LAW VS. MORAL VALUES

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 02:06 pm
I equate it with forgetting about discrimination because the author chooses to focus on the things about that society which he liked, while ignoring the enormities of every day life for many millions, for tens of millions of people in America before the 1970s. Not to imply that things were rosy after 1970, but some progress had been made, and would continue. In many states, you could literally get away with murder if you found your wife in bed with another man and you killed them both. If you were an adult homosexual, and indulged in consensual sex with another adult, and anyone were able to report this to the police, you could be sent to prison to do hard time. How courteous was that?

You could drink and drive, and cause accidents repeatedly, including fatal accidents, and not lose your driver's license. At the same time, you could be sent up for decades if you were apprehended in possession of a few grams of marijuana. You could beat your children like cheap carpets, and it was no one's damned business but your own.

I could wish for a more considerate and courteous world. I hold the door for anyone, not just "ladies" and the elderly or the apparently infirm. I say please and thank you and attempt to be pleasant and polite to everyone i encounter in public. That doesn't mean that i have any illusions that the world was somehow a better place 50 years ago . . . it wasn't, it was a hellhole for most people in society, who were not white, middle-class and either male or content to be the wife of such a man with little choice in how one lived.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 02:11 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Why is it impossible to only look at some good things without having to dredge through all the chaff the the negative nellies continuously feel they need to add?

Sure, everything wasn't all daisy's and rainbows, and there have been some good advances, but why not try to bring forward the good things from yesterday and join them with the good things today?

I agree. If it was the other way around and Williams was writing about negatives of the present day and didn't also list everything that is positive, I suppose there would be protests and scorn from the same people that he was 'omitting' stuff. Maybe they just can't accept that he has a point? It doesn't look like anybody is willing to talk about it, though. Not one has yet acknowledged that there WAS any virtue in what Williams offered as illustrations. C'est la vie on A2K.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 02:13 pm
Jeeze, you just don't get it. People are reacting the way they are because they don't think he has a point. We are allowed to disagree with you, you know, Church Lady.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 02:16 pm
I agree. None of you seem to think he has a point. It has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with me because the only point that I have made is that none of you seem to be able to see the point he is making. And now you confirm that you don't see the point he is making. It's okay. I'll just go find some folks who would like to discuss it because I do find the subject interesting and would enjoy discussing it.

Do have a great day.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 02:19 pm
@Setanta,
Bull McGentrix!

The article Foxpharisee posts is not a positive one. It is a hit piece on the modern American way of life.

In this article he justifies calling women a "slut". Advocates smacking one's kids. Suggests that giving a woman a baby shower is a bad thing unless she is married (it seems to me to be a more meaningful gesture for single mothers) and implies that women of the past didn't face sexual harrassment.

McGentrix, I understand your need to defend all things conservative.

But, this article is not positive at all. It is petty, ignorant and meanspirited.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 02:20 pm
@Foxfyre,
I see the point he is trying to make, i just don't agree that he has a point to make, because it entails ignoring that only a small proportion of the population were treated with that civility, while a large proportion of the population were subject to mild, occasional to severe, almost continual abuse. That is not a portrait of a civil, polite, "moral" society. That is a portrait of self-deluding society. But i guess that you can't see that point, because you want to believe in "the good old days." No sucha thing . . . never was, never will be . . .

Have a crappy day, Church Lady . . .
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 02:50 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Why is it impossible to only look at some good things without having to dredge through all the chaff the the negative nellies continuously feel they need to add?

Sure, everything wasn't all daisy's and rainbows, and there have been some good advances, but why not try to bring forward the good things from yesterday and join them with the good things today?

I wish kids today played outside as much as I did when I was a kid.

I think a lot of what people see as having been negative behaviors in the past that are commonly accepted and tolerated today have entered homes and influenced behaviors through mainstream culture, mainly tv and the internet.

I know that I was less exposed to a lot of things that I'd consider questionable than my children are or have been. And this is not because I'm not a vigilant parent - I am. But unless you lock them in a bare room with no electronics and/or keep them out of school and away from their peers - you really have much less control over what they're exposed to than parents did when I was growing up.

Because children see people acting and behaving in ways that are rude, coarse, and objectionable in polite society on tv and in movies, and they hear the laugh track to go right along with it. This says to them: 'It's funny, cool, acceptable, appropriate, to do and say these things or be this way.'

