Iraqi shoe-thrower's jail sentence cut

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 10:43 am
Iraqi shoe-thrower's jail sentence reduced by a third

Quote:
Iraq's federal appeals court has reduced the sentence for the Iraqi journalist who threw his shoes at then-President Bush at a news conference in December, his lawyer told CNN on Tuesday.

Muntadhar al-Zaidi will serve one year in jail instead of three, the attorney said. Bush was able to duck, and was unhurt in the incident.

Iraq's Central Criminal Court sentenced al-Zaidi to three years in March after he was found guilty of assaulting a foreign head of state on an official visit to Iraq. It was Bush's last visit to Baghdad before leaving office in January.

Al-Zaidi's lawyer, Dhiaa al-Saadi, said the appeals court announced its decision to reduce the sentence Monday, after lawyers appealed the criminal court ruling.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,905 • Replies: 12
No top replies

old europe

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 10:48 am
@Robert Gentel,

English is not my first language, but if he had to serve three years and now has to serve one, shouldn't the headline be "Iraqi shoe-thrower's jail sentence reduced by two thirds" or, alternatively, "Iraqi shoe-thrower's jail sentence reduced to a third"???
roger

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 11:43 am
@old europe,
Yes.

I've also seen advertising for 100% discount on merchandise. Turns out, they didn't mean it.

What is your first language, if I may ask?
JTT

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 11:01 pm
@roger,
Odd, a man who hurts no one gets this time in jail, but the man he hurled the shoe at is responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands, the injuries of hundreds of thousands, the destruction of untold amounts of personal property and he gets a pension and speaking engagements.

The latter is perhaps the oddest of all. What idiot would want to listen to a man speak who can barely put a cogent thought together.
snood

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 03:53 am
The idiots who voted for him - twice.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 01:15 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Odd, a man who hurts no one gets this time in jail, but the man he hurled the shoe at is responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands, the injuries of hundreds of thousands, the destruction of untold amounts of personal property and he gets a pension and speaking engagements.

The latter is perhaps the oddest of all. What idiot would want to listen to a man speak who can barely put a cogent thought together.

What a ludicrous comment. (1) Throwing a solid object at someone, even if the subject dodges, is assault, and people routinely get jail time for assault. (2) Numerous presidents have started wars which resulted in casualties, and none of them has ever been found guilty of a crime for it. (3) If there is no penalty for throwing objects at Mr. Bush, then as a corollary, there can be no penalty for throwing objects at Mr. Obama or any politician you support.
JTT

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 01:21 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Snood wrote: The idiots who voted for him - twice.

How many times did you vote for him, Brandon?

Quote:
Numerous presidents have started wars which resulted in casualties, and none of them has ever been found guilty of a crime for it.

Thanks for noting that, Brandon. As numerous commentators have noted, every president since WWII has committed war crimes. Suggesting that they haven't been found guilty is akin to noting that many organized crime figures have never been found guilty of any crimes.

Why do I not find it surprising that you'd like to attend one of his "talks"?
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 01:59 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Snood wrote: The idiots who voted for him - twice.

How many times did you vote for him, Brandon?

Quote:
Numerous presidents have started wars which resulted in casualties, and none of them has ever been found guilty of a crime for it.

Thanks for noting that, Brandon. As numerous commentators have noted, every president since WWII has committed war crimes. Suggesting that they haven't been found guilty is akin to noting that many organized crime figures have never been found guilty of any crimes.

Why do I not find it surprising that you'd like to attend one of his "talks"?

Your only relevant comment here is the one regarding war crimes. Your original post made no mention of war crimes, but only of the number of casualties. As I said, the mere fact that people die in a war has never made the President who initiated the war legally guilty of anything.

As to your new subject of war crimes, since you declare that Mr. Bush is guilty of war crimes, I now require that you give me an example and specify exactly what law the "crime" violated.
JTT

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 04:22 pm
@Brandon9000,
You'd better have a rest, laddie. After those 9000 brain cells are gone, you've got nothing left.
dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 04:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Sounds damn sensible to me.

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 09:09 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

You'd better have a rest, laddie. After those 9000 brain cells are gone, you've got nothing left.

In other words you are throwing around wild accusations none of which you can back up.
JTT

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 09:42 pm
@Brandon9000,
So I lose, right? And you've posted another glorious victory. Rolling Eyes
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 01:44 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

So I lose, right? And you've posted another glorious victory. Rolling Eyes

Well, you made claims, all of which I demonstrated were wrong, and being asked to back up what you claimed with a relevant defense, you cannot. What would you call it?
0 Replies