Only 2 cars on long empty highway yet they collide -why?

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 01:47 pm
So why is it, jogger is running on a highway edge, no cars for miles, yet when a car does come by, after driving a straight path for miles, it veers into the jogger and kills the jogger? Or the only one car in westbound lane and one car in eastbound lane on an empty highway and one driving straight for miles veers slightly when approaching the other and they collide head on killing the one who didn't veer? And how about the people who lived on 9-11 by being late to work in the tower?

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 01:58 pm
@liloleme,
The first two cases are well covered in basic neuropsychology courses.

No idea about the third.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 02:40 pm
@ehBeth,
I don't know about all that, interested re the neuropsychology.

Not to make you look stuff up, but maybe key words?

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 03:51 pm
In drivers' education, fifty years ago, our instructor told us that one tends to steer in the direction one is looking. He advised us to look at the side of the road, day or night, when another car is approaching. Good advice, i've followed it ever since then.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 06:52 pm
@liloleme,
Quote:
And how about the people who lived on 9-11 by being late to work in the tower?

Huh? That's a total no-sequitur.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 08:25 am
@liloleme,
Could there have been solar glare? I know the other day I was driving on this road almost like you describe other than it is more a country road with about 35 mile per hour road. From the distance I could see a jogger/walker on the side of the road I was driving. As I started to get closer the sun was completely in my eyes - I couldn't see a thing. I slowed way down and moved a little into the other lane because I knew I would some upon him.

And not until I would have hit him (had I not seen him earlier and moved over - more than likely though he would have seen me and moved to the grass and out of the street) was I able to see him again. Funny I knew the guy.

Either that or texting perhaps.....drunk driving --- falling asleep while driving.
mark noble

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 10:51 am
@Linkat,
I believe the poster is referring to the odds/probabilities of likelyhood, rather than potential causes of driver-distraction, link.

pygmy-emus stampeding is a common cause of driver-error, btw.
Linkat

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 11:02 am
@mark noble,
Yeah I fully realized that was just stating the obvious
0 Replies