Seeing Double

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 09:24 pm
When you see a girl and her twin sister you might say "Am I seeing double?" Here, the phrase "see double" could be understood very well. Just calm down, and you will know there is nothing wrong with your eyes: the twin sisters are there. But I couldn't get the humorous title below well. Can you tell me what "Seeing Double" in the headline below exactly means?

Seeing Double: Eyes in the sky to catch the eruption of solar storms in 3-D

NASA said in a press release this week that twin spacecraft providing long-view, 3-D images of the sun might help provide better warning about solar storms, particularly events called coronal mass ejections (CMEs).

These torrents of ionized gas and magnetic field energy can weigh billions of tons and stretch to many times the size of Earth. When these solar hurricanes come into contact with our planet’s atmosphere, they can damage satellites, interfere with radio communications and cell phones, and knock out power grids on the ground, as they did on March 13, 1989, leaving six million Canadians without power. (Besides wrecking havoc, CMEs also produce dazzling displays known as the aurora borealis or australis, the northern and southern lights.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 447 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 09:40 pm
@oristarA,
Well, it is playing with the idea of "seeing double" which is well illustrated in your anecdote about the twins...ie the idea that the view from two eyes, normally seen as one image, has been altered in some way, so that the separate images from each eye are visible (very didorienting!).

What it MEANS is that they are using (plan to use) images from two satellites to view the sun......thus seeing two images..."double vision"...and that, as similarly with our eyes, this 3D version of the images will give more sensory data to work from.

Thus 'seeing double" ie from two satellites, enhances our vision, in this case!
oristarA

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 11:02 pm
@dlowan,
Thank you dlowan.
I got it now. Smile
0 Replies