genoves

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 01:18 am
Foofie-you wrote-

I could retort with a concern over the Caucasian average IQ, since being a secular Jew, secular Jews have a higher average IQ than Gentile Caucasians. Not believing in Jewish superiority, I believe the difference is sociological. Meaning if Gentiles want a higher IQ then they should move to a Jewish neighborhood, so their Gentile children can be immersed in the intellectually competitive nature of secular Jewish school life.
endof quote

You are partly correct--secular Jews do have a higher average IQ than Gentile Caucasians but it is not only caused by enviroment. Of course, culture is a main factor. So is genetics. For more information on this see-
"The ten thousand year explosion" which holds that Ashkenazi Jews have genes which give them a ten point higher IQ than the average.

Yes, culture is important. People who are dedicated to Education, reading and study like Jews and most Asians in the US, will do much better than a group who thinks basketball is the pre-eminent activity.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 01:23 am
@DrewDad,
Drew Dad is not aware that more Whites voted for McCAin( a weak candidate).

African-Americans and Hispanics put Obama over the top. Most of them cannot read at a higher level than Grade six so, of course, they never read any Editorials or Books which told the real truth about Obama
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 01:31 am
@Advocate,
I think you may be interested in the book by Dr. Andrew Hacker, Advocate.

He too is for redistribution of resources.

In his book,"Money"( which I have in my library) he states that $100,000 a year should be the maximum income from all sources for any one individual. If someone made or earned more, then the surplus must be remanded to the central goverment so that it can be re-distributed to those in the bottom half of the
income scale. Hacker claims that no one needs more than $100,000 a year to live and that the redistribution would make the people at the bottom of the scale very happy and better citizens.

Isn't that an interesting proposal?
Foofie

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 07:54 am
@genoves,
genoves wrote:

It is clear that experts on cognitive studies show that African-Americans have IQ levels which are ten or fifteen points below white levels

Based on an overall average, perhaps. This tells us nothing. One needs a histogram, based on classes of gradated IQ's, within subcategories. Meaning, one histogram for all American Blacks. One histogram for Blacks of West Indian descent. One histogram for Jewish-Americans. One histogram for White Protestant Americans. One histogram for White Catholics. One histogram for White Northerners. One histogram for White Southerners. One histogram for White Westerners. One histogram for Southern Blacks. One histogram for Northern Blacks. Each histogram should also show the respective percentage of the total White or Black populations in the U.S.

If one then draws a line connecting the tops of the histogram rankings, one has separate bellcurves for each subcategory.

Then one can make some inferences from the data. Averages (the "mean") do not necessarily show anything of import. There is also the mode, and the median. For society, the mode might be most telling.

If you tell me that you value the "mean" (arithmetical average), that is an opinion you have every right to have. Do not try to promulgate it to me.

P.S. My thinking reflects one year of college statistics. Any reply you respond with will be going to the proverbial File 13. Save your typing skills for other posts, please.

DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 08:56 am
@Foofie,
Genoves has been on this board before under different accounts trying to peddle his Bellcurve BS.
genoves

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 01:14 am
@DrewDad,
So the Bell Curve is BS? Well, Drew Dad, I don't think you know very much about the Bell Curve. I have analyzed it carefully and participated in a seminar on the Bell Curve.

But, if you are an EXPERT, tell us why the Bell Curve is BS. Or are you unable to do so?
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 08:19 am
@genoves,
what if a "Bell curve" is force fit by using derivative methods (like trend surfaces of n-Order)? Then you can fit just about any piece of data within a bell curve.

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 09:18 am
@farmerman,
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~chance/course/topics/curveball.html
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 12:58 pm
@Lightwizard,
yeh, I didnt even mention factor analysis. And with Hartmanns numbers of correlation no better than .2 to .4, shows that
1 The concept is all wet

2Its actually less than could be predicted by chance alone.

Forcing data has always been a problem oin the sciences.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 03:21 pm
@Lightwizard,
That's an excellent link; thank you.
genoves

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 04:37 pm
@farmerman,
What is a Bell Curve?

Bell Curves are not only common in nature, they have a close mathematical affinity to the meaning of the standard deviation. IN ANY TRUE NORMAL DISTRIBUTION, no matter whether the elements are the heights of basketball players, the diameters of screw heads or the milk production of cows, 68.27 of all the cases fall in the interval between 1 standard deviation above the mean and 1 standard deviation below it.
'
Surely, there can be problem with the concept of standard deviation from the mean!
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 04:41 pm
I have no idea) since he did not elaborate, just what Farmerman meant by "forcing data".

I do know what a median is and I do know that in any classroom, half the students who take a test will fall below the median and half above it( of course, some may score precisely at the median score.

I do hope that Farmerman is not saying that testing is bogus--that the SAT scores are meaningless--that the LSAT and MCAT mean nothing.
Lightwizard

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 05:04 pm
@DrewDad,
You're welcome -- there's more from real mathematicians, scientists and sociologists debunking this "bell curve" that would not ring -- I think the Wingnuts don't just have a stick up their ass, but the missing clapper.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 11:39 pm
@genoves,
What do you mean by "forcing data", Farmerman?

Any good Statistics texbook shows Bell Curves. See "Statistics" by William L. Hays-Pub. by Holt, Rinehart and Winston---1963 PP. 90-91.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 11:42 pm
Lightwizard wrote:

there's more from real mathematicians, scientists and sociologists debunking this "bell curve" that would not ring.

Absolutely false. There can be no commentary from anyone who is a "real mathematician, scientist or sociologist saying that there is no such thing as a bell curve.

You just bloviate. No one said there is no Bell Curve.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 07:57 am
http://www.bartcop.com/far-right-field.jpg
farmerman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 08:53 am
@edgarblythe,
AH HA HA HA HAAAA
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 08:57 am
@edgarblythe,
hehehe

just what I needed after a day of all-baseball-movies-all-the-time yesterday Very Happy
farmerman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 09:10 am
@ehBeth,
WE CANT LET THEM FIRE THE CARTOONISTS. See how he got the feeling of the donkey partly in the shadows at home plate. Suns going down and all the light is to center and right. Is there a lesson in that?
rosborne979

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 09:14 am
@farmerman,
Maybe the donkey is in the shade and it's too hot in the sun. Smile
0 Replies