Getting the insurance industry out of the health care system

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 08:38 am
The only way to achieve an medically and cost effective health care plan is to immediately change the method of payment to health care providers. The first step would be to stop using the term "health insurance" and start referring to it as "Health Care." The insurance Industry must be removed from participation or it will never work. It was Hillary Clinton's attempt to control the insurance industry that doomed her maiden effort during Bill Clinton's first term.

I have over 10 years of experience exploring how to change the US health care delivery system. I have watched everything that my Union employer tried to alert the health care professions and the public during the 1970s and 80s about HMOs and other provider group forms and the effect it would have on the quality and scope of health care. It was so difficult to try to make everyone recognize what was happening, much less prepare to do anything about it to avoid the disaster we are now in.

The only thing that will work is a not-for-profit single-payer health care system that does not include the insurance industry. It will be difficult enough to control the profit motives of the hospital industry.

Until we get the for-profit parties out of the health care system, the conditions we now face will only get worse. The insurance industry will fight to the death to prevent this from happening because they earn huge amounts of money by controlling health care through employer and private health insurance plans. They always cry "poor mouth" about their costs, but its a scam on the public.

If we get the insurance companies out of the picture and convert to a single payer system, it will help small employers as well as large, and everyone will have access to health care services.

I could go on and on, but this is getting too long and I'm getting riled up in frustration over the greed that has caused this situation.

BumbleBeeBoogie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 702 • Replies: 4
No top replies

the prince

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 08:45 am
When I see issues like this, sometimes I wonder why are places like India called the "Third World"...

(and pls this is not a discussion abt poverty...)

India's 'five-star' hospitals
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:02 am
Gautam
Gautam, thanks so much for the Indian hospital article. Amazing but not surprising. India's dedication to high quality education is having a tremendous impact on it's status in the world in all the sciences.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:20 am
Another charm of insurance-based health care: office surgery
HEALTH HAZARDS OF OFFICE-BASED SURGERY (Health & Medicine)
US News and World Reports - 9/30/03

"We don't have effective ways of monitoring all that happens within a doctor's office."
-- James Thompson, president of the Federation of State Medical Boards

Usually people visit a doctor's office to get better. But a number of people are getting worse--even dying--from things that happen in those offices. A study in the latest Archives of Surgery finds that the risk of serious injury or death is 10 times as high in a doctor's office as in an ambulatory surgery center, a free-standing clinic for outpatients.

Surgery and complicated diagnostic tests in a doctor's office carry heightened risks:

http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15504a86786a170716372a4
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 11:04 am
0 Replies