I sent thomas away

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 03:45 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm hand wringing, but dys isn't. Turns out Thomas wasn't going to leave until dark (eek, from my sissy point of view). Thomas is resourceful, we have faith. Or, to be more exact, hope.

Well, all I can say is, you'd better be showing them a hell of a good time.

Or I don't like your chances with charity.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 06:13 am
@Thomas,
U will deem me REDUNDANT for bringing this up,
but it woud be responsible and competent to bring along
sufficient defensive firepower, in light of the fact that
the area is populated by cougars n blackbears who r willing to eat or maul Germans.

I 'd consider a minimum of a .30-30 rifle or above
and/or a .44 magnum revolver loaded with hollowpointed slugs.
These are good for remaining INTACT.

Another strategy is just to hope for the best
and let them do whatever thay want with u, however painful that may be for u.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 08:11 am
I hope Thomas got to Dys' house before we got the fierce wind and rain storm late last night. I checked this morning to be sure my trees survived. They did. Piles of leaves on my front walk this morning. Patio chairs blown across my yard. I hope the windy season ends soon.

BBB

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 08:48 am
Are there more pictures....?
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 09:48 am
@littlek,
Not from down here! When we were hiking at Torrey Pines State Park,
Thomas had forgotten his camera and I didn't bring mine as I've been there
so many times.
Here are some pictures of the state park though where we hiked.

http://img8.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=98957251.jpg
littlek

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 09:51 am
@CalamityJane,
I followed the link - surprised that there weren't many trees given the name of the park. Looks lovely.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 09:54 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Bears? That climate won't support three prairie dogs per square mile.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 10:05 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Cougars r a much more severe threat,
but the National Park Service says blackbears too.

Is that one of the 3 prairie dogs next to your name ?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 12:27 pm
@littlek,
There will be more pictures, yes. Just give me a little time to figure out how to manage large numbers of digital images. This is the first extensive series of pictures I shot with my new digital camera. (I had sentimentally stuck to my sturdy old celluloid film camera until only two months ago.) But as soon as I figure it out, I'll be happy to post more.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 12:42 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Never forget, David, that you're talking to a man who survives in much tougher environments without so much weaponry as a slingshot. Hardened in the dog-eat-dog worlds of driving in New Jersey and walking across red traffic lights in Boston, I'm sure I can survive every single black bear I'm likely to meet in Chaco Canyon.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 12:53 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Never forget, David, that you're talking to a man who survives in much tougher environments without so much weaponry as a slingshot. Hardened in the dog-eat-dog worlds of driving in New Jersey and walking across red traffic lights in Boston, I'm sure I can survive every single black bear I'm likely to meet in Chaco Canyon.

OK, Thomas.
I bet traffic was better in Chaco Canyon.

(I 'm still pleased that u were not eaten)
roger

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 12:57 pm
@Thomas,
I'm sure anybody could survive any black bear they met in Chaco Canyon.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 01:03 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I'm sure anybody could survive any black bear they met in Chaco Canyon.

Blackbears r small bears and not necessarily in bad moods.
Cougars r more dangerous.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 01:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
actually, Thomas was approached by a puma but as it neared Thomas it noted only the aroma of vegetables and being a meat-eater wandered off in search of rabbits.
Thomas

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 04:44 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Way to deflate my carefully crafted macho image. Thanks, Roger!

Dyslexia wrote:
]actually, Thomas was approached by a puma but as it neared Thomas it noted only the aroma of vegetables and being a meat-eater wandered off in search of rabbits.

Rabbits, of course, being a species best known for its rabid carnivorosity. Hence the name.
Thomas

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 05:22 pm
As for the pictures, I'll have to do them in several portions. I'll have one batch of SanDiego pictures, one with Portland pictures, and at least one with New Mexico pictures.

Let's start with San Diego. As Calamity Jane already said, I did not bring my camera when we met up. I meant to, but just when I got ready to meet her in the hotel lobby, I noticed the battery was empty. How strange -- my old, mechanical celluloid film camera never had this problem! But Calamity Jane's pictures give an excellent impression of the place. And I did take quite a few at the place that made me fall in love with San Diego. It's called Balboa park.

Balboa Park is and sits pretty much in the center of the city. Entering the park from the West, you find the grass and the trees shining in a lush green. Even in march, the shade below the big trees is very welcome, like at this picnic site. (Incidentally, this is where I saw the first ground squirrels of my life. (Sadly, I didn't manage to capture them on a picture.))
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll88/guthobla/american_west_spring_2009/SanDiego_BalboaPark_1.jpg

Presiding over the trees and meadows is the Museum of Man and the California Tower.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll88/guthobla/american_west_spring_2009/SanDiego_BalboaPark_2.jpg

As I walked towards California Tower, I ran into a superlative: the knobbiest-looking tree stems I had ever seen.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll88/guthobla/american_west_spring_2009/SanDiego_BalboaPark_3.jpg

Here's a close-up of the museum and the tower.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll88/guthobla/american_west_spring_2009/SanDiego_BalboaPark_4.jpg

The whole complex made me feel right at home: It felt very much like the Residenz in Munich, one of the places I miss dearly about Germany. Of course the resemblance comes with a distinct Mexican twist, such as in these buildings:
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll88/guthobla/american_west_spring_2009/SanDiego_BalboaPark_5.jpg

Walking farther East from the Museum complex, the vegetation becomes much more arid: There is no more grass, and all you see is cacti and other dry-climate plants. It's an interesting contrast. Here's a blooming cactus:
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll88/guthobla/american_west_spring_2009/SanDiego_Balboa_Park_6.jpg

This blooming plant is not a cactus, but it's the only plant I recognize from Europe. I saw its fat, juicy leaves at the beaches in Barcelona, Spain.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll88/guthobla/american_west_spring_2009/SanDiego_BalboaPark_7.jpg

Many of the cacti have characteristic, fascinating, and very odd shapes. Such as this one:
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll88/guthobla/american_west_spring_2009/SanDiego_BalboaPark_8.jpg

And that concludes the batch of my pictures from San Diego.
Thomas

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 05:28 pm
Okay, two points before I go on.

First, is the page still loading okay for you guys, or should I post smaller images? Personally I like images big, but I realize they must be hogging quite some bandwidth. I may not be able to please everyone in the end, but I do want to make this work for you as best I can.

Second, as I go through my pictures, I realize I'm completely helpless at naming plants in English, especially American plants. So if any of you recognizes the species in my pictures and can give me their names, I would appreciate that very much.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 05:38 pm
@Thomas,
Gorgeous, Thomas. I miss Balboa Park!
I don't know what that knobby tree is. My first thought was a melaleuca or leptospermum but the bark doesn't really match the varieties I know. Now I'm curious. The plant material in the park may be on some website, so I'll check around.
The bright fuchsia colored flowering plant is, I think, Drosanthemum rosea, or very similar, a kind of "ice plant". I think the coral flowering plant is an aloe, not quite sure (how soon I forget this stuff.)

I didn't see squirrels in our neighborhood in Los Angeles until, umm, around the eighties. I was pleased to see them. (I know they're considered pests. Oh, well.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 05:42 pm
@Thomas,
Hah, great minds. I can't help spouting out about plants. I recognize a lot of plants but my vocabulary is starting to wane as I no longer am a designing fool. I'll tell you what I'm thinking the plants are, and do a little checking to back myself up.

On the photos, love the size, myself.

Wondering if you saw any Bougainvillea.. I think one of them, the species plant, can grow here in Albuquerque - I going to have to check that out.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 05:46 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
he brought along a five year old with a revolver, i mean that seems to be your solution to most problems