Damnit! I can't find another job!

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 02:45 am
I got fired from Wal-Mart in January and applied everywhere since then. None of them ever got back to me. I listed Wally World on my job apps because of the gap in my cv if I don't. What else can I put under "reason for leaving" besides fired? Can't someone give me a chance?

Oh wait. I bet somehow, prospective employers knew exactly what happened there? How else would I explain not being able to even get an interview?

roger

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 02:49 am
@dirrtydozen22,
Were you really there long enough that you feel you have to explain the gap in employment.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 02:51 am
@roger,
I was there for half a year.
roger

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 02:59 am
@dirrtydozen22,
Well, I don't know. . . . You've got to come up with something, even if it's the very bottom of the barrel. Sort of show them the ability to hold a job, even if the experience isn't particularly relavant.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 12:46 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Why don't you list Wal-Mart as "temporary employment" for the term you were with them? You could say that the months working at this job was temporary - a stop-gap while you looked for something else. It is always better to be employed for a short period to show that you are willing to work part-time, temporary or seasonal jobs until you can find a full-time permanent position. I would think that anyone who is willing to work is better than one who is not. If I found myself without a job and could not get another in my field/industry/expertise or pay range well then I am willing to scrub toilets in the meantime to earn a few shillings and get by, while I am looking for something better.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 01:20 pm
dd - you just don't get it, do you?

No matter what you put down, whoever you are applying with is going to do a background check.

In that background check, Walmart is going to show up as a former employer.

Walmarts records are going to show ineligible for rehire, due to violence in the workplace.

That is why you don't have a snowballs chance in hell at getting a job with any large retailer.

Go to a temp agency and do grunt work for them for a year, until you can get your life back in control.

BTW, you worked at walmart 6 months, how long did you work at the employer previous to that? 6 months?

It doesn't take a lot of genius on the hiring managers part to figure out that you will only stay there for 6 months also.

Employers spend a lot of money training people, even if it's a retailer like walmart. Why would someone want to hire you knowing they won't recoup that?

Oh yeah, because "someone should give you a chance"

Welcome to the real world. Maybe you should have thought about that when you were slamming your head into a pole, and causing a co-worker to fall by purposefully making the floor around her slippery with catsup. You are a lawsuit waiting to happen missy, and no one is going to take a chance with that.

Go to a temp agency, take assignments like taking inventory, stocking shelves, doing move out apartment cleanup, anything to keep you away from other people.

Why is that so hard for you to understand?
Green Witch

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 01:44 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Drop it from your resume. You don't want that experience to represent your work ethic anyway. I don't think anyone is going to grill you about a 6 month gap.
In the meantime, think about starting a house cleaning service. In this economy few places are hiring and the ones that are can cherry pick from the work force.
chai2

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 01:51 pm
@Green Witch,
GW, if she's applying at a large company, that job will show up, regardless if she puts it down or not.

Then, she will have the extra responsibility of explaining why she didn't put that job down.

However, that's a moot point, because she won't get that far in the process.

dd has been beating this dead horse for months now. She listens to no one, and just complains about no one giving her a chance.
Sglass

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 01:59 pm
DD maybe you should change your name and start over again. After anger management classes of course. All an employer wants from you is for you to show up for work on time, be back from lunch and breaks on time and for you to put in a days work for a days pay. leave your personal issues at home.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 02:02 pm
@chai2,
I'm not so sure it will pop up on a background check. Most places call a few references and run your social security and driver's license number. They are mostly concerned about DUIs, sex offenders and sundry felonies. Most companies don't even check with the college you claim to have graduated from with honors. Unless Walmart made a police report it's probably only in their corporate database. Many employees have temper tantrums and get the boot. We would have a serious work force shortage if these people never got hired again. Most do what I'm suggesting- they lie.
chai2

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 02:12 pm
@Green Witch,
I think that's most small places. A lot of big corporations outsource with a company that does background checks, and they will catch that.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 02:32 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
dirrtydozen22 wrote:

I got fired from Wal-Mart in January and applied everywhere since then. None of them ever got back to me.

This isn't something specific to you. There are many of us out there with decades of experience and/or college degrees sending hundreds of resumes to prospective employers.

These days it is extremely rare to have a recipient acknowlege receipt of the resume and job applications only receive the usual boiler plate acknowlegement. If you happen to be fortunate enough to be called for additional info or to schedule an interview, it is just as rare to receive any notification when the position is filled and you haven't been selected.

From what I've read about the job environment these days, it takes about 200 resumes to generate one interview and about 8 months of that to secure a job from one of those interviews and it is usually not at the same level of pay or in the same field.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 02:43 pm
@chai2,
Depends. My current employer did a background check on me using a company that does background checks, and they couldn't find a record of me at my previous two jobs (both extremely large corporations where I had worked for 4 and 5 years respectively). With the changes in HR departments, pieces of those companies being acquired/sold/moved, etc., the HR people could not locate my employment file in one company and the other company had outsourced their HR department to India and they couldn't find anyones records. Good job I had kept my pay-stubbs and could provide proof I had worked at both places. While it is incredible the amount of information that can be available on a person from a background check, they are not always complete or totally accurate. If I were going to omit something or try to tone down something that made me look bad, I would tell enough so that it does not appear I was trying to hide anything and be vague enough on my reasons for leaving or being let go that I couldn't be accused of downright lying. There are always ways of putting lipstick on a pig!
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 02:50 pm
@chai2,
You said in one of your posts that I'm ineligible for rehire. Well, mgt said they listed me as eligible and that I could apply in 90 days (which has sense passed.) Also, I never did spill ketchup on a coworker. It was a friend of a friend, as mentioned before.

Just thought I make some corrections. Oh and BTW, I'm putting in an app for Taco Bell. If large retailers won't hire me, maybe fast food will?

For my previous employer beofr eWal-Mart, I've been there a year before the store closed.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 02:54 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Have you applied back at that Walmart where the trouble started?
dirrtydozen22

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 02:56 pm
@Green Witch,
No I haven't. HR has my record and any hiring passes through them. Even if I apply at a different Wal-Mart, they would request my record from the one I worked at and they'd receive it. Maybe if I stay at another place for a few years, then I'd have a chance.
chai2

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 03:17 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
dirrtydozen22 wrote:

You said in one of your posts that I'm ineligible for rehire. Well, mgt said they listed me as eligible and that I could apply in 90 days (which has sense passed.) Also, I never did spill ketchup on a coworker. It was a friend of a friend, as mentioned before.

Just thought I make some corrections. Oh and BTW, I'm putting in an app for Taco Bell. If large retailers won't hire me, maybe fast food will?

For my previous employer beofr eWal-Mart, I've been there a year before the store closed.

fast food might work. just keep your nose clean. go to work, do your job, go home. be friendly and polite but keep uninvolved with co-workers and their personal lives.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 03:30 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
I know if you apply at any Walmart they will see your history, but you said they approved you to reapply. I think you should reapply and prepare a written statement saying you know your actions were inappropriate and you are sorry. Write that you would like another chance to prove you can do the job correctly and perform like a grown-up. Offer to apologize in person to anyone involved in the firing incident. Tell them you have been working hard to change your temper.

This incident is obviously haunting you and you might be able to get it right if someone at WM is willing to give you a second chance. If you do get a second chance make sure you don't F' it up.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 04:34 pm
@Green Witch,
Ture, I guess. I mean, I did have some good qualities while I was there, including productivity and perfect attendance. Yeah, I think I'll try, thanx.
0 Replies