How does the following quote sound to you grammatically?

fansy

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:57 pm
Quote:
When the Japanese became rich, considering themselves to be the No. I rich nation of the world, they rushed to the US to purchase properties, spending money lavishly, looking as if no one could ever stop them from buying. The Americans shouted in astonishment: Japan is going to buy up America. The outcome? The Americans just played gambits, tricking many Japanese into surrendering the properties they had bought without more ado.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 732 • Replies: 7
No top replies

BarbieQPickle

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 10:33 pm
@fansy,
Does not sound good at all!
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 10:34 pm
@fansy,
in all candour, you need editorial staff
aidan

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 12:58 am
@solipsister,
It's really only the first sentence that's grammatically awkward.
The last three sentences sound okay to my ear, in fact, I kind of like that part of it. I write like that myself - asking myself questions in the text and then answering them. It's a nice change up from same old, same old. Injects a sense of enthusiasm about your subject and the personality of the author is more highlighted - making the whole thing seem more interesting -but you need to check your punctuation.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 01:35 am
don't like "without more ado", not clear what you're trying to get at there. I'm also not sure it's factually correct, considering the amount of Japanese-owned property here, and considering the Japanese companies doing business here. Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, Suzuki, Kawasaki sound familiar?
fansy

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 04:39 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
When the Japanese became rich, they considered themselves to be the No. I rich nation of the world. They rushed to the US to purchase properties, spending money lavishly, as if no one could ever stop them from buying. The Americans shouted in astonishment: Japan is going to buy up America. The outcome? The Americans just played gambits, tricking many Japanese into surrendering the properties they had bought without hassling.

Or this improvement sounds better? Are there still some problems?

I quite appreciate your comments.
0 Replies

BarbieQPickle

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 01:40 pm
@fansy,
Shouldn't it be 'richest' instead of rich? And shouldn't it be.... The Americans shouted in astonishment "Japan is going to by up America."

Or is that wrong??
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 09:32 pm
@fansy,
Grammatically, both are grammatical. Smile
0 Replies