21 polo horses die in South Florida

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 03:43 pm
According to this CNN article 21 horses died recently at a polo match.

It's very sad, but I'm wondering what could have caused this. At first I assumed it must have been something they ate or drank, but one of the investigators reported that the whole event took place too quickly to have come from ingestion.

That pretty much leaves injection of some type of tainted drug. Either that or intentional poisoning (which seems unlikely).

For the moment it's a sad mystery.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,304 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Letty

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 04:19 pm
@rosborne979,
I saw that on the news, ros. Tragic!

WELLINGTON, Fla. " The sudden death of 21 polo horses at a championship event in Florida may have been caused by a toxin in the animals' feed, vitamins or supplements, veterinarians said Monday.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 04:20 pm
@rosborne979,
sheesh, how does something like this happen? polo horses are such beautiful animals.

I really hate to think of anyone wanting to harm such powerful, wonderful creatures.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 04:31 pm
I had only heard the headline in passing on CNN and my first thought was they must have all died of shock from lightning since there were tornado warnings and lightning storms in that area at the same time frame.

When I learned it was not a mass, sudden death, but more of a lingering one with several dropping at different times, I wondered if lightning could still be an answer. Maybe the lightning strike wasn't enough to cause immediate death, but was enough to do lethal harm to their nervous systems that eventually killed them.
chai2

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 04:51 pm
@Butrflynet,
I was just listening to NPR about this news.

Seems rumors are starting to fly.

Terrible thing. Animals are innocents.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 04:51 pm
@Butrflynet,
When I first saw the headline I thought it would be a barn fire or something like that. I was surprised when I saw the details.

I don't think lightning can do what happened.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 05:17 am
@rosborne979,
The veterenarian called in was certain that , due to the pattern, the deaths were caused by intoxication by some chemical. His guess, before the autopsy and toxicology results , was that this was caused by an injection with some form of off spec shot. He was initially going through any medication data.

They said that the tox screening would take several days due to the number of animals involved.

My neighbor has a couple of ponies that he and his wife use for polo, theirs are really hyper animals and hes always keeping them separate from other horses that he rescues.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 06:35 am
So far it's looking like tainted vitamin injections which they give them right before the matches.

"Vitamin" must be the latest euphemism for the "make my horsey faster/better/stronger" chemical.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 04:34 pm
@rosborne979,
http://uk.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUKN23347924
rosborne979

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 05:46 pm
@ehBeth,

They're closing in on it...
Quote:
Necropsies on the dead horses found internal hemorrhaging but that was not considered significant in light of the manner in which the horses died, "gasping for air and thrashing about," McElroy said.

"What was the underlying cause of the respiratory difficulty?" he said. "That's still the 64,000-dollar question."
0 Replies

zeroyanke7

Reply Mon 29 May, 2017 11:49 pm
@rosborne979,
Barbeque for all of the houses lost in the flooding and the tornados in the south? Who made this mess? Someone who believes in vivisection just as much as the next phony? Or some little freckled face hormonal freak. I like the freckled face hormonal freaks. The working class is being all shipped over seas as says.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2017 10:48 pm
What in Hell are you talking about?
Ragman

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2017 06:57 am
@roger,
Clearly from his other post in this it seems that his word processor is a food processor - Perhaps a Veg-O-Matic.
0 Replies