FreeDuck

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:24 am
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:

If you've read both reports, you're aware that there was not a 'footnote' for the left wing report. No organization or group, as they were named in the left wing report, were named in the right wing report, either.

Ok. But what's that supposed to indicate, though? One had a footnote, the other didn't. One named names, the other didn't. If anything, I think naming names is worse, as it gives the impression that the government has declared those entities to be terrorist groups or some such.

Quote:
"It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as abortion or immigration."

Now, what if the left wing report had contained a footnote such as:

"It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as animal rights or the environment."

I think either is fine, especially when taken in context with the whole of the footnote.
DHS wrote:
Rightwing extremism in the United States can be broadly divided into those groups, movements, and
adherents that are primarily hate-oriented (based on hatred of particular religious, racial or ethnic groups),
and those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or
rejecting government authority entirely. It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a
single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration.

This is a categorization not a definition. In other words, given that these groups are extremists, they fall into these sub categories. It doesn't mean that you are an extremist if you are dedicated to opposing abortion. If you are dedicated to using violence to oppose abortion, that's another story.

And in fact, the left-wing report does mention animal rights activists and environmentalists:
DHS wrote:
DHS/Office of Intelligence and Analysis defines leftwing extremists as
groups or individuals who embrace radical elements of the anarchist, animal rights, or
environmental movements
and are often willing to violate the law to achieve their
objectives.

It may be a fair criticism that the left wing report does actually define left wing extremism whereas the right wing report does not, but that hardly justifies the mass freak-out that followed this report based on a single line from the footnote.

Quote:

But it wouldn't be fair to lump those extremists with those who are simply 'dedicated,' would it?

Again, trying to be objective, could you imagine the outcry from the liberal media and the left?

Again, I just didn't read it that way at all.

Quote:
Coming from the other side of the ideological fence, you certainly don't identify with those who hold ‘single beliefs’. But imagine, (please) how you would feel if the left wing report had a footnote as I illustrated.

Well, it might help you to understand that I don't identify with animal rights activists or environmentalists either. I believe I'm coming from my perch atop the fence, and not from the other side.

Quote:
BTW, I don't believe the govt has any business telling women what they can or can't do with their bodies.

But it should bother anyone when a law enforcement agency of the fed govt looks at individuals based on their beliefs, don't you think?

If I thought that's what they were doing, yes. I don't read it the same way, though, and the overreaction I see by some people -- end-timers who think that Obama is persecuting Christians with this report -- only reinforces that.
A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 12:28 pm
@FreeDuck,
Quote:

Ok. But what's that supposed to indicate, though? One had a footnote, the other didn't. One named names, the other didn't. If anything, I think naming names is worse, as it gives the impression that the government has declared those entities to be terrorist groups or some such.

I think this is where individuals in the DHS allowed their own political beliefs to show. If the right wing report had named specific groups, such as the KKK, skinheads, or any other group, it would have been received as a legitimate, non-biased report.

But anytime a govt agency paints with a broad brush they are, in essence, profiling, don't you think?

Quote:

DHS wrote:
"Rightwing extremism in the United States can be broadly divided into those groups, movements, and adherents that are primarily hate-oriented (based on hatred of particular religious, racial or ethnic groups), and those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or rejecting government authority entirely. It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration."

This is a categorization not a definition. In other words, given that these groups are extremists, they fall into these sub categories. It doesn't mean that you are an extremist if you are dedicated to opposing abortion. If you are dedicated to using violence to oppose abortion, that's another story.

IF is a big word. Plenty of non violent protesters out there opposed to abortion and immigration that will never be extremists.

Quote:

It may be a fair criticism that the left wing report does actually define left wing extremism whereas the right wing report does not, but that hardly justifies the mass freak-out that followed this report based on a single line from the footnote.

Well, it might help you to understand that I don't identify with animal rights activists or environmentalists either. I believe I'm coming from my perch atop the fence, and not from the other side.

What issues are you passionate about, if any? Let me know, and I will use those as an example so you may relate?

Quote:

If I thought that's what they were doing, yes. I don't read it the same way, though, and the overreaction I see by some people -- end-timers who think that Obama is persecuting Christians with this report -- only reinforces that.

No, what this report does is reinforce the beliefs by ignorant liberals that most conservatives are right wing nut jobs ready to explode in violence.

