How much to publishers filter academic literature?

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 03:27 pm
My friend doing a degree in geology mentioned to me the other day that sometimes various articles get filtered by the publishers because they don't sit with current opinion. For instance she mentioned articles against Darwin being suppressed as they don't sit in the public sphere. (I don't know if that is the case or not).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,083 • Replies: 2
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 05:24 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
maybe in high school publishing. Academic Presses are too competitive among all the University"s (worldwide) that use the texts, They would be laughed to scorn in professional meetings and the greater market (not controlled by religious worldviews) would dominate the market. A book that produces false evidence or facts wouldnt sell or get recommended. When I get all the texts to be considered in my field of geology, I have several dozen to choose from and Im the final arbiter of what goes on in my classes.

The new e-readers allow many texts to be modified within months of new findings. The "open ended" technical articles within a course syllabus is (at least in university and especially in grad departments) a way that current data is available. Theres not much out there in real colleges that is getting smothered by the religious critics. They are trying to overwhelm the secondary education market because(in geology) most schools quit teaching an earth science program in junior high. SO jr-high geo is an easy target for the Creationist activists.
farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 06:33 am
@farmerman,
anybody home?
0 Replies