Obtain/attain/achieve/reach...?????

51Days

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 12:40 pm
Hello dear forum community,

I was just wondering whether there are limited possibilites of interchanging the following verbs or not. Maybe you'd like to contribute to my listing of words which mean nearly the same as 'to get' in the sense of 'reaching' by amending your thoughts/comments or whatever. Thanks in advance for your lively comments.... Very Happy Please refer to my sample sentence.

"The eager people

a) obtain
b) achieve
c) reach
d) acquire
e) attain
f) derive (from??)
g) get at/through to
h) chalk up
i) accomplish
j) gain
k) reap

their goals by watching others attentively, learning from their mistakes and prevailing their opinions."

Are the verbs interchangeable in this context or not. If not - why?

Thanks for helping me to differ more subtly different words.

Kind regards,
Rainer
aka
51Days

PS: Hope the list isn't too long......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,322 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Wy

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 04:43 pm
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 05:35 pm
Hi 51, Glad to see you again. I agree with everything that Wy said. As for the prevailing opinions, do you mean that they are able to get their opinions to prevail? Not necessarily by force but by persuasion?
0 Replies

51Days

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 03:54 am
Hi again :wink: ,

well, originally I meant that they didn't force but made the others "accept their opinions", i.e. "they persuaded them". So "to prevail" was chosen incorrectly by me in this connection, I must confess. Embarrassed

@Wy: You understood me right, I really intended to ask the question in which cases the verbs given in my list might be used with a "goal". Thanks for asking me back what I meant and correcting, I wasn't quite satisfied with my sample sentence anyway. Now I know, that "prevailing" can't be used properly in this sense as I was using it.

@Roberta: As you can read above, I really mant "prevail opinions" in the sense of "persuasion".

Thanks so far....

If you choose the German-English online dictionary "www.leo.org" (an excellent one, btw) and enter the German words "erlangen" and/or "erreichen" you will get a long list of English words as a result (be free to check it out), and somewhere I read "to obtain a goal" as a result. Quite confusing, so I just felt that I had to ask you.

Kind regards,
Rainer
aka
51Days
0 Replies

51Days

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 03:57 am
Hi again :wink: ,

well, originally I meant that they didn't force but made the others "accept their opinions", i.e. "they persuaded them". So "to prevail" was chosen incorrectly by me in this connection, I must confess. Embarrassed

@Wy: You understood me right, I really intended to ask the question in which cases the verbs given in my list might be used with a "goal". Thanks for asking me back what I meant and correcting, I wasn't quite satisfied with my sample sentence anyway. Now I know, that "prevailing" can't be used properly in this sense as I was using it.

@Roberta: As you can read above, I really mant "prevail opinions" in the sense of "persuasion".

Thanks so far....

If you choose the German-English online dictionary "www.leo.org" (an excellent one, btw) and enter the German words "erlangen" and/or "erreichen" you will get a long list of English words as a result (be free to check it out), and somewhere I read "to attain a goal" as a result. Quite confusing, so I just felt that I had to ask you and was wondering if "obtain" or others would match with "reaching a goal".

Kind regards,
Rainer
aka
51Days
0 Replies

51Days

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 04:02 am
Sorry,

somehow the forum software seems to have a "bug". I just wanted to "edit" my first reply, and after I had finished editing and pressed the "submit" button, there were two entries Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Well, my SECOND REPLY is the correct one, as to my results in Leo's regarding the entry "to attain a goal", not "to obtain".

Grmbl... Confused
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 01:35 pm
Hiya 51, Glad to help. Stop by as often you you need--or like.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 04:50 pm
Good! So... "... and sticking by their opinions until those opinions were prevalent." No, there's gotta be a better sentence than that. "... and persuading others to join in their opinions."

Well, whatever. It was a good question!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 11:41 pm
their goals by watching others attentively, learning from their mistakes and prevailing their opinions."

And convincing other to adopt their views.

How's that? Not great. But we're getting there.
0 Replies