Immanent FCC assault on talk radio?

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 07:36 pm
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=97508

Quote:

...The acting chairman of the Federal Communications Commission has told members of a "diversity" committee who almost exclusively represent left-leaning organizations to tackle the status quo in America's broadcast industry and suggest "aggressive" solutions to what they see as problems. ...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 857 • Replies: 6
No top replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 08:09 pm
@gungasnake,
Do not worry your leader and drug addict Limbaugh will not be taken off the air.

It would hardly be in the interest of the sane people of this courtry to lost such a fine example of how insane the right wing happen to be and how we should never allow them once more to assume power in this nation.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 08:29 am
@BillRM,
I'll say it again...

In the D.C. (nation's capital) region in the entire radio system of AM and FM bands which include PBC, CNN, and two or three other stations spewing leftwing bullshit 24/7, often at public expense, we have but the one AM station, WMAL/630, which features Limbaugh, Mark Levin, Hannity, and two or three other conservative talk show hosts.

I don't know of a reason to think that the situation would be different elsewhere in the country. I don't think anybody could produce an example of a metro area with 55 radio stations featuring rightwing talk hosts and only 3 AM channels left over; there simply aren't that many rightwing talk hosts who anybody would pay to advertise with or listen to.

For libs to demand bandwidth from WMAL is similar to slammites demanding land from Israel; all it amounts to is a desire to eliminate all forms of competition.

Libs appear to be hell bent on doing every sort of thing I'd do in their place if my main intention was to start a second civil war.
BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 01:07 pm
@gungasnake,
Turning the AM dial around in Miami there seem no lack of far right talk both in english and spanish and the government is paying millions for a far right wing control radio/tv signal to be boardcast to Cuba.

This is very annoying as almost no one on the island can pick up the TV signal and yet year after year we fund this silliness.

Anyone who wish to hear far right talk can do so in almost any radio market in the country and can get more over the internet.

Silly right wingers.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 01:31 pm
ohhh, the drama.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 03:43 pm
I hope that the new FCC will be less draconian in its fines, etc., for fleeting expletives, etc. Also, I hope it will be more open to the broadcast of a diversity of opinions.

[article]
Change is in the air...but is it change radio can believe in?

Incoming Chairman of the FCC Julius Genachowski is expected to be a big change from former Chairman Kevin Martin.

For the last eight years, the Martin-led FCC has been accused of closed-door decision making, a too-tough emphasis on perceived and/or fleeting indecency on radio and tv, and allowing too much media consolidation.

As an aside, it is due to relaxed ownership rules that companies like Clear Channel, who just released 9% of their work force, have been able to pick up scores of stations across the country and tie them together electronically, thereby eliminating jobs and also eliminating the "local-ness" of a station's news and public event coverage.

The new Chairman of the FCC is expected to monitor indecency complaints but not go looking for offenders to fine. This is good news for radio, which has been operating under rules that conjure up the specter of Big Brother from George Orwell's classic novel, 1984.

The new Chairman of the FCC is also expected to be more pro-active in broadband and technology issues. As the author of President Obama's Tech Manifesto, Mr. Genachowski called for more diversity in radio and tv station ownership, and also protection for the internet's openness and accessibility.

There is fear in talk radio circles that the Fairness Doctrine, a program that was in place for several decades and that was seen as a muffler for free speech on the nation's airwaves, might return. This remains to be seen...there are proponents of it in the House and Senate, so if it's something that the FCC wants to make public policy, then the Fairness Doctrine could come into play over the next four years. It will be an issue for the courts, though, as broadcasters are already preparing to fight any disciplinary action that the FCC under Julius Genachowski might mete out.

Radio is watching the new FCC carefully for signs of any regulatory changes. Here's hoping that major changes that could be detrimental to radio aren't implemented during this sluggish economy, as that could be the death blow for many struggling radio companies.

Sandy Weaver Carman is a 30 year major market radio professional and is the CEO of Voicework On Demand, Inc.

--ezinearticles.com

BillRM

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 04:55 pm
@Advocate,
By the way why the concern about radio when sound over the internet and downloading of podcasts is the wave of the future?

I listen to my local radio shows either by way of a real time stream or later by podcast almost never over an AM radio with all the noises and bad signals that come with it.

Soon cell phones will give you the same kind of an internet sound feed anywhere a cell phone will work and on and on the technology grow.

Anyone for a hundred dollars or so and a home computer and a internet access can start his very own internet radio program and broadcast any form of nonsense he care to completely free of the FCC control.

Satellite radio is dying because it can not compete with MP3 players and the internet now! Shares are what 17 cents now?
0 Replies