End timers? Persecuting Christians?

No, not necessarily. But this is a good example of how some see the right.

But how about someone fed up with the Fed Govt's response to illegal immigration? Or despise Obama due the actions he's taken so far in office?

The left is always quick to play the race card (labeling those with conservative beliefs as haters) when someone disagrees with their beliefs. They are doing it here, what with their response to this report.

The left holds protest marches that often end in violence. But we don't see every liberal painted with a broad brush by a Dept of Homeland Security. When the FBI spied on the left and tried to do so in the past, the left correctly objected.

As those on the right are doing now, after being incorrectly profiled by law enforcement.

BTW, you didn't mention what you thought the PETA or Sierra Club response would be, if the DHS had issued a similar left wing report/footnote...
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 12:31 pm
@A Lone Voice,
Quote:

No, what this report does is reinforce the beliefs by ignorant liberals that most conservatives are right wing nut jobs ready to explode in violence.

No, it doesn't. But you guys sure are taking this awful personal for a bunch of well-balanced folks.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 12:43 pm
@A Lone Voice,
Quote:
If the right wing report had named specific groups, such as the KKK, skinheads, or any other group, it would have been received as a legitimate, non-biased report.

I thought you said you read the report LV..
Quote:
“large numbers
of potentially violent neo-Nazis, skinheads, and other white supremacists are now
learning the art of warfare in the [U.S.] armed forces.”

It seems you didn't read the report LV. You decided they didn't name any groups because of the one page you actually read.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 12:52 pm
@A Lone Voice,
Let's compare the key findings from each report LV.
Quote:
(U) Key Findings
(U//FOUO) DHS/Office of Intelligence and Analysis (I&A) judges that a number of
emerging trends point to leftwing extremists maturing and expanding their cyber attack
capabilities over the next decade with the aim of attacking targets in the United States.
" (U//FOUO) The potential for economic damage, the individually-initiated and
anonymous nature of cyber attacks, and the perception that cyber attacks are
nonviolent align well with the ideological beliefs, strategic objectives, and
tactics of many leftwing extremists.
" (U//FOUO) The increasing reliance of commercial businesses and other
enterprises on cyber technologies, including interconnected networks and
remote access, creates new and expanding vulnerabilities that technically-savvy
leftwing extremists will exploit.
" (U//FOUO) The proliferation of cyber technologies and expertise as well as the
public availability of online hacking tools and “hackers-for-hire” offer leftwing
extremists incentives to adopt a cyber attack strategy.

Not only did the report not list any groups. It didn't even discuss issues. It just used the term "left wing" Your argument is made up crap LV. The leftwing report doesn't list groups in its key findings and is even less specific than the rightwing report.

Quote:
(U) Key Findings
(U//LES) The DHS/Office of Intelligence and Analysis (I&A) has no specific
information that domestic rightwing* terrorists are currently planning acts of violence,
but rightwing extremists may be gaining new recruits by playing on their fears about
several emergent issues. The economic downturn and the election of the first
African American president present unique drivers for rightwing radicalization and
recruitment.
" (U//LES) Threats from white supremacist and violent antigovernment groups
during 2009 have been largely rhetorical and have not indicated plans to carry
out violent acts. Nevertheless, the consequences of a prolonged economic
downturn"including real estate foreclosures, unemployment, and an inability
to obtain credit"could create a fertile recruiting environment for rightwing
extremists and even result in confrontations between such groups and
government authorities similar to those in the past.
" (U//LES) Rightwing extremists have capitalized on the election of the first
African American president, and are focusing their efforts to recruit new
members, mobilize existing supporters, and broaden their scope and appeal
through propaganda, but they have not yet turned to attack planning.
(U//FOUO) The current economic and political climate has some similarities to the
1990s when rightwing extremism experienced a resurgence fueled largely by an
economic recession, criticism about the outsourcing of jobs, and the perceived threat to
U.S. power and sovereignty by other foreign powers.
" (U//FOUO) During the 1990s, these issues contributed to the growth in the
number of domestic rightwing terrorist and extremist groups and an increase in
violent acts targeting government facilities, law enforcement officers, banks,
and infrastructure sectors.
" (U//FOUO) Growth of these groups subsided in reaction to increased
government scrutiny as a result of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing and
disrupted plots, improvements in the economy, and the continued U.S. standing
as the preeminent world power.
(U//FOUO) The possible passage of new restrictions on firearms and the return of
military veterans facing significant challenges reintegrating into their communities
could lead to the potential emergence of terrorist groups or lone wolf extremists
capable of carrying out violent attacks.
* (U) Rightwing extremism in the United States can be broadly divided into those groups, movements, and
adherents that are primarily hate-oriented (based on hatred of particular religious, racial or ethnic groups),
and those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or
rejecting government authority entirely. It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a
single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration.

