DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 11:55 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
The masks do little...

Again, it depends on the mask, and how you use it:

http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/is-it-safe-to-fly-during-the-swine-flu-outbreak/

Quote:
Consider a face mask. Face masks may help but only need to be used when outbreaks become widespread and are declared a pandemic. The most commonly used simple face masks only filter about 62 percent of very small particles, compared to about 98 percent for professional-grade face masks (these are typically designated N-95). Simple face masks are designed to prevent large droplets that are coughed or sneezed from contaminating the environment rather than protecting the wearer. Bring an extra mask along, and kindly offer it to anyone coughing or sneezing who looks sick. This will keep any droplets from landing on you.

Do face masks help prevent swine flu infection?
Quote:
If used correctly, masks and -- more likely -- respirators may indeed reduce the risk of getting influenza, according to information released from the CDC. But for people who live in areas with confirmed cases, there is no single action that will provide complete protection. It simply isn't practical to wear a mask all the time, and they are not 100% foolproof.

Face masks and respirators are most useful for people who are in crowded settings, such as classrooms or airplanes, where they will protect the mouth and nose from germs and reduce the likelihood of coughing or sneezing on other people.

Face masks and respirators are sometimes recommended for people who are in close contact with an infected person. "Close contact" is defined as three feet or less by the World Health Organization and six feet or less by the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Face masks and respirators should be worn once, according to the World Health Organization. (Look for face masks labeled for surgical, dental, medical procedure, isolation or laser use.)

Health experts note that face masks and respirators should be used along with other precautions, such as frequent hand-washing, covering coughs, staying at home if ill and avoiding crowds.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 11:58 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Not just high risk people, but people in general really should be taking reasonable caution.

So yeah, even though I was kidding about plastic bubbles, I'm not at all opposed to extra hand washing, staying away from places with a lot of people, and if there was an outbreak here, I wouldn't absolutely discredit wearing a mask. (in my car at least Wink )

At $20/box, it might not hurt to have a few N95-rated masks on hand in case things go South.... (so to speak)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 08:25 pm
MEXICO CITY " The cloth patches in green, blue and white are everywhere, clamped tight over the mouth and nose of teachers, toddlers, policemen and drunks. Even the statue at the church of St. Jude, patron of lost causes, has been fitted with a light-blue surgical mask to ward off swine flu. But do they work?

While Mexico has handed out millions of facial coverings, U.S. officials have held off, saying there is little evidence of their effectiveness. Some doctors warn they might even be harmful, causing people to take risks " like venturing into crowds or neglecting to wash hands " in the mistaken belief that the mask protects them.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_swine_flu_the_mask
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 08:30 pm
@dyslexia,
Well, air is air and gets through masks. I can get with the idea that there is some screening by them... especially the super dupers that can be used on some construction jobs. Most beginning type of masks are not so great.

Millipore filters, anyone?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 08:34 pm
@ossobuco,
I admit that this panic scenario seems a reactive construct to me, with a certain underlying potential if r, s, t, u, v, w, x, y, z come together. My present view is of looking at the globe diving into a kind of self destructo maneuver.

Of course, I do hope I'm right on my assessment.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 07:14 am
@dyslexia,
I'll take CDC info over an awkwardly-worded Yahoo news article....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 04:49 pm
@dyslexia,
Similar article, Dys -- HERE
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 07:58 pm
Mine just broke apart.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 08:17 pm
Should someone not point out that a flu virus mutating to this new strain points to evolution being valid?

However, now that this new strain exists, the comment on radio that is most sobering is that like a famous Hollywood movie character, comes winter, it most likely "will be back."
0 Replies