I sent thomas away

farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 07:41 pm
@littlek,
get a copy of the AGI book called sediments and sedimentary structures, they have lotsa pictures and its a good aid for natural science students to get to associate patterns in rocks or soils with their formation or migration.
We call these little tricks " primary sedimentary associations" and these become very useful tools to find our map direction toward the basin centers where we may find concentrations of the actual ores.

If you recall how you interpret glacial features in New England, you can see the directions that eskers trend, or the directions that scratches in the basement rocks indicate the direction of movement of glaciers, These liesegang structures are a similar tool to use in searching for sedimentary ore deposits or even gas deposits. PArt of my book (in prep) is to cataolog a lot of these types of structures and how we use em and how they help us interpret ages and movement of rock bodies during their formation and deformation.

Happy Easter LilK
dadpad

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 12:27 am
My post and pic were in reference to margos pigface comments. sorry i didnt make that clearer.

Thomas' succulent photo is not carbropotus. The "leaf" formation seems rounded and slimmer than carboropotus.

Incidently pigface carboropotus is edible. palatable is a different story, although i guess, like always, if you're hungry/thirsty anything will do.

I have seen thomas' succulent here in gardens and associate it with being from the drier environments of USA but don't know what it's called.

The gnarly tree could be anything the photo doesn't show enough to make a guess.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:43 am
Thanks for that Farmerman - and happy easter back atcha!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:56 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
If you recall how you interpret glacial features in New England, you can see the directions that eskers trend, or the directions that scratches in the basement rocks indicate the direction of movement of glaciers,

I'm having a sudden flashback to Grade 10 geography and field trips around Kingston to look at glacial scrapings/eskers and erratics (fondly referred to as glaciar poop).
littlek

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 11:47 am
glacier poop - ha! The 8th graders I work with are learning about erosions including glacial erosion. They'd love your coinage, Beth.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 11:51 am
@littlek,
(helps you remember which way the glacier was travelling Wink )
littlek

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 11:54 am
@ehBeth,
< another aside - I feel like we're taking over Thomas and Dys' thread - f-man, check out this link! http://strata.geol.sc.edu/Deepwater/DeepwaterClasticSedStruct.html >
Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 02:42 pm
@littlek,
Oh, please do feel free to take it over, littlek! Now that Chaco Canyon has sparked my own interest in rocks, I'll just sit back and read along with the two of you.

Farmerman, it'll be an honor to burn a CD of the rocks and the Liesegangs. And I'm looking forward to seeing you later this month.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 02:54 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Well, yeah! You don't ever want to get run over by a run away glacier.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 02:56 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

Well, yeah! You don't ever want to get run over by a run away glacier.

Right !
Look at what happened to the Titanic!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 05:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Look at what happened to Roger's avatar ... love it.
roger

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 06:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Letty saw that and sent me an even better Eeyore. It's about identical to my front license plate. I may have to adopt that one.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:05 pm
On to the ruins. I wish I had taken notes -- the excavations look quite similar on the pictures, and now I'm confusing which picture is of which excavation. I do remember that the largest one is called Pueblo Bonito:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll88/guthobla/american_west_spring_2009/chaco_canyon_2009/ChacoCanyon_ruin_1.jpg

From another perspective:
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll88/guthobla/american_west_spring_2009/chaco_canyon_2009/ChacoCanyon_ruin_4.jpg

... and yet another. Here you can see that these were fairly high structures.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll88/guthobla/american_west_spring_2009/chaco_canyon_2009/ChacoCanyon_ruin_2.jpg

I think this one is Pueblo del Arroyo. Smaller, but looks similar.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll88/guthobla/american_west_spring_2009/chaco_canyon_2009/ChacoCanyon_ruin_6.jpg

The remotest site, Penasco Blanco, was my personal favorite. No signs keeping you on the trail. You can roam freely there, and you're absolutely alone. I didn't see a fellow hiker in three hours. Bliss!

Here's an overview of Penasco Blanco:
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll88/guthobla/american_west_spring_2009/chaco_canyon_2009/ChacoCanyon_ruin_9.jpg

... another angle ...
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll88/guthobla/american_west_spring_2009/chaco_canyon_2009/ChacoCanyon_ruin_8.jpg

... and this is the view the Anazazi had from their windows:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll88/guthobla/american_west_spring_2009/chaco_canyon_2009/ChacoCanyon_ruin_7.jpg

There is some important astronomical significance to the structures in Chaco Canyon, but I can't say much about it because I missed the tour. But I bought a couple of books, and will post a few lines once I've read up on the astronomy stuff.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:08 pm
@ehBeth,
PS to ehBeth: Love your glacier poop. (Big grin)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:23 pm
Glacier poop will fit nicely. We call "sole marksw" sed imentary tats..
LilK --that was one really good site for pix of sed/strat features. It much better than the ones Ive downloaded from AAPG.

Thomas,-Iv gotta do some checking on a site to do a blast in several months. Im going to do a prelim run to the N E Pa for a day hop in the next week . Whats yer schedule since were both back now.
Thomas

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:39 pm
@farmerman,
By "next week", are you referring to the week starting tomorrow, or the week starting tomorrow in a week? Either way, there is an, uh, informal tour that a potential employer wants to give me of their premises in Atlanta, GA. The date keeps shuffling around. I suggest that I nail it down as soon as I can, then call you.
farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:56 pm
@Thomas,
OK. I mean the week of the 20th
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 08:38 pm
Yeah I remember the astronomical significance bit, but no details. Generally the doors to dwellings faced East. There are spots on cliff-sides in the area with slabs of rock proped in ways that allow sunlight to enter between cracks at (or near) the solstices and equinoxes. The light shafts fall onto images inscribed in the rock on the cliff face behind the slabs. I wish I could find all my photos!

F-man - I was very impressed with the site. Glad youn were too.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 09:30 am
Aha, just the thing. In today's New York Times, there's an article answering "where is Silicon Valley?"
Silicon Valley
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 11:33 am
@littlek,
Contemporary hogans also face east.