Page 3 of 9
" (U//FOUO) Proposed imposition of firearms restrictions and weapons bans
likely would attract new members into the ranks of rightwing extremist groups,
as well as potentially spur some of them to begin planning and training for
violence against the government. The high volume of purchases and
stockpiling of weapons and ammunition by rightwing extremists in anticipation
of restrictions and bans in some parts of the country continue to be a primary
concern to law enforcement.
" (U//FOUO) Returning veterans possess combat skills and experience that are
attractive to rightwing extremists. DHS/I&A is concerned that rightwing
extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize returning veterans in order to
boost their violent capabilities.

SO.. lets look at your argument. You claim the RW report doesn't list groups, yet it does list a group that you just said they should have listed. When we examine the Key findings of each report where you found and complained about how they define RW extremists we find it is in fact far more descriptive than the LW report is where there IS no description of what is a LW threat.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 01:12 pm
Conservatives 2002: "Stop whining!"

Conservatives 2009: "Whaaaaaaaaaaa!"
A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 01:36 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:

2002?

Do you mean the 2000 presidential election?
A Lone Voice

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 01:46 pm
@parados,
Quote:

Not only did the report not list any groups. It didn't even discuss issues. It just used the term "left wing" Your argument is made up crap LV. The leftwing report doesn't list groups in its key findings and is even less specific than the rightwing report.

Um, Earth Liberation Front? (Page 3).

The Hactivist?

Internet Liberation Front?

(Both on page 6)

Animal Defense League, Earth First, Stop Huntingdon Aminal Cruelty, Crimethink, the Ruckus Society....

A few names, wouldn't you think?

Re nazis, skinheads: these are rightwing nutjob movements, and I was using them in the generic sense. Stormfront, for example, could be grouped in one of these. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

My point was no such groups were named, as they were (obviously) in the left report.

Why is that, do you suppose?

Profiling, perhaps? Painting with a broad brush?
DrewDad

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 01:50 pm
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:

Quote:

2002?

Do you mean the 2000 presidential election?

I actually meant: Conservatives 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and the first 1/2 of 2008.....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 02:20 pm
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:

End timers? Persecuting Christians?

No, not necessarily. But this is a good example of how some see the right.

I'm specifically speaking about the people that I know who sent me chain emails about this issue and who specifically said to me that this report targets Christians and says that anyone who opposes abortion or is for small government is an extremist. That isn't what this report says at all. Again, the footnote is categorizing extremists, not defining what it means to be one. Did you perchance ever do any work with set theory and logic? " Some extremists are against abortion" is not equivalent to "all who oppose abortion are extremists."

Quote:
As those on the right are doing now, after being incorrectly profiled by law enforcement.

There's no evidence that law enforcement is profiling conservatives.

Quote:
BTW, you didn't mention what you thought the PETA or Sierra Club response would be, if the DHS had issued a similar left wing report/footnote...

I quoted you where the left-wing report does in fact name animal rights activists. I don't know what PETA's reaction was but I"m sure you could find out just as easily as I can. In other words, it's not a hypothetical question.

As for issues that I care about: 1) the rule of law and 2) individual liberty and human rights. If there are groups who care about these same things but who use violence to further their goals I wouldn't associate with them nor would I identify and sympathize with them in the government's efforts to crack down on them. And that's what I don't get. Surely you and most conservatives must know that right wing extremists do exist. Why would you want to identify with them by taking offense at this report?
parados

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 03:14 pm
@A Lone Voice,
parados wrote:
Let's compare the key findings from each report LV.

None of those names you listed were in the key findings LV which is what you are complaining about in the RW report.

Of course, it could be that RW groups that oppose federalism tend to be localized. Why is that do you think? Oh.. they oppose federalism and want LOCAL control.

