Sat 28 Mar, 2009 06:42 pm
According to Bon Appetit the best hamburger in america is found at Bobcat Bite cafe on Old Santa Fe Trail east of Santa Fe New Mexico. They not only butcher their own beef they raise it as well (grass and corn fed).
If Thomas is not still being a vegetable when he gets here we will drive up their and pig out.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 27 • Views: 39,946 • Replies: 304
Topic Closed

ossobuco

Sat 28 Mar, 2009 06:46 pm
@dyslexia,
Sounds good, but I think the best hamburger in America was at Harvey's house..
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sat 28 Mar, 2009 07:20 pm
No, it's here - and I just had one as I was in Los Angeles today!

http://www.monkeypolice.co.uk/sanfrancisco2005/Images/545-IN-N-OUT-BURGER-ED.jpg

Edit (moderator): Image converted to link, was causing password prompts.
farmerman

Sat 28 Mar, 2009 08:03 pm
@dyslexia,
The secret of your meat isnt what you raise it on, but how you kill it. Death must come as a complete surprise to the beef. It must be in the throes of enjoying a final morsel of food when it is lightly killed without stirring up lactic acid in the musculature. Otherwise its tougher and bitter.

There was a little burger joint in Newark Ohio that made the best bacon cheeseburger with peanut butter on top. It was a bar near the OCF plant
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 28 Mar, 2009 08:03 pm
@dyslexia,
The secret of your meat isnt what you raise it on, but how you kill it. Death must come as a complete surprise to the beef. It must be in the throes of enjoying a final morsel of food when it is lightly killed without stirring up lactic acid in the musculature. Otherwise its tougher and bitter.

There was a little burger joint in Newark Ohio that made the best bacon cheeseburger with peanut butter on top. It was a bar near the Owens Corning plant
dyslexia

Sat 28 Mar, 2009 08:50 pm
@farmerman,
my beef were all killed in their corral at the feed bunk with a remington 270, one shot to the head.
raprap

Sat 28 Mar, 2009 09:27 pm
http://www.grandin.com/humane handling & slaughter is not an oxymoron.

now if you want a hamburger that will stick with you for several hours nothing beats a http://imgsrv.wncx.com/image/wncx/UserFiles/Image/353px-White_Castle_logo_svg.png

rap
Rockhead

Sat 28 Mar, 2009 09:30 pm
@raprap,
(sliders...)

not allowed in the rig on road trips.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Sat 28 Mar, 2009 10:34 pm
I'm pretty sure the best hamburger can be found at Walt's on South West Street in Wichita.
0 Replies

NickFun

Sun 29 Mar, 2009 02:23 pm
There was a little hamburger stand about 20 miles outside Fargo, ND about 25 years ago that made the best burger I ever had. It may not be there anymore. I bought three for the road.
farmerman

Sun 29 Mar, 2009 03:12 pm
@NickFun,
Steve Buscemi was murdered near there in a wood chipper. They closed it down shortly thereafter.
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 30 Mar, 2009 10:34 am
@CalamityJane,
Ohhhh I love In and Out burger. I always make sure I go to one when in CA.
Butrflynet

Mon 30 Mar, 2009 12:56 pm
@Linkat,
They are in 4 states now (CA, NV, AZ, UT) so you have even more opportunity.

http://www.in-n-out.com/locations.asp

Vietnamnurse

Mon 30 Mar, 2009 01:10 pm
The best hamburger in America is cooked by me at my house! Smile
Butrflynet

Mon 30 Mar, 2009 01:15 pm
The best hamburger I've ever had consistently was at the Berkeley Co-op's Walnut Creek store's lunch counter back in the 60's and 70's. In and Out burgers are a distant second.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Mon 30 Mar, 2009 01:15 pm
@Linkat,
We'll send you some...Wink
CalamityJane

Mon 30 Mar, 2009 01:16 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
Vietnamnurse wrote:

The best hamburger in America is cooked by me at my house! Smile

What's your address again? Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Mon 30 Mar, 2009 01:43 pm
I do not believe the In and Out Burger merits any discussion in this thread.
0 Replies

roger

Mon 30 Mar, 2009 01:48 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
Same here. Make them thick; cook them slow - all the way through.
ossobuco

Mon 30 Mar, 2009 01:56 pm
Sometimes best hamburgers have to do with where you had the first one you liked, and a kind of sentimental value - so I'll say one of the best for me was at the old Friar's coffee shop in Santa Monica. Simple fairly big burger with lettuce and tomato and pickles on a toasted bun that in retrospect was better than those mostly disintegrating things available now, the key being the thousand island dressing that up until then I'd never heard of. I'd probably roll my eyes at it now that I can distinguish really good meat, garden tomatoes in season, bla bla bla. But then it was fantastic.

I need to try the burgers at Indigo Crow, bet they're good.