The National Do Not Call Registry

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 09:56 pm
My phones have been on it for awhile, and yesterday I finally reported someone. Dillard's called to let me in on their forthcoming sale. Is there any way that I can eventually know what happened? Were they fined? Did they wriggle out? Did they claim a prior business relationship because I've bought something there within the past 18 months? Can I ever know what happened, or is reporting somebody like dropping information off a cliff never to be seen again?

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 10:06 pm
@Brandon9000,
Interesting you bring this up..

I've lived in a kind of reprieve for some years, by virtue of opting out.. for which I am wildly grateful.

but, just recently I'm getting obnoxious calls on my cell (which ******* cost me money), and requests for me and my vehicle to shape up on my land line.

Which makes me wonder, is there some kind of blatz gaming this system?
maporsche

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 10:17 pm
@ossobuco,
There is a 5 year expiration on the DNC registry. You may have expired.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 10:52 pm
@maporsche,
https://www.donotcall.gov/

Quote:
Your registration will not expire. Telephone numbers placed on the National Do Not Call Registry will remain on it permanently due to the Do-Not-Call Improvement Act of 2007, which became law in February 2008. Read more about it at http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2008/04/dncfyi.shtm.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 06:26 pm
None of which addresses my question in any way.
Linkat

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 06:53 am
@Brandon9000,
Why don't you call Dillards and ask them?
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:29 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Why don't you call Dillards and ask them?

I did. They were very apathetic. They claimed a manager would call me, but it never happened. Apparently, they feel they can do as they please.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:32 am
@Brandon9000,
Are you sure that you have never had an encounter with Dillards? IF you ever filled out a charge card application or otherwise gave up your number then they can call at any time for any reason.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:41 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Are you sure that you have never had an encounter with Dillards? IF you ever filled out a charge card application or otherwise gave up your number then they can call at any time for any reason.

If any store you ever make a purchase at can claim a prior business relationship and phone you as they please, then the Do Not Call Registry isn't very useful. However, my question was really intended to discover whether there's any way to check on the results of a complaint.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:53 am
@Brandon9000,
My point is that you may not have a valid do not call registry complaint. You can ask dillards to remove you from their lists, and I am pretty sure that by law that they must. They don't need to notify you though. Never getting another call is your notice.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 08:03 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

My point is that you may not have a valid do not call registry complaint. You can ask dillards to remove you from their lists, and I am pretty sure that by law that they must. They don't need to notify you though. Never getting another call is your notice.

This is why I want to find out the result of my complaint. Did Dillard's claim a business relationship? I am trying to find out if people who make complaints to the Do Not Call Registry can ever discover the result. If one can never know the outcome of a complaint, then the Registry is much less useful. My question is about the Registry, not about the call from Dillard's.
Linkat

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 08:03 am
@hawkeye10,
Yes - I agree - I have found when I've told places not to call - then tend to apoligze and say they will update their records. I would imagine Dillards would want to keep a good rep and will comply.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 08:05 am
@Brandon9000,
If you have done any business with Dillards, (or any other company ) they are exempt from the "Do Not Call" Registry, and are permitted to call, E Mail or write to you.

I am on the "Do Not Call" Registry. I rarely get anything in the mail from any company.I have recently purchased things from a couple of firms. I am now inundated with their catalogs. That was my choice, and now I am stuck with it.

Quote:
but, just recently I'm getting obnoxious calls on my cell (which ******* cost me money), and requests for me and my vehicle to shape up on my land line.

Osso-THAT I would report. To my knowledge, solicitors are not permitted to contact people on cellphones, because of the reason you so colorfully noted!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 09:15 am
@Brandon9000,
You could easily do what I'd have to do to find an answer to your question. Go to the Do Not Call Registry website and scan the info there to see if they answer your question.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 09:16 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

You could easily do what I'd have to do to find an answer to your question. Go to the Do Not Call Registry website and scan the info there to see if they answer your question.

I did that before starting this thread. There was no way I could see to check.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 09:28 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Interesting you bring this up..

I've lived in a kind of reprieve for some years, by virtue of opting out.. for which I am wildly grateful.

Which makes me wonder, is there some kind of blatz gaming this system?

osso, most cell phone providers have a "block spam numbers" feature.
With Verizon you can do it online, I don't know about others, but check it
out or call your provider. They'll help you!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 11:58 am
@CalamityJane,
Thanks, CJ, I'll check that.
0 Replies

bungie

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 01:00 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

edit
edit

We are fortunate in Australia that only the caller pays for the phone call.
The receiver is not charged. Geeze there would be an uproar if they tried charging both.
maporsche

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:25 pm
@bungie,
That's the way it is here too....I'm not sure why he's complaining about that.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 06:16 pm
@maporsche,
So, then, the Do Not Call Registry is at least partially a fraud. You register a complaint and there is no way on Earth to discover what the result was, or even if they acted on it at all. At least no one seems to have any different information to tell me.