I suppose you would have complained if they named the Branch Davidians and Posse Comitatus.
A Lone Voice

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 12:33 am
@parados,
Quote:

None of those names you listed were in the key findings LV which is what you are complaining about in the RW report.

Of course, it could be that RW groups that oppose federalism tend to be localized. Why is that do you think? Oh.. they oppose federalism and want LOCAL control.

I suppose you would have complained if they named the Branch Davidians and Posse Comitatus.

But they were in the report; see anything similar in the right wing report?

I would have been pleased to see groups named in the right wing report. Then, liberals couldn't paint the right with a broad brush, as the DHS report allows.

BTW, what do make of Napolitano’s apology and blaming the release of the report on 'human error'? Looks like she is realizing the report was flawed...
A Lone Voice

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 01:03 am
@FreeDuck,
Quote:

I'm specifically speaking about the people that I know who sent me chain emails about this issue and who specifically said to me that this report targets Christians and says that anyone who opposes abortion or is for small government is an extremist. That isn't what this report says at all. Again, the footnote is categorizing extremists, not defining what it means to be one. Did you perchance ever do any work with set theory and logic? " Some extremists are against abortion" is not equivalent to "all who oppose abortion are extremists."

I never saw such a chain email, but then again, I really don't hang around much with religious people. But I can see how you draw such a conclusion by receiving such drivel.

Quote:

There's no evidence that law enforcement is profiling conservatives.

This is where we disagree with the intent of the DHS report.

It is meant to be distributed to law enforcement throughout the country, and not seen by the public. A report stating individuals opposed to a single issue may be extremists is beyond the pale.

I realize we're going around on this; I see this as similar to the FBI profiling anti-war marchers in the '60s because of the Weather Underground and similar groups; you don't.

Quote:

I quoted you where the left-wing report does in fact name animal rights activists. I don't know what PETA's reaction was but I"m sure you could find out just as easily as I can. In other words, it's not a hypothetical question.

It's a hypothetical question because it didn't happen. But if DHS had stated "It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as animal rights," in warning the county's law enforcement of extremists in their midst, I think we would have heard plenty.

Quote:

As for issues that I care about: 1) the rule of law and 2) individual liberty and human rights. If there are groups who care about these same things but who use violence to further their goals I wouldn't associate with them nor would I identify and sympathize with them in the government's efforts to crack down on them. And that's what I don't get. Surely you and most conservatives must know that right wing extremists do exist. Why would you want to identify with them by taking offense at this report?

Certainly they exist. And law enforcement should everything in their power to oppose such activities.

But my point is an individual who might be dedicated to opposing a 'single issue' is being lumped together with right wing extremists in the report. The left has certainly taken this view, ironically, based on the DHS report.

Gosh, look at your last statement: why would you believe I'm identifying with right wing extremists? Just because as a person who also cares about liberty, I'm concerned about federal law enforcement painting individuals with a broad brush?

Do those who march for the environment support tree spiking?

Again, if political pundits had spouted such nonsense, I wouldn't be too concerned. But just as civil libertarians are bothered by federal law enforcement taking action against groups on the left, those of us on the right are concerned about such a political report when it comes to individuals and their beliefs.
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 06:52 am
@A Lone Voice,
Whether the intent of the report is to encourage profiling (which I don't agree with) is irrelevant to your statement that conservatives have been politically profiled by the existence of the report alone. There is no evidence of that.

A Lone Voice wrote:

It's a hypothetical question because it didn't happen. But if DHS had stated "It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as animal rights," in warning the county's law enforcement of extremists in their midst, I think we would have heard plenty.

But they did specifically mention animal rights activists in the left-wing report. I quoted it.

Quote:

But my point is an individual who might be dedicated to opposing a 'single issue' is being lumped together with right wing extremists in the report. The left has certainly taken this view, ironically, based on the DHS report.

But I think it's you and others who take offense who are doing the lumping. The report is just categorizing extremists. Folks who are upset about this report have reversed the logic in order to take offense -- because some extremists may be dedicated to a single issue, that must mean the government thinks those who are dedicated to a single issue are extremists. It's illogical.

Quote:
Gosh, look at your last statement: why would you believe I'm identifying with right wing extremists? Just because as a person who also cares about liberty, I'm concerned about federal law enforcement painting individuals with a broad brush?

Do those who march for the environment support tree spiking?

