asking my best friend out

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 07:51 pm
how should i ask my best friend out? we have known each other since i was like born. she is older than me but i love her more than a friend.should i be direct with her or not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,893 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 07:43 am
@lucas2118,
Sure, but be mentally prepared for an "I want us to just be friends" speech, which may or may not happen.

Might want to make it somewhat low-key and not fraught with meaning, but still clearly a date. As in, I dunno, "Susan (or whatever her name is), I'd like to take you to dinner this Friday night. Pick you up at seven?"

That's obviously a date but not one of those "Susan, I've been dreaming of you for years and feel I am in love with you" lines. She'll definitely know it's a date -- or at least she should -- but you've given her an out in case she's not in the same emotional place that you are.
dagmaraka

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 07:49 am
@jespah,
I'd second that. It can be a scary thing for her if she doesn't expect it. Happened twice to me and it almost felt like treason on the part of my friends.... of course that makes no sense rationally, but that's what it felt like. Tread lightly, make it clear but not overburdening..... like jes said....dinner together, but don't dramatize it.... play it light and try to sense her reaction to the possibility of a relationship.

good luck!
vikorr

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:19 pm
@dagmaraka,
I've had female friends who've said how they felt betrayed by a change in feelings of one of their long term friends. I distinctly remember at least 2 of them ending the friendship, because "It just changes everything" and, and "I don't want to feel obligated to him"....there were other reasons, but the last time I heard of such a thing was probably a decade ago, so I don't recall all the details.

...as dag said, such a reaction makes no logical sense to me.

...but by the same token, not letting her know makes no sense to me either (that doesn't mean you have to tell her straight out...there are other ways to let her know)
0 Replies

Spike7796

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 07:39 pm
@lucas2118,
Hey man, I have the same problem, I have dated my best fiend twice, and she is the most wonderful person to me, but I don't know if I should tell her I still love her. However, you need to ask yourself: Am I willing to lose or damage my relationship with " "? I'm stuck at this point, but I'm leaning towards slowly asking her. Just hang out with her, and flirt a bit, if she likes you, she'll go for it. However, sometimes she might misinterpret you actions, or be offended, but be ready for that. Also be ready for the "I just want to be friends" chat, but when it comes down to it, it's all about risks. Life is full of them, sometimes things just work out, but other times you just need to take that plunge...
0 Replies

chrissyf

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 05:59 pm
im in the exact same situation this is how you should go about it
talk to one of her close friends and tell her how you feel about your crush
ask her what your crushes feelings are towards you and whether shes interested or not
if she is go for it
if shes not dont do anything
well either way you have a girlfriend
or still a very good friend without upsetting anyone
0 Replies

Lif3

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 02:22 am
@lucas2118,
get ready for a i just want to be friends reply. the more friends you are with someone, the less likely theres anything more...
0 Replies