And I think we as adults have to take responsiblity for what we find funny or valuable, because that's what we're feeding these kids (electronically). They don't create this stuff - adults do.

But no, I don't think we should go back to shunning people who end up pregnant without the benefit of marriage, for instance.
What good could that possibly achieve for that mother or that baby?
Doesn't that mother need a baby shower even moreso than one who is married? Doesn't that baby need sleepers and diapers too?
To shun is just being judgmental and cruel.

I think we should do a better job as adults of modeling appropriate language and behavior and work to instill REAL self-esteem in ALL children by providing ALL children with opportunity for success and respectful treatment beginning in their first year at school.
You can tell in kindergarten which kids do not feel valued.
And if you're perceptive, you can walk in any classroom and tell immediately which students the teacher does and doesn't value.
And every student can tell you the same.
This will impact the child for the rest of his or her life and will certainly inform his or her behavior in and out of school.

If they're not the big man or woman in one arena, they'll do whatever they can to achieve it in another.

I also think less electronic stimulation in a child's life would mean more human interaction which would lead to stronger families and or supportive communities because there'd be less time vegetating and isolating in front of the tv or computer.

Unfortunately, I don't really see that happening in any mainstream way either. Because many of the parents are just as hooked as the kids, (if not moreso).

It's easy to talk about rude kids, but I don't really find it surprising when I see all the rude adults around. I have to say that, in general, I find today's children to be more polite than their parents.

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 03:16 pm
@aidan,
Thank you Aidan!!!

I pretty much agree with all points but there is a point or two that Williams raised and you touched on that I think merits at least some consideration.

One was this line of his:
Quote:
Keep in mind that the 1940s and '50s were a time of gross racial discrimination, high black poverty and few opportunities compared to today. The fact that black neighborhoods were far more civilized at that time should give pause to the excuses of today that blames today's pathology on poverty and discrimination.

My experience growing up in the 40s and 50s was that the child, Anglo, Hispanic, Native American, or black, who did not have a mom AND dad at home was really unusual. The child who did not have parents who showed up for PTA meetings and teacher/parent conferences was pretty unusual. And the teacher who could not count on the support of most parents to deal with problems the child was having was almost unheard of. And that was accomplished without drugging the kids with behavior modifying substances. I see all of that as definite positives.

Now the child with multiple step parents or living with grandparents because the parents can't or won't get their act together or living with a single parent is the norm rather than unusual. I have a difficult time seeing that as a positive.

And this one:

Quote:
Baby showers are held for unwed mothers. Yesteryear, such an acceptance of illegitimacy would have been unthinkable . . . .You might be tempted to charge, "Williams, you're a prude!" I'd ask you whether high rates of illegitimacy make a positive contribution to a civilized society. If not, how would you propose that illegitimacy be controlled? In years past, it was controlled through social sanctions like disgrace and shunning.

Nobody is more opposed to heaping shame on those who make mistakes than I am, and I am one who has more than once spoken out against afixing the figurative 'scarlet letter' to the sinner. Nor do I think Williams is saying anyting like that. What he is saying that marriage should be encouraged before children are brought into the world and we don't do that when we celebrate or treat no differently those who sort of skip that step. So back then the unfortunate girl who messed up went away privately to have the baby. Such girls were treated with kindness and understanding, but the stigma definitely did discourage the activity thus children outside of marriage were a very rare thing even before abortion was made legal. And no, the girls weren't going to back alley butchers either. In small towns you know.

So, if cultural mores and shame are not utilized to ensure that most children will be born into stable two-parent families and therefore have the best shot to escape poverty, neglect, crime, and inadequate education, then what can we do as a society to get back to that point? Does anybody think it is an undesirable goal?

(Disclaimer: I am not suggesting that ALL children born outside traditional families are disadvantaged, but the evidence is clear that statistically they will be at higher risk to be in poverty, to drop out of school, to get in trouble with the law, etc.)

ebrown p

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 03:43 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
My experience growing up in the 40s and 50s was that the child, Anglo, Hispanic, Native American, or black, who did not have a mom AND dad at home was really unusual.

