Do you "egg" people on - on A2k?

wandeljw

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 06:19 pm
Does anyone remember what the late comedian Bill Hicks said? "Insult humor is funny until someone gets hurt. Then, it becomes hilarious."
Izzie

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 07:08 pm
@Linkat,
lol (Chai2!)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 07:15 pm
@dyslexia,
Just a little bit of extra fibre could help with that.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 07:21 pm
If I don't have something nice to say, I just say nothing at all. And I'm kinda known for giving that advice to others. I'm like, "Hey, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Guess I've coined a new phrase.
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 07:34 pm
@Gargamel,
You ARE an egg.

Nog.

With red colouring.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 07:37 pm
@Gargamel,
Gargamel singing in an Alison Krauss falsetto. Such a freakazoid image.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 07:41 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Does anyone remember what the late comedian Bill Hicks said? "Insult humor is funny until someone gets hurt. Then, it becomes hilarious."

No, I don't remember that. Tell me about it.
Foofie

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 07:44 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I find I do this sometimes. Usually I don't mean to at first - I'm trying to be funny. It is just that most people don't appreciate (or more likely don't understand) my sense of humor. So I start writing something tongue in cheek, but some less than perceptive individual doesn't realize that a bit of what I am writing is an exaggeration. And this eggs them on. And of course I continue (because it is fun). I'm sure others have done it to me as well.

Ever do this? In error, like me? Do you fess up or continue the charade? Do you do this on purpose?

I think we develop a forum personality, and there may be some people that not only do not care for that forum personality, but may not care for the presence of that forum personality. In effect, my mere presence on a thread might be making some people less at peace with the world. It is interesting though, that people can be territorial over cyberspace. In effect, for some people, the forum may become a zero sum game; there must be a winner and a loser. Sort of Teutonic, if I was asked for an opinion.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:07 pm
@chai2,
I found the actual quote: "It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious."

Another quote from Bill Hicks: "I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 09:43 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
I find I do this sometimes. Usually I don't mean to at first - I'm trying to be funny. It is just that most people don't appreciate (or more likely don't understand) my sense of humor
PArt of the problem is that , when we write stuff, we read it running. We compose and write at the same time so it sounds one way to us. Little do we know that what we write can be interpreted several ways(EVEN if we are sure we were being outrageously funny, most people dont read it the same way).
It isnt a matter of having a sense of humor that isnt appreciated. In person, language and mannerisms add a whole nother dimension to our communications. Things like timing, gestures, emphases, all add to the delivery. In writing its only our composed sentences and from what Ive seen, there are a very few really good writers on A2K. (I am the worst, and my spelling sucks cuase Im too lazy to correct the misteaks) Most of us clip and blend , r like me, we just run on and on until people just give up and say "**** you" and hang up.

Or not.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 09:48 pm
@farmerman,
click
farmerman

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 09:52 pm
@Intrepid,
hello, HELLLLOO.

Kiss my ass narcissus.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 01:11 am
@Linkat,
neva, i'm ova it
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 08:24 am
@solipsister,
I think we have a winner in the "silly eggers" competition.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 08:44 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
I find I do this sometimes. Usually I don't mean to at first - I'm trying to be funny. It is just that most people don't appreciate (or more likely don't understand) my sense of humor
PArt of the problem is that , when we write stuff, we read it running. We compose and write at the same time so it sounds one way to us. Little do we know that what we write can be interpreted several ways(EVEN if we are sure we were being outrageously funny, most people dont read it the same way).
It isnt a matter of having a sense of humor that isnt appreciated. In person, language and mannerisms add a whole nother dimension to our communications. Things like timing, gestures, emphases, all add to the delivery. In writing its only our composed sentences and from what Ive seen, there are a very few really good writers on A2K. (I am the worst, and my spelling sucks cuase Im too lazy to correct the misteaks) Most of us clip and blend , r like me, we just run on and on until people just give up and say "**** you" and hang up.

Or not.

Your post above referenced me, yet the quote is not mine? Regardless, your point above, if I understand it correctly, seems to be that you do believe you have the right to excuse any incorrect spelling, possible dual meanings, and any other limitations that cyberspace puts on us (meaning one does not have to over compensate with more precise, nuanced wording).

I am happy for your privileged position in cyberspace. I am kvelling for you.

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 08:50 am
@Foofie,
nope, we have a new winner but in the ass**** division.(remember at abuzz when we had to write asshole as ass****?)
dyslexia

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 09:01 am
@farmerman,
I would opine that the situation is one of senility rather than assholiness.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:55 am
@farmerman,
I guess it is bad when I have to tell my husband sometimes that I am joking. Not too many people can understand my humor - I am a bit odd.
0 Replies