A question for the crowd.

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 09:19 am
Most of the time I take the subway everywhere, even to Greenpoint for an art party. The rest of the time I take one of my 11,332 cars all painted a very attractive yellow. I just hold out my hand and one stops for me and takes me wherever I want to go. Then I give the driver some paper and he gives me a little slip that tells me what time it was when I got home last night. (what! When!!)

Also anytime I want I can borrow a car from my friend Avis. Or my Uncle Hertzie. Most of time I borrow Ford Explorers or Tauruses, but sometime they make me take a Lincoln Town Car, which is the car I like to go to the airport in, the Lincoln Town Car, but if we are going to the airport we don't borrow from Avis or Hertzie, we call the service guy who only speaks Spanish. We leap over the language barrier ( No, esta dia esta cinco de Octobero, addresso numero treinta quatro )and Voila! ( or whatever the Spanish is for Voila!) we stand in front of the building and Voila Rolling Eyes a Lincoln Town Car pulls up to take us to Jay Eff Kay, airlino Delta por favor.
Then we sit back and relax and try to remember if we locked the top lock because if we did the cat-sitter can't get in..and then we will have to FedEX a key.... and well, never mind.

Up here in the Heights of Washington, Washington Heights, livery cabs cruise the streets. They are all Lincoln Town Cars but they have neither taxi signs on the roof nor any meter inside. They honk their horns to tell you they are for hire. (When I first got here I thought there were an awful lot of gay men driving Lincoln Town Cars trying to pick up this paunchy white guy, but I've learned.) You get in, tell the driver where you want to go, and when you get there the both of you figure out what the fare ought to be. "Quando Mucho?" "12 dollar" "12 dollar con tip, senor" "ok"..... and they will come back for you if you are off in wilds of Brooklyn's Greenpoint. You just call the driver on his cell and minutes later there he is. (and he gets a big tip for coming back to Greenpoint, believe you me.) Sure beats taking the god awful G train to the L to the A and taking an hour and a half at two in the morning.

Joe
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 09:41 am
A '96 Nissan Sentra with 100,000+ used, paid for it outright, cash. I used to have a '76 Jeep that I sold to my brother- in-law years ago. It is still running, The worst mistake I ever made.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 10:13 am
[quote
you know the acronym for "Ford"??....

Fix Or Repair Daily

:-)[/quote]

Found On Road Dead.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 10:22 am
cjhsa wrote:
Remember Honda's old slogan "We make it simple"? Well, not only do they have relatively few options, they have few key combinations as well. A friend related a story where someone had come to visit them and borrowed their car for the day. The visitor went to the parking garage and found the first silver Honda whatever and took it for the day. Only later did they realize it was the wrong car. The person drove it all over town.

Same lock system? I used to have a ford festiva (oy). The window crank broke and I couldn't ever roll down the window. So, I went to the junkyard and found a festiva with working door, stuck the key in and it turned. Had a new door with a working window. I'd'a thunk that Honda's would be a step up from that.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 02:58 pm
1985 Ford Crown Victoria with new transmission...rather have front wheel drive for the winter snow.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 03:41 pm
Morris Garage model B
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 06:27 pm
perhaps the logic is that you, already having an almost identical car, will not be minded to heist the one you just got into?

Unless you have just totalled its twin....
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 07:38 pm
What Cars Have You Owned?
[ Go to page: 1, 2, 3 ]
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 07:47 pm
But on this subject...I recently bought a '97 Chevrolet Vitara w/ 140,000 kilometros. It makes me feel young again because I haven't driven a car with a carburator and manual choke since high school. Mechanical (not hydraulic) clutch too. To my great surprise I recently saw the exact same model as a 2004 in a (Colombian) Chevrolet showroom.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 08:09 pm
1992 plymouth voyager, 1992 Dodge caravan, 200 ford e350 extended van......I'm not car peson and will drive them until they are ruined as far as I'm concerned but squinney is starting to complain, and the two cubs complain everytime I pick 'em up somewhere, so we will probably buy something new this year, probably a chrysler town and country.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 08:24 pm
I have to look back and see if I have posted already. I think I have had thirteen cars...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 08:54 pm
ossobuco wrote:
'91 Volvo station wagon, white, turbo, 125,000 miles, dognuzzled windows, column ajar on right side after seat belt yanked in passionate anger at wolves in rabid feral corgi's momentary lapse of behavior; purchased used before I moved from LA (lah...), still love it. I did have problems with its computer routines a couple of years ago; these led to various exciting breakdowns at major intersections in San Francisco and Los Angeles which I found unnecessarily character-building. With the car brain now fixed, I center my displeasure on the haphazard onagainoffagain closure of the sunroof.

Well, that is the one I have now. Before that,

*brand new 1968 Volkswagen convertible, painted with porche brown paint at my request, scraped against my parent's house corner a mere month later, repainted by Earl Sheib at, I think, $19.95.

*new Audi sedan. What was I thinking. Something went badly wrong when I was driving from LA to San Diego and it had to be towed to the dealer 60 miles away. Got rid of it as fast as possible, of course at a loss, which I was naive about.