In your experience? How many Hispanic, Native American or black kids were there in school with you in the 40s and 50s?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 05:04 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Many of us who are older than say 50+ can remember an America that was for the most part kinder, gentler, less coarse, more civil, more safe for everybody. We could leave the windows down and the keys in our auto ignition with no concerns whatsoever. We slept with the windows wide open at night or even slept outside on a hot summer night. We could throw a pallet out along the highway and sleep in perfect safety when we couldn't afford a motel. People weren't afraid of the hitchhiker or the hobo who offered to work for a meal or the stranger who needed road assistance. There was far fewer children born out of wedlock and far fewer people in prison.

Walter Williams touches on those times in this essay, along with his opinion that it was basic shared moral/social values that created that a more satisfying quality of life for all.

Do you agree? Disagree? Could such a society be re-created? Should it be? Or would the price be too high?

Disagree.
I am significantly over 50, and that is not how I remember it.
As an American citizen, I take exception to the values
that Williams expresses.
My vu point is set forth in color to distinguish my commentary from his.

Williams is too societarian, for my taste.
Society can be too dangerous.
We need to keep it on a short leash.

Quote:
A MINORITY VIEW
BY WALTER WILLIAMS
APRIL 29, 2009

Law vs. Moral Values

A civilized society's first line of defense is not the law, police and courts but customs, traditions and moral values. Behavioral norms, mostly transmitted by example, word of mouth and religious teachings, represent a body of wisdom distilled over the ages through experience and trial and error. They include important thou-shalt-nots such as shalt not murder, shalt not steal, shalt not lie and cheat, but they also include all those courtesies one might call ladylike and gentlemanly conduct.

The failure to fully transmit values and traditions to subsequent generations
represents one of the failings of the so-called greatest generation.

This comment tacitly implies that what is transmitted
will be ACCEPTED by the subsequent generation.
That is questionable.
I may well be old on the outside, but I feel that I am still the
single digit age kid on the INSIDE that I was when I received
this transmission. At that time, tho I had an open mind,
I felt that I owed it to myself to be a critical thinker,
and meticulously scrutinized such transmitted moral concepts,
accepting or rejecting them piecemeal, on a very eclectic basis.

I recommend that to all future generations.
Don 't let anyone else do your thinking for u.

Behavior accepted as the norm today would have been seen as despicable yesteryear. There are television debt relief advertisements that promise to help debtors to pay back only half of what they owe. Foul language is spoken by children in front of and sometimes to teachers
and other adults. When I was a youngster, it was unthinkable
to use foul language to an adult;
it would have meant a smack across the face.
THAT woud have warranted an appropriate counterattack,
in a sensitive area (e.g., smack to face results in stomp on instep, fracturing foot,
or kick to fracture knee), to teach the abuser a lesson to keep his or her hands to himself.
Other options include civil and criminal litigation.
I never saw it actually happen, thus it never became necessary within my observation.
When I was a child (and now) I vehemently rejected the idea that I was not
the equal of any other citizen, no matter who.
I remember arguments with adults wherein I stuck up for my rights.
If I had a kid, I 'd certainly encourage him to do likewise.
As a child, I spoke to everyone the same, which was not particularly offensive,
nor was it above average in profanity.
Every person of all ages shoud do likewise.

Americans shoud not be cowards.
Americans have no reason to CRINGE because of their ages.

Back then, parents and teachers didn't have child-raising "experts" to tell them that "time out" is a means of discipline.
Baby showers are held for unwed mothers. Yesteryear, such an acceptance of illegitimacy would have been unthinkable.
BALONEY !
This is the land of the free and the home of the brave.
Giving birth is a private and personal matter.
If someone else does not like it, based on religious or other reasons, then SCREW HIM.
(FIGURATIVELY SPEAKING, only)
The chick shoud not let that unpopularity be her problem.
She probably has enuf to be concerned about already.

To see men sitting whilst a woman or elderly person was standing on a crowded bus or trolley car used to be unthinkable.
It was common decency for a man to give up his seat.
I used to accept that
until I noticed that my girlfriends LIKED to use their feet.
I used to believe that females were too weak to stand on subways or buses.
Whereas I took cabs, at times thay INSISTED on walking.
I deemed that unnatural; that 's what big yellow things r for.
(I took particular notice of this, because it fell to me to walk
along side of them, instead of using a cab, as Nature intended.)

