What are some good online coupons?

Sat 4 Apr, 2009 05:40 am
I mean ones that actually works and other than couponsurfer.com lol. I'll prolly need some of those for groceries and clothes.

Green Witch

Sat 4 Apr, 2009 05:18 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Most coupon sites suck unless you consume a lot of junk food and soda. They usually offer things like a dollar off lice shampoo or 50 cents off of a Swanson's frozen crap dinner. The best thing to do is go to the sites of companies whose products you like and would buy even without a coupon. I check sites for Muir Glen, Earth Bound and Kashi Organics on occasion to see what they are offering. Kashi was giving away free dinners recently.

The best way to save money is not to buy processed food, shop the weekly specials and go to farmer's markets. Plan meals in advance and make out a grocery list based on those meals and what you like to keep in your pantry. Shop the outside aisles of the market where they keep the fresh food and only go down other aisles if you specifically need something. Never go into a grocery store hungry.

I used to check out Coupon Mom dot com ( a highly rated site) and was always disappointed by the selection. One day I estimated the cost of all the food offered that I would never buy no matter how big the coupon and I discovered I save over $165 dollars just by not buying the products they were pushing with coupons. It's not a bargain if you would normally do without it or if there is a healthier alternative.

The exception can be chain store pharmacies that offer their own coupons on brand name cosmetics and toiletries- if you don't want to use generics. But they are only a bargain if you don't fall into the trap of picking up all kinds of impulse odds and ends when you go in to use the coupons. I have a specific hair coloring I like and often get coupons for it, but I have to resist looking at the Burt's Bees cosmetics or hair accessories from a company in France.

The best way to shop for clothing is towards the end of the season when mark downs are steep. Buy good quality, classic clothing that will last, not trendy items that look out of style in a year or two. Buy the best you can afford (on sale). Better one great cashmere sweater made in Australia then 10 acrylics from China. Find a few colors that look good on you, and with each other, then mix and match. Use accessories to make outfits look different.

Start to see frugality as a game and keep score by counting up how much money you save.

djjd62

Sat 4 Apr, 2009 05:21 pm
@Green Witch,
have you ever had swansons hungry man fried chicken frozen dinner topped with lice shampoo???

don't knock it until you've tried it
Green Witch

Sat 4 Apr, 2009 05:27 pm
@djjd62,
It's probably an improvement over the original recipe.
djjd62

Sat 4 Apr, 2009 05:29 pm
@Green Witch,
it's certainly bug free
0 Replies