One morning in Mexico....

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 09:01 am
There I was, walking down the street in a Mexican village with not a dollar, or peso in my pocket(however had my wallet and cell phone). It was roughly 7:30am, had no idea where I was, and was honestly pretty scared. I knew I stuck out like a sore thumb. Probably have never been more "aware" of what was around me while walking. Pass a small house with the front yard mostly covered with trees and bush, and two dogs loudly bark at me....great....draw attention to the white guy in the bright shirt.

There's a "park" across the street, which has a couple of soccer goal posts, but no grass, just dirt. A beat up van sitting on the side of the road. A lot of small houses crowded close together on the bottom of the hill. Definitely not the Mexico you see in the Cabo brochures.

Flower just kicked me out of her house. The previous night, I met Flower at a club downtown. Being a company trip, and everyone I work with being much older than me and mostly married, this was my second night in a row going out alone.

From the small amount of conversation we could have(me no hablo espanol and her no hablo english), and what her English speaking friend told me, they were out celebrating Flower's birthday. She was giving me some SLIGHT signs of interest(shoving her tongue down my throat). At the end of the night, we hop in a cab...I tried getting her back to my hotel, but she wanted no part of it.

Get to her house, and she starts "shushing" me...ok it's obvious other people live there in the house. Cousins? Parents? Kids? Who cares. I'm drunk in a random Mexican village, nothing bad can come of that.

After, eh, playing chess for a while, it's early in the morning and all of a sudden something startles her. She jumps up, and pushes me into the bathroom that's connected to the small bedroom we're in...again shushing me.

I'm peeking out a little, and see her hand inside the room, and the rest of her is on the other side of the bedroom door, and she's whispering to someone. Now I'm starting to get myself ready for whatever is going to happen...wondering if I'm going to have to fight some male figure to get out of the house. Luckily nobody else comes back in the room but her.

She's still very nervous, and starts rushing me out of the house. I'm doing my best to ask her where I can find a bus or taxi, and she points "right" out of her house.

Bye Flower.

Walking down the street for a while, I stop a small bus, but the driver doesn't understand me and now it's obvious it's not a main city bus that's going to the Hilton.

Come across a street corner with a guy about my age standing there. Greet him in Spanish, and he greets me back in English. Tells me he just moved there from Cancun....he kind of laughs at me when I tell why I'm there at 7:30 am, and finally flags a taxi down for me. Driver takes me to an ATM, then I breath a sigh of relief for the 30 minute ride back to the hotel.

I had to call a friend back home to tell him what just happened....I'm sure I put myself in a very safe and normal situation during a Mexican vacation.

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 09:14 am
Sounds normal to me.
littlek

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 09:14 am
Was this recently?
martybarker

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 09:18 am
@Slappy Doo Hoo,
Slappy, do we need to send you a GPS device? Glad to hear your OK and didn't have to fight some big, angry Mexican guy.
Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 10:06 am
@littlek,
Si. Last week/weekend.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 10:08 am
@Ticomaya,
Yea it was Cabo and not Juarez, after all. Maybe I should try that there...
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 10:14 am
@Slappy Doo Hoo,
Oy, Cabo is a party town for Americans. You should have stayed at the bar
with your fellow country(wo)man, and probably would have had more luck
the get what you wanted in the first place.
dagmaraka

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 10:18 am
Ah, romance. How nice.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 02:21 pm
@CalamityJane,
Huh? More luck to what??? Whatcha' missing, CJ?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 02:34 pm
@Slappy Doo Hoo,
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

There I was, walking down the street in a Mexican village with not a dollar, or peso in my pocket(however had my wallet and cell phone).

so what happened to all your money?

Being a company trip, and everyone I work with being much older than me and mostly married, this was my second night in a row going out alone.

How old are you anyway?

I know you mean this as a funny and interesting story of adventure in a forgien land, but seriously, aren't you just a little old for this "high school boy in Tiajuana" bit?

I know, I'm a bitch and a killjoy. But c'mon, AIDS, getting robbed at knife or gunpoint? Getting murdered? Picking up a complete stranger? Being so drunk none of these things occured or seemed serious to you?

Sorry I'm not playing along, but I find this story really sad, very foolish of you, and boring.

Seriously slappy, grow up already.

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 02:54 pm
@chai2,
huh? did slappy get murdered? what a shame, he was so young.
chai2

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 06:04 pm
@dagmaraka,
Actually, not so young.

Old enough to know better, and too old to keep playing the party hardy, never mind the consequences frat boy games.

Unless you're in some American-friendly tourist place in Mexico, you're fucked.
jespah

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 06:06 pm
@martybarker,
martybarker wrote:
Slappy, do we need to send you a GPS device? Glad to hear your OK and didn't have to fight some big, angry Mexican guy.

What about microchipping? It works with pets.

Seriously, glad you're okay, Slap.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 06:08 pm
@chai2,
I'll pipe up and say that when I was Slappy's age I had a lot of fun in Mexico that you'd question the same way, Chai, and I'm not a bit sorry about it. Also, I like that he got out of Touristville.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 06:30 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Actually, not so young.

Old enough to know better, and too old to keep playing the party hardy, never mind the consequences frat boy games.

Unless you're in some American-friendly tourist place in Mexico, you're fucked.

difference of opinion. I never stay in touristy places, quite the opposite. Never had the feeling that I'm 'fucked' just because of that.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 07:38 pm
@dagmaraka,
Me neither, dagmar, but in Mexico it could cost you your life.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 07:42 pm
@CalamityJane,
your ******* crazy for being in mexico period.

id only go there with some fully automatic weapons. mainly ak 47s and mp5's. and 2 other people with the same armament with me at all times.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 07:50 pm
@OGIONIK,
I'm aware there are drug lord wars going on.

But, y'know, most Mexican people aren't evil. I don't remember being afraid there, quite the contrary. And no, I wasn't just in tourist areas, though maybe not the most trouble stricken either.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 07:54 pm
@ossobuco,
i think i just have too many friends in the drug trade >.<
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 07:54 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, when did you last go to Mexico?
In the past 5 years it changed considerably, and I was shocked to see places that were perfectly picturesque and nice to visit, turn into crime riddled dirt holes.
I used to go to Mexico all the time, I loved it there!