Once when I was 13, I took a crowded bus to school.
I saw a well dressed gray haired woman, probably in her 50s,
accost a lad about my age, demanding of him (angrily) that he
surrender his seat to her. He fled and she took the stolen seat.
I was shocked. I approached her, put my ugly face within a few inches of hers
and informed her that she did well to choose a coward to rob him
of his seat, that if she 'd tried that with me, she 'd be lying on the floor.
I informed her that when I saw her do that, I only barely restrained
my temptation to throw her off the bus so that people with better
manners coud ride without her.
To a limited extent, I empathized with the victim of her robbery, whose dignity she violated.

Today, in some cities there are ordinances requiring public conveyances to set aside seats posted "Senior Citizen Seating."
Laws have replaced common decency.

Years ago, a young lady who allowed a guy to have his hand
in her rear pocket as they strolled down the street would have been seen as a slut.
Whether a female is sexually active
is a personal matter and no one 's business.
When such aspersions have been cast in my presence,
I have challenged their logical foundation,
and have made the denouncing party admit (in some instances)
that no one 's rights were violated by her sexual exertions.

Children addressing adults by first names was unacceptable.
In my opinion, it is not acceptable to degrade the dignity of a child,
bullying, by reason of his age. Its like the Indian caste system.
I 'd not have put up with that as a kid, but again, I don 't remember that I ever had that problem, personally.

You might be tempted to charge, "Williams, you're a prude!"
I'd ask you whether high rates of illegitimacy make a positive contribution to a civilized society.
If not, how would you propose that illegitimacy be controlled?
MY answer woud be joining, with enthusiasm,
in the spirit of William H. Vanderbilt: "let the public BE DAMNED"
asserting the freedom of the individual, and pointing out
that it is NO ONE's duty to serve society-- that society
is the creation, the child, of The Individual Citizen,
who is the Father of Society.

In years past, it was controlled through social sanctions like disgrace and shunning.
Whoever is so disposed is still free to shun.

Is foul language to or in the presence of teachers conducive to an atmosphere
of discipline and respect necessary for effective education?
Well, LET's NOT LOSE SIGHT OF WHO
IS WORKING FOR WHOM. The teacher is paid to serve
either the public, in a public school, or those who pay the tuition
that finds its way onto his dinner table.

If I hire a teacher, or if I hire ANYONE,
I choose to have him treat me with appropriate respect.

If not, how would you propose it be controlled? Years ago, simply sassing a teacher
would have meant a trip to the vice principal's office for
an attitude adjustment administered with a paddle.
Again, that calls into question:
who is the boss? Government or the citizens who created the damned thing ?
When we created government, we did it to repel alien raids and invasions
and to assist us in executing vengeance upon malefactors.
We did NOT create government because of a felt need
to be tyrannized nor enslaved. Each of us; each citizen,
stands in the shoes of the Founders who created government.
We must always hold that fact in front of government's face.

As citizens, we shoud always fight to reduce, curtail and degrade the jurisdiction of government.
We shoud put legislators on a commission basis, instead of salary,
such thay r paid for each law thay repeal and fined for any law
that thay enact limiting personal freedom.

Let 's keep our child "society" and its henchman, government, on short leashes.

David

DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 05:11 pm
http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Positivity-effect

Quote:
...compared with younger adults' memories, older adults' memories are more likely to consist of positive than negative information and more likely to be distorted in a positive direction.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 05:12 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
My experience growing up in the 40s and 50s was that the child, Anglo, Hispanic, Native American, or black, who did not have a mom AND dad at home was really unusual.

In your experience? How many Hispanic, Native American or black kids were there in school with you in the 40s and 50s?
\

A lot. The "Anglos" were in the minority when I was in Highschool in Santa Fe, and we probably had 30+% Hispanic (mostly of Mexican origin) in our school in southeast New Mexico before we moved to Santa Fe. I was a freshman in highschool when the Lovington schools were desegregated and all the black kids that had previously been bussed to the "black school" in Hobbs--something that never made any sense to the rest of us kids--were allowed to go to school with us. They were all quickly assimilated and included in all activities and in the general social group with no bad scenes of any kind.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 05:18 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
It might be helpful to know that Dr. Williams is a black man, and he, Dr. Thomas Sowell, Dr. Shelby Steele, Bill Cosby, and several other black citizens of the 60+ year old generation have written opinion in much the same vein.

