Is usage of the word "baby" correct here?

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 01:25 am
Native English speakers, please clear this usage up:
In the context below, the word "baby" is used as "small child" . Is the usage proper?
Context:
Miss A: I was told that you have broken off your betrothal with Mr. C?
Miss B: Yeah, I have.
Miss A: Why? Hasn't he been very nice to you, has he? And you also told me he was a loving boyfriend, not to mention he's so rich and handsome. Why did you want to disengage with him?
Miss B (with anger): The day before yesterday we both went to see a fortune teller, who told me that I would have 3 children. But the fortune teller told him that he would have 5. Jeez! With whom he will have his fourth, and fifth baby? He is not trustworthy to be my future hubby!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 772 • Replies: 4
No top replies

aidan

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 01:43 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
With whom he will have his fourth, and fifth baby

Should be 'babies'- plural.

Unless it said, 'With whom will he have his fourth baby? With whom will he have his fifth baby?' to emphasize the fact that there will be not one, but TWO unpleasant surprises with the guy. You could also use an exclamation point in terms of punctuation- to add emotion and interest and communicate your shock and disgust at this hypothetical situation.
0 Replies

RealEyes

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 02:30 am
Quote:
With whom he will have his fourth, and fifth baby?

The syntactical structuring is slightly awkward and almost archaic. It would sound much smoother as "With whom will he have his fourth, and fifth baby?"

Both 'baby' or 'babies' are acceptable as you can either be describing a series (his babies), or a set of individual instances (baby four and five).
aidan

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 02:43 am
@RealEyes,
I agree that's true, you could use either. But I think it's more clearly stated to use babies, especially if you're assuming he's having both babies with one person - a singular 'whom'.

Although I acknowledge, he could be having these babies with more than one unidentified 'whom'.

Grammatically both work - but using one or the other dependent upon the truth you're trying to communicate about the situation - would enhance clarity.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 04:17 am
I think I've caught the nuance.
Thank you both. Smile
0 Replies