I think you're choosing to include yourself in a report that warns about people who are nothing like you and who have nothing to do with you. I think you are choosing to identify with them. Identify does not equal support.

Quote:
Again, if political pundits had spouted such nonsense, I wouldn't be too concerned. But just as civil libertarians are bothered by federal law enforcement taking action against groups on the left, those of us on the right are concerned about such a political report when it comes to individuals and their beliefs.

But there has been no action. If agents start infiltrating peaceful political groups then I will be solidly in your corner. But you guys are flipping your lid over a stupid report that was not even requested by this administration, but the previous one. It smacks of paranoia.
parados

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 06:54 am
@A Lone Voice,
Gee, then I suppose an apology means Bush lied about Iraq's nuclear capabilities. An apology only means they are apologizing. It doesn't mean they think they were wrong.
Advocate

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 01:26 pm
@parados,
I believe that the Nazis tortured a lot. Now this seems to be a Republican thing.
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 11:06 pm
@parados,
Quote:

Gee, then I suppose an apology means Bush lied about Iraq's nuclear capabilities. An apology only means they are apologizing. It doesn't mean they think they were wrong.

So she apologized and didn't mean it? You're comparing the Bush and Obama admins then, just paying lip service to apologies given for political reasons?

I agree there quite a bit in common in both admins, with their blatant dishonesty with the American people; surprised you would point this out...
A Lone Voice

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 11:43 pm
@FreeDuck,
Quote:

But they did specifically mention animal rights activists in the left-wing report. I quoted it.

It didn't indicate an individual dedicated to a single issue is a potential extremist. It would have bothered me if it did.

Instead, the left wing report states, "It focuses on the more prominent leftwing groups within the animal rights, environmental, and anarchist extremist movements that promote or have conduct ed criminal or terrorist activities."

It goes on to name groups, and addresses left wing cyber attacks - particularly in the animal rights movement - by extremists.

Show me in this report where it labels an individual a potential extremist for "being dedicated to a single issue," as DHS did in the rightwing report?

Quote:

But I think it's you and others who take offense who are doing the lumping. The report is just categorizing extremists. Folks who are upset about this report have reversed the logic in order to take offense -- because some extremists may be dedicated to a single issue, that must mean the government thinks those who are dedicated to a single issue are extremists. It's illogical.

Then you would agree that any liberal who believes in animal rights is a potential extremist? Logically, this should be your conclusion, based on your view of the DHS reports. Don't forget about those who support the green movement; obviously, by your reckoning, DHS should be notifying local law enforcement about these potential extremists, also.

Quote:

I think you're choosing to include yourself in a report that warns about people who are nothing like you and who have nothing to do with you. I think you are choosing to identify with them. Identify does not equal support.

According to the report, "It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as______.

The thing is, fill in the blank. Either a liberal cause or conservative cause will do.

Do you feel comfortable with a federal law enforcement agency making such a statement? I don't, regardless if it is a cause from either side. I'm surprised you, professing individual and human rights, are ok with this.

Quote:

But there has been no action. If agents start infiltrating peaceful political groups then I will be solidly in your corner. But you guys are flipping your lid over a stupid report that was not even requested by this administration, but the previous one. It smacks of paranoia.

Where does infiltration start and end? Is having an informant in PETA, for example, infiltration? Video taping those marching against the Iraq War is OK?

What actions of federal law enforcement tend to disturb you?

Notifying local law enforcement that any individual who is dedicated to a single issue is a potential extremist seems to be ok in your view. Yet you talk about individual liberty?

Really?
A Lone Voice

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 11:56 pm
@parados,
Quote:

You are aware that the key findings in the LW report only spoke of cyber attacks?

Yet, no indivual groups were named in the key findings of the RW report, either. In fact, no groups were named. Surely they are out there, and yet DHS had no problem linking unnamed groups with "individuals that are dedicated to a single issue."
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 01:15 am
@A Lone Voice,
An apology doesn't mean anyone admits they were wrong.

Lot's of people say they are sorry, often for things they had no control over. Does it mean they are lying if they don't think they did something wrong?

The Obama administration didn't create the RW report. It was commissioned by the Bush administration. The Obama administration apologized for it. It seems the Bush administration should have been the one that apologized.

Ultimately, some people took the report the wrong way. They were apologized to. Why? Because it is a political expedient thing to do. You don't tell voters they are being stupid and over reacting.