No, it's not. Bullshit is bullshit, whether the bull who's shitting it is black or white.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 05:41 pm
@Thomas,
The point of Dr. Williams' race though was made an issue by a member who assumed he wouldn't write what you seem to be referring to as 'bullshit' if he was a black man who had to sit in the back of the bus. He was in fact writing as a black man who once had to sit in the back of the bus.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 05:49 pm
@Foxfyre,
I doubt that he had to sit at the back of the bus in Philadelphia.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 06:10 pm
@FreeDuck,
I honestly don't know though I doubt he made it all the way to the Civil Rights Act and full desegregation without experiencing at least some of that stuff. I believe Philadelphia was among the last of the big cities to desegregate and I know he did grow up in a poor neighborhood.

Here is an excerpt from another of Williams commentaries, this time commenting on Bill Cosby's wonderful tirade on social values:

Quote:
Bill Cosby and I differ in age by one year -- I'm older. We both spent part of our youth, in the 1940s and 1950s, growing up in North Philadelphia's Richard Allen housing project. Being poor then was different from being poor now. My sister and I were rare among Richard Allen's residents. Our parents were separated, but nearly every other kid lived in a two-parent household. Black teen pregnancy was relatively rare and just a tiny fraction of today's. During those days, many residents rarely locked their doors until the last person came home. Hot summer nights saw many people fearlessly sleeping in their yards or on their balconies.

Today, less than 40 percent of black children live in two-parent families, compared to 70 percent and 80 percent in earlier periods. Illegitimacy, at 70 percent, is unprecedented in black history. Between 1976 and 2000, over 50 percent of all homicides in the United States were committed by blacks, and 94 percent of the time, the victim was black. These are devastating problems, but are they caused by racism, and will spending resources fighting racial discrimination solve them?

Don't give me any of that legacy-of-slavery nonsense unless you can explain why all of these problems were not worse during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, at a time when blacks were much closer to slavery, were much poorer, faced more discrimination and had fewer opportunities.
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=3719
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 06:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, thanks for your time and effort to respond in such detail. We are usually on the same page on most stuff but this time I will have to respectfully mostly disagree, as I do see merit and benefit from many of the American values that Williams mentioned. I don't think choosing to be courteous, civil, or conform to societal values takes anything away from us or diminishes our ability to be our own person in the least while it does provide measurable benefits even as I come from a long line of very independent and strong women and don't relate at all to the wimpish, discriminated against women as some wish to portray women from the 1940's and 50's.

You would probably like Williams overall though because he is as passionately libertarian as you are.
aidan

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 02:05 am
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
My experience growing up in the 40s and 50s was that the child, Anglo, Hispanic, Native American, or black, who did not have a mom AND dad at home was really unusual. The child who did not have parents who showed up for PTA meetings and teacher/parent conferences was pretty unusual. And the teacher who could not count on the support of most parents to deal with problems the child was having was almost unheard of. And that was accomplished without drugging the kids with behavior modifying substances. I see all of that as definite positives.

Yes. I remember my first teaching job when I was twenty-three and I was working with a sixteen year old. He was making sexually innappropriate comments to me ( remember I was only twenty-three) and some of the other females in the class. I asked him to stop. Then I TOLD him to stop. Then I talked with him after class and tried to help him understand how innappropriate it was and how uncomfortable it was making the females in the room feel. I told him if he persisted, I'd have to make an appointment to talk with his mother. He said, 'Go ahead, call her,' and laughed.
His mother was about twenty years older than I was at that time- probably around your age. She came to the meeting drugged up out of her head on something or other. The principal and I could only look on in shock as she told me I should be flattered at his attention- but that she knew he was a bad boy and then she turned to him and said, 'Cut it out or I'll take you out to 295 and drop you off at one of the exits and you can go wherever you want from there....'

So not every parent from back then was clean and sober and cooperative with the teacher. In fact, I learned something about how definitely NOT to parent from the parents I dealt with as a teacher before I had kids.

I think the difference is the world we've created since the forties and fifties. There is so much more stimulation. And drugs are part of that change.
I have friends in the medical profession who tell me that adults my age are more likely to be on some sort of antidepressant or mood elevator than not.
Their kids see them taking drugs to make it through the day. They don't find it at all out of the ordinary if the parents then tell the children to take drugs to make it through the day. It's a way of life for millions of people of ALL ages.

But it's like I always ask my dad - who must be about your age- when he starts in on 'This younger generation' negatively - talking about my peers. I say, 'Dad - who raised 'this younger generation'? Do you guys take ANY responsibility for the way the world is now?'

Quote:
Now the child with multiple step parents or living with grandparents because the parents can't or won't get their act together or living with a single parent is the norm rather than unusual. I have a difficult time seeing that as a positive.

I don't see it as a positive either.

Quote:
What he is saying that marriage should be encouraged before children are brought into the world and we don't do that when we celebrate or treat no differently those who sort of skip that step. So back then the unfortunate girl who messed up went away privately to have the baby. Such girls were treated with kindness and understanding, but the stigma definitely did discourage the activity thus children outside of marriage were a very rare thing even before abortion was made legal. And no, the girls weren't going to back alley butchers either. In small towns you know.

I don't call it kind or understanding to force a girl to leave her home, hide who she is and what she's done and in many cases, take her child and place that child for adoption against her will - so that the facade of gentility and properness can be maintained for the family.

People were getting married much younger back then. My mother was engaged at nineteen and married at twenty-one. My grandmother was married at sixteen and a mother at eighteen. I think that's one of the differences, and reasons that you saw so many fewer children born out of wedlock.

But I'm in agreement with you - fewer children born before the woman is truly ready to parent would be wonderful. More healthy for both the young women and the babies.
I think that could be achieved with education rather than community disapproval and branding of people with negative labels.

I think, from my observations of my own children and many others, that things are made too easy for people now. A lot of things that people used to have to learn how to go without or work very hard and save for are very conveniently obtained - even for relatively poor people.
There's not a lot of perseverence and struggle involved in obtaining a fairly comfortable level of subsistence.
Strength of character and determination are not really called upon anymore (unless you have a disability of some sort) to achieve a fairly comfortable existence.
This has encouraged or produced through sheer habit, a certain laziness or malaise- physically, emotionally and spiritually (and I'm not talking about religion).
In fact I'd even go so far as to say that the fact that physical labor or movement is so unnecessary in most day to day lives, this has encouraged an overall lack of energy toward life.
If it aint easy - we don't want it.
(That's why David needs his yellow cabs)
Laughing Laughing (Just kidding David)

But again, we who have lived in the world have created what it is for those who are just beginning to experience now. How can we look at them and blame it on them?
Setanta

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 04:22 am
@Foxfyre,
As usual, Church Lady, you're lying. I made no issue of William's race--you did. I made an issue of his selective memory. Cf. DD's quoted source on the selective memories of older people as compared to those much younger.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 07:13 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:

David, thanks for your time and effort to respond in such detail.
We are usually on the same page on most stuff but this time I will
have to respectfully mostly disagree, as I do see merit and benefit
from many of the American values that Williams mentioned.

I don 't deny that there is merit and benefit
from many of the American values that Williams mentioned,
but I maintain that thay shoud be subordinated
to higher considerations, to wit: freedom of the Individual Citizen.

Quote:

I don't think choosing to be courteous, civil, or conform to societal values
takes anything away from us or diminishes our ability to be our own person in the least
while it does provide measurable benefits

OK, IF that can be done without one group of people (e.g., the young)
subordinating itself to another by means of this voluntary courtesy.
When I meet a young person, if we are to be on a first name basis,
I introduce myself by my first name. I have found that parents
ofen tell them to refer to me by my last name, but I usually say:
"no, no, no, just David" thereby to preserve a plane of equality,
and friendship, as distinct from a relationship of domination.
Williams differs from that point of vu; i.e., he wants children
to adopt behaviors which result in their implicitly inviting subjugation.
There is a widespread mindset of children being PROPERTY,
like the family horse. This concept was conspicuous in the debate
qua whether to grant political assylum to Elian Gonzalez.
The 13th Amendment being what it is,
it seems to me that children have the OPPORTUNITY to be the guests
of their parents, NOT the duty, to be their slaves.
If a child elects to leave his parents, that is DIFFERENT than
the family horse breaking out of the corral and departing hence.

When I was on-the-job taking the testimony of children,
I never talked down to them; treated them with the same respect as anyone.

Quote:
You would probably like Williams overall though
because he is as passionately libertarian as you are.

That strains credulity, based upon the implicit assumptions
of his article. Nowhere in his article did I see him exalt liberty
nor champion freedom. Williams assumes that individual freedom
and the dignity of the individual (especially YOUNG individual)
shoud be subordinated to the well being of society.

From that, I dissent.

David