Official who OK'd Air Force One jet flyover resigns

djjd62

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 06:51 pm
CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Obama has accepted the resignation of Louis Caldera, the director of the White House Military Office responsible for the controversial low-altitude flyover of New York by a 747 plane used as Air Force One, the White House said Friday.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/05/08/air.force.one.flyover/art.plane.whitehouse.jpg

The 747 used as Air Force One flies over the Statue of Liberty in this photo released by the White House.

The photo shoot, which President Obama said he was "furious" with, happened on April 27. The image of a low-flying plane accompanied by an F-16 fighter jet sent some New Yorkers into the streets and into a panic -- reminding them of the tragic 9/11 attacks on the city.

Building evacuations also took place across the Hudson River in Jersey City, New Jersey.

Caldera later apologized for the flyover.

"I have concluded that the controversy surrounding the Presidential Airlift Group's aerial photo shoot over New York City has made it impossible for me to effectively lead the White House Military Office," Caldera said in a letter to Obama.

"Moreover, it has become a distraction to the important work you are doing as president. After much reflection, I believe it is incumbent on me to tender my resignation and step down as director of the White House Military Office."

The White House also released a photo of the flyover and a report on the incident on Friday.

In the report, the White House said Caldera, who had been traveling with President Obama when the flyover plans were initially discussed, did not remember a conversation in which his deputy, George Mulligan, informed him of the flyover.

Caldera did not open an e-mail about final plans for the flyover until after it had happened, the report said, noting Caldera had been suffering from severe muscle spasms and had left the officer early on several days.

Although recommendations by several parties involved in the flyover had been made that White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs and Deputy Chief of Staff Jim Messina be informed of the plans, the report said, that job was left to Caldera, who did not pass the information along.

The flyover, officials said, was a training mission -- it was also a government-sanctioned photo shoot.

Military officials estimate the mission and the photo shoot, aimed at updating file photos of Air Force One -- cost $328,835 in taxpayer money.

But they said "the hours would have been flown regardless, and the expenses would have been accrued on a different mission."

Witnesses reported seeing the plane circle over the Upper New York Bay near the Statue of Liberty before flying up the Hudson River. Watch the plane fly over Manhattan ยป

A YouTube video showed people standing in a parking lot, watching the plane approach. As it nears, they begin to run. "Run, run!" said one person. "Oh my God," cried another.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg was visibly angry last week. "I'm annoyed -- furious is a better word -- that I wasn't told," he said, adding that the decision by the White House Military Office and Federal Aviation Administration to withhold details about the flight were "ridiculous" and "poor judgment."

But according to Air Force Capt. Anna Carpenter, local law enforcement agencies and the FAA had been notified of the exercise.

New York Police Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne confirmed that department had been alerted about the flight "with directives to local authorities not to disclose information about it."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,111 • Replies: 17
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 06:59 pm
@djjd62,
That was hardly an apology. He didnt accept any responsibility ofr the dumass action. I saw this on Olberman tonight and Calderas excuse was that he had "back spasms" and was not in work all the time.
Hes supposed to be a top manager and he doesnt have a communication device that is connected to the bridge?
On behalf of the citizens and the mayor of New York, might I confer the title of "Douche bag of the first decade of the millenium" on Caldera.

Now, we might want to worry if he gets another job with similar responsibilities.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:03 pm
@djjd62,
LOUIS CALDERA said

Quote:
"I have concluded that the controversy surrounding the Presidential Airlift Group's aerial photo shoot over New York City has made it impossible for me to effectively lead the White House Military Office," Caldera said in a letter to Obama.

"Moreover, it has become a distraction to the important work you are doing as president. After much reflection, I believe it is incumbent on me to tender my resignation and step down as director of the White House Military Office."

What a pompous insensitive clueless shithead he is. A simple "I really screwed up and this resignation is testimony of my remorse"

0 Replies

Xenoche

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:09 pm
I don't see what the big deal is.
farmerman

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:12 pm
@Xenoche,
Then you oughta resign too.
sullyfish6

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:18 pm
You mean that of all the hundreds of people probably involved in the designing and planning of this debaucle - NO ONE raised a red flag? No one objected? no one did a sanity check on the entire idea?

All that power in the hands of ONE person? God help us.

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:27 pm
@sullyfish6,
In DC are little cabals of power, each overseen by a single leader with whom everyone is engaged in a constant dance for currying favor, and, above all, avoiding being personally criticized. SO, its possible that, even though all the other people thought this was a stupid idea they either

1wanted to show their mindless commitment to the "team leader" or

2secretly wanted his failure so that perhaps they would move up a notch

Everybody in DC has a nose up somebody elses ass or else, is getting ready to stick a shank in the ribs of the one in the next office closer to the corner.
0 Replies

Xenoche

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:35 pm
@farmerman,
I'm not paranoid enough obviously.
djjd62

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:38 pm
@Xenoche,
is it possible to just paranoid enough
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:38 pm
@Xenoche,
no, youre just a bit insensitive to think that theres nothing "unusual" about the whole stunt. I recd a call from a colleague who, working at a Manhattan iscohron lab, was ordered out of the building as this whole evnt transpired. Nobody even considered the feelings and angst in the average Manhattanite.
If you dont see that , well perhaps youre just still numbed from the last time.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:41 pm
@djjd62,
Why'd it take so long for him to resign? or be fired?

that admin just is no good at optics
djjd62

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:43 pm
@ehBeth,
really, people had stopped talking about it, and in another week or two it would have been all but forgotten

better late than never i guess
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:49 pm
Did anyone notice how bad that pic is?

You can barely see the Statue of Liberty.
If they wanted a flyby pic, they sure got a lousy one.

I could have done better with photoshop.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:53 pm
@mysteryman,
Jon Stewart did a whole photoshop shtick on this the day (day after?) it happened.

Were there ever smart politicians?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:54 pm
@ehBeth,
hmmm, I don't mean academically smart. I mean savvy/street smart.
0 Replies

Xenoche

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 08:09 pm
@farmerman,
So it was deliberately flown to create a news story?

Everyone seems a bit over-reactive.
Oh no, not peoples feelings. Does everyone flinch whenever a plane flies over head these days?

I can see how it could be insensitive, but the fuss is extraordinarily hilarious.
It's gone, it didn't hit any buildings, its just flew over, so what?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 08:12 pm
Hey give the guy a break! He had back spasms OK! Imagine if you had back spasms just as you were about to do a totally stupid dumb ass thing. You'd be in the same place he is!
0 Replies

Xenoche

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 08:22 pm
Back spasm, hah, pretty retarded excuse for something that's only demanding an excuse cause everyone's FrEAKIN' OuT Maaaaan!
0 Replies