*new Fiat spyder coupe. Loved it. But, what was I thinking? Various things went wrong routinely for a lot of money. At three years of age, when it would have begun to make sense to keep it, I bought

*a red Fiat spyder convertible for a pittance. Which of course turned out to have difficulties, though it was fun to drive Topanga Canyon when it ran and had enough transmission fluid.

*a new Chevy van, to carry paintings, which I had just started doing and started big, as in 4 x 5 foot ones. Gads, I hated that van. First of all, I couldn't see around it except for those mirrors, how weird was that? I sold it to the guy downstairs, I always forget his name, but he took over the payments. He was the guy who designed/built the Vector. Vroooommmm.

*Volkswagen bus, forget the year, but older. I got it painted, Earl Sheib again, a sparkly dark blue. (oooooh, ick!) This meant that when I was driving with my to-be husband in the VDub in a nice neighborhood in Brentwood, pointing out the sycamore trees there, we were stopped and searched re a neighborhood burglary. At the time I owned my parent's house in a nearby neighborhood, was remodelling it. I was affronted.

*a Triumph Spitfire, bought from a fellow I worked with, it was his daughter's. I never really owned it, I picked it up, took it home and drove it right back. Trouble, I was beginning to recognize trouble.

*Honda Civic, new. Wonderful car, but tended to spin out in rain. When I sold it I got the price I paid for it. Getting smarter, but not quite because then

*MGB GT, convertible, white. That was the car that when I was driving down Admiralty Way in Marina del Rey at 50 the hood sprang up and hit the windshield and bent over towards me. I slowed, pulled over, peeked past the hood from the passenger side and seeing no one and no cars, slowing edged around the corner to stop, when... yes, the policeman appeared. He helped me bend the hood back and tie it down and followed me home.
No ticket.

*Got a new Toyota Celica, '79, kept it for years and years, I liked its looks and how it felt and how it drove, wonderful car. Probably had it 13 years.

*A friend was selling a '84 volvo sedan. I bought it for $1600. That was in the early '90's. About a year after I had it I was hit in an intersection by someone running the red very late. Luckily I was only spun around in what would be a totalled car, and there were two witnesses on different sides of the intersection that stayed and told the police the guy had run the red very late. But, the car being so old, I had the merest insurance on it, so then

*I drove my husband's father's old Chevy Citation. (His father had died.)
Boy did that car depress me. Turning radius of a city block, among other failings.

*Divorce and move. Upon house sale, I bought an eight year old Volvo station wagon, which I still have. Basically love it, is a small tank, has great visibility.

Yep, I was right, thirteen.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:03 am
Wow Ossobuco that was a great read!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:11 am
When the last cub departs the cave, I am getting a candy apple red 57 Shag convertible with a 283 and a 1000 watt stereo, put 18" subwoofers in the trunk, and drive around listening to the ultimate cruisin' Myrtle Beach band, David Lee Roth era Van Halen. Could anything be better than cruisin' with the top down listening to "Panama" or "Hot For Teacher"
at ear splitting volumes?

That's MY plan anyway.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:00 am
Yes, there could be something better. Crusin' with the top down listening to Kriss Kross at ear splittng volumes.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:18 am
with your shirt on backwards....
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 03:48 pm
Part of the cars I owned.

1931 Plymouth business coupe. Paid $35.00

1952 Willys Aero

1957 DKW (Auto Union Insignia identical to Audi
circles -- 0000) The car was a 3 cyclinder,
front wheel drive. Total of seven moving
parts in engine: crankshaft, three rods, three
pistons. Three sets of points, three coils.
No water pump. No oil pump. No valves.

1963 DKW

1970 Kharman Ghia convertible.

1965 356sc Porsche. The ultimate machine.
bought used with 80k miles. Mint condition.
Paid $2,500. Pressed for cash, moving back to
the midwest. Sold for what I had in it $2,800.
(Car now worth about 30G's -- boo hoo)

1996 Passat turbo diesel. 253,000 miles. Parked
outdoors this week. Temperature 2 above 0.
Started right up. Virtually no cranking. That
reassuring diesel starting sound --
ahrahrahRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

1995 VW Cabriolet convertible. 90,000 miles.
White on white, A real fun gem of a car.

2004 Chrysler Pacifica. All Wheel drive.
Straightens severe curves. Virtually no body
lean. +++ Suspension. Excellent handlng.
Incredible seating/cargo flexibility
Quietest car I've ever been in.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 05:26 pm
1993 Jeep Cherokee. Gonna buy a new car this year. Kinda like that new Pathfinder.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 07:59 pm
Billy, I see you're new here! kidding of course. I have seen you on a2k, haven't I? I have always liked your posts but don't see you often.

I have managed to forget the name of one of my favorite people on abuzz, a woman who started, I think, one or more car threads... and I can barely slog around abuzz now to figure out old friend's screen names.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 08:00 pm
And by the way, did not not ever have a Falcon?
0 Replies