purpose of my jokes is to make myself laugh.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 03:23 pm
@wandeljw,
Those two just don't understand you the way we do. What can you expect from a farmer and a dog?

Wink
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 03:31 pm
@Intrepid,
dont hint at me, i know exactly whats going on, and would like to save everyone the favor of a double "egg on"

in the meantime, a few lines from my myspace profile.

you aint gotta say too much from the look in your eyes i can tell you wanna ****

you aint gotta call me your boo as bad as u wanna **** i wanna **** too..

that is all.
Mame

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 03:55 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Seems like Im the onlu one who is fair with all folks. I never have picked up any rocks and handed them to folks to start an Irish Confetti parade.
Im certainly not like that dog breath guy a few posts back.

I beg to disagree. Smile
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 04:01 pm
LOL!
mi eg peeples on?

no ways!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 04:34 pm
So much gets lost in the translation from my five senses to internet text to the sensibilities (or lack thereof) of the reader that even I can look back at things I've written and depending on what mood I'm in see it in a different light than my initial intent.

I do often try and throw in some underlying punning / play on words and such and I do like anti-humor.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 05:12 pm
@wandeljw,
I have to better assess what I write from an "audience" perspective. Once I was kidding about Reyn(in which I used some poor word choices and he took such offense that he still ignores me almost a year later. I guess I wouldnt have said anything percieved to be mean spirited but it just didnt sound mean spirited from this end.
MOst of my purposeful egging is done wide open , but if I shoot somebody "en passant", I can only claim "my bad".
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 05:15 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
The only A2Kers who have ever reacted the wrong way are Farmerman and Setanta. It doesn't really matter though, the purpose of my jokes is to make myself laugh
SO, ya list me first eh? I hope youre laughing in a subway with all the people watching as you write stuff in your Rasberry and everybody around you starts moving away.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 05:16 pm
No one understands my sarcastic sense of humor.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 06:01 pm
@OGIONIK,
You talkin to me? Shocked
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 06:13 pm
if it wasn't for farmerman and setanta I'd be down to a dozen